Chamois usage ?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Chamois usage ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Chamois usage ?

Does everyone who rides a MTB or Road use Chamois. I tried on a pair and all i could think of was my little boys must hate having this diaper on.

Maybe I just didn't get a good fit on the ones I tried but I didn't care for the feel. I have ridden over 20 miles to date on 2 separate bikes without chamois and have no pain issues but maybe I am just not gotten accustomed to the bike yet.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I generally ride with compression fit underarmor or similar shorts under my baggies. I've ridden with chamois and they do not agree with me at all.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I ride Brooks saddles and wool underwear, no need to wear a chamois.

Carbon or Commie?
    I wear a chamois. Keeps my 'boys' from bouncing on the saddle. And gives me a 'little' protection should a top tube strike be headed towards my perineum (OUCH).

I imagine that compression fit shorts would have much of the same effect. Though, I get more chafing with compression fit shorts than a chamois.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Better get a comfortable saddle. I find that you either need a chamois + a race saddle, or a plush saddle and no chamois.

Chamois keep my bum from going numb over long distances, which I like. I think most people are OK without a chamois if you work up to it. I have a buddy that has been riding for almost as long as I have and he bought his first chamois this year. He loved it though.

mtbr member
    I never ride without one. I use chamois cream as well.

I think the main purpose of the chamois is to transfer moisture away from your skin, to keep you dry and prevent chafing. A little extra padding is the bonus.

A proper fitting lycra w/ chamois should be very tight, as tight as you can stand, so that the chamois moves with you, when you scoot around on your seat. If your chamois is bunching up, then you probably have a size too big.

I do know a few people that don't use them, though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I always use a chamois when riding for all of the afore mentioned reasons. The feel of a chamois does take some getting use to when walking around (the diaper analogy is a good one ). However, I never really feel it when peddling.

undercover brother
    Quote Originally Posted by scribble79 View Post
    Does everyone who rides a MTB or Road use Chamois. I tried on a pair and all i could think of was my little boys must hate having this diaper on.

Maybe I just didn't get a good fit on the ones I tried but I didn't care for the feel. I have ridden over 20 miles to date on 2 separate bikes without chamois and have no pain issues but maybe I am just not gotten accustomed to the bike yet.
    You get used to it. I couldn't imagine riding without now. It's been years since I started wearing them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I use them. Keeps things in order and prevents sweat sores.

mtbr member
    Great chamois feel great, bad chamois feel bad.

I never understand why people will spend lots of money on a saddle or other parts, but not invest in a good chamois. Buy a good one, you will be happy.

Perpetual Hack
    IMO the more panels the better.
    I have Endura Humvee and both the stock 6 panel and an Endura 8 panel chamois.
    These clip into the baggies via 12 snaps around the waste.
    The 8 panel is much more comfortable.
    When you first put them on, you do get the diaper feeling.
    With a bit of time and body-heat they tend to conform.
    By the end of the ride, I don't notice them and have even left them on for the 2 hour drive home.
    I don't like to ride without anymore, I feel naked on the bike.

just me 2 pence

michael
    Hatched in '64
