Cheap flat pedals/shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cheap flat pedals/shoes

I started mountain biking last year and used spd all summer. Now im thinking I dont like them that much and want to go with flats. I get to worried when hitting jumps and doing technical stuff when being clipped in. It really takes all the fun out of it.

What is a good CHEAP combo I can use for flats? Are there any shoes specifically made for mountain biking on flats that don't cost $100? And what are some good cheap pedals?

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If you are just starting out to see if you want flats, just got the LBS and get some of those $12 black plastic jobs. And wear whatever shoes you want. See how it goes. Personally, I am clipped in guy. You have only been ridding on them one year. At this point I can get my foot down just as fast as anyone who is using flats. Once your body learns that you have to turn out to step down, it happens like lightening. I'd say stick with the spd's

mtbr member
    You can probably pick up a good set of bmx flats for a pretty decent price. I think I paid 17 bucks for my Wellgos. The best shoes to use with them, if you don't want to break the bank, would be a pair of skate shoes with a flat sole. I used a pair of Adios, but Vans, DCs, even Wally-word specials will work. Personally, I prefer clipless, but the bmx pedal/skate shoe setup works really well. Don't just use the stock cheap-butt plastic jobbies with any old sneaker. The plastic pedals are darn-near worthless for grip, and sneakers are too soft-soled. They bend too much and you lose pedaling power. Good luck.
    2008 Specialized Safire Comp

mtbr member
    Do not get plastic pedals, those are terrible and you will slip out of them or you will bend them if you mash. I highly recommend you try out a pair of DMR V8s, they are cheap ($20), and fully serviceable. You can buy a nice set of flat sole shoes for 80 bucks; hell I use cheap ones and I get plenty of grip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I just bought me some Deity Decoys (82 USD) and have been pretty pleased with them.

They're not as cheap as Wellgo MG-1's, Azonic Fusions, etc., but I wanted a slim platform pedal.

As for cheap shoes... I went to Target and bought me some Mossimo skate shoes. Look for the one with the waffle pattern. They're not that bad; they stick pretty good to my pedals...especially for around 20 bucks!!!

mtbr member

pedals

I've had my Kona Jackshite pedals for 2 years now and haven't had a problem.Well,not totally true.My shins have suffered some.With the money you save get some shin pads!
    My shoes are el cheepo skate shoes.They work fine.After riding clipless for 10 years it took a couple of rides to get used to not being clipped in.You should have less trouble having just rode a season clipped in.

mtbr member
    There are a ton of pretty good, cheap pedals out there, but +1 on the Target shoes: http://www.target.com/Mossimo-Scythe...e=1&rh=&page=1

I run 'em and they work really well

mtbr member
    Well I just ordered some Azonic Fusions. My LBS never has anything in stock... The DMR V8s looked cooler, but the fusions were lighter and looked like they had a full platform. Going to scope out some super stores for shoes tomorrow. Looking for a flat rigid sole and a soft/tacky rubber on the bottom?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I would like to officially retract my previous statement. Those cheap black plastic pedals do suck. I don't know what I was thinking, or why I even posted that. I apologize. I usually give good useful and helpful information on these posts.

mtbr member
    [ Looking for a flat rigid sole and a soft/tacky rubber on the bottom?[/QUOTE]
    Soles need not be rigid like for clipless.Some say the floppier the better.

mtbr member

shoes

Quote Originally Posted by swaldrop
    There are a ton of pretty good, cheap pedals out there, but +1 on the Target shoes: http://www.target.com/Mossimo-Scythe...e=1&rh=&page=1

I run 'em and they work really well
    Looks like I found my next pair of shoes,thanx.

mtbr member

Kona Jacksh!t pedals

I have a pair of NIB Kona Jacksh!t pedals. PM if interested...

mtbr member
    Picked up some Nike air mogan 6.0's today. Got 'em on sale for $34. Ill let you guys know how they work with the fusions once they come in. I ended up paying almost $70 for the shoes and pedals. Not exactly cheap - hopefully I don't end up feeling like I should have just spent more and got the good stuff.

Rogue Warrior&Anarchist
    I use a pair of New Balances, also my street shoe, works good for me.
    mountain biking is not a crime, so quit giving me dirty looks before I bunnyhop your car

Murder for hire
    Quote Originally Posted by Ktse
    Do not get plastic pedals, those are terrible and you will slip out of them or you will bend them if you mash. I highly recommend you try out a pair of DMR V8s, they are cheap ($20), and fully serviceable. You can buy a nice set of flat sole shoes for 80 bucks; hell I use cheap ones and I get plenty of grip.
    i dissagree. ive got a pair of odyssey twisted pc pedals with a pair of $50 etnies skate sneakers, & the stick like glue!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Just got a pair of Five Ten shoes at pricepoint for 50 bucks. Think they are last years model, stealth rubber, supposed to stick like glue. Havent had the chance to try them yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TDQuiksilver
    Any other suggestions?

Any other questions?

PS - Welcome to mtbr & mountain biking.

Apr 2009
    New here. Really liking the Wellgo MG-1's!

Any other suggestions?

mtbr member

Clipless vs platforms?

OK: Lots of great info on this subject, but I still have some questions;
    New to the sport, replaced the platform pedals that came with my FSR XC with Shimano M424 platform clipless hybred pedal. I use mtb shoes, but have really been struggling with getting off the bike. I usually finish each ride with a new set of bruises and bloody shins/knees as a result (at 47 I don't heal as fast as I use to). I have the pedals adjusted nearly wide open already.
    I'm cool on the easier stuff but struggle on the tech areas.

I'm thinking of putting back on the original platforms and removing the cleat from the mtb shoes and wearing them. Any thoughts?

Another option is wear a pair of old roller hockey shin guards I found in my attack and suck it up.

Not sure how many more close encounters with rocks and boulders I can handle.
    I open the forum for suggestions (or ridicule)

mtbr member

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Paulk
    I open the forum for suggestions (or ridicule)
    Anyone who's ever used clipless pedals shouldn't ridicule you because we've all been there. How long have you been riding clipless? Unfortunately, there's a learning curve associated with using them, and that learning curve is different for everyone. I took some gnarly falls when I was just learning, chipped my shin bone, busted my elbow open, bruised from my shin to my hip, etc. Now, though, I feel uncomfortable if I'm NOT clipped in. So...my suggestion would be to give it a fair chance. You still have a platform cage around the pedal, so take advantage of that while you're riding. Since you should be looking ahead of you up the trail, you'll probably have a bit of a heads up when you're going to come along to something that's a little uncomfortable for you, so clip out and ride through on the platforms. Eventually, you'll get more comfortable and wont' need to clip out.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the encouragement and feedback.
    Only been MTBing for about 2 months, clipped in or otherwise. While all of my falls are at low speed (some of the worst in my driveway or parking lot) its still very frustrating. I have been disengaging the cleat when I see difficult terrain, but the pedal often re-engages in process. Part of the problem is nearest trail to home is pretty tough. The easier ones are still too wet. Hopefully things will dry out here soon and I can gain some confidence.

Out there
    Aug 2006
    It's good to have both clipless and flat pedals so you have the option of swinging either way.

The only time I ride flats is for jumping or riding skinnies or practising manuals/wheelies, that kind of thing. I find it really hard to imagine riding gnarl without being clipped in. Even when towing a trail-a-bike I ride clips.

However the flats are always in my toolbox, which is always in the truck I drive to the trailhead in.

I just bought a DH bike and I'm half persuaded to try riding it on flats. Mostly because I hate coming unclipped in the air.
    All problems in mountain biking can be solved by going faster, except the ones that are caused by going too fast.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Im using Welgo B-81 platforms and a pair of slip ons checkered vans with the waffle pattern. When riding platforms you cant beat a big pedal and any shoe with the waffle pattern soles. But, im riding a SS rigid so the ride gets a bit bumpy sometimes and i do come off of the pedal at times. Its almost time for me to go clipless.

Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by NoobHill
    Picked up some Nike air mogan 6.0's today. Got 'em on sale for $34. Ill let you guys know how they work with the fusions once they come in. I ended up paying almost $70 for the shoes and pedals. Not exactly cheap - hopefully I don't end up feeling like I should have just spent more and got the good stuff.
    nice...where did you find them for that price? hook me up!

mtbr member

Suggestions

Clipping in and clipping out is a conscious act. Then it becomes automatic.

For practice try this:
    Ride with the pedal in the middle of your shoe so you are Not clipped in.(Do this with flats too).
    Ride slowly around the street right next to the curb on your right side. Practice coming to a stop using your brakes and leaning to the right. Just as you "tip" shove your right foot heel out to the right to take it off the pedal-place it on the curb to stop.

This is the same action when clipping out to come to a stop. Now try it clipped in. You will want to create a fluid motion of braking and leaning (the Tipping point) and moving your heel First to take the foot off the pedal before falling over.

Now try the left side.

Dismount practice. Ride in a straight line. Grab both brakes. Just before stopping put all your weight on the left pedal as it enters the down stroke. Right foot heel out-clip out-raise the right foot-back behind the rear tire-all your weight on the left foot-As the brakes bring you to a stop you will naturally put your right foot down - on the ground left of the bike at about the rear axle-right foot behind you-and your left foot will naturally clip out on it's own as you dismount to the left of the bike. Your weight will take you forward onto your left foot. You can now stop or continue running along side your bike.

Now try the right side. (Flying dismount... )

This is often used to dismount to lift bike over a log cyclo cross style.

Practice; practice; practice Before going out on the trail. Then it will be second nature.

Not sure my write up makes sense if you have never seen this done.

hope that helps - (would a video help?)

mtbr member
    Still haven't got a chance to ride my new shoes/pedals on the trails. Its been raining and snowing every 2-3 days around here. I did take em out on a local rails to trails. Even on a flat roadbed I didn't really miss being clipped in a whole lot... A lot less than I thought I would. The only problem so far is that I am still trying to pull the bike up with my feet when hopping obstacles. Not a very good idea when your just pulling your feet off the bike because they aren't attached, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by puffdc
    nice...where did you find them for that price? hook me up!
    Sorry didn't see your reply. Found them at Dunham's sports. Seemed like all the skating shoes were on a major sale when I was in there.

Members who have read this thread: 0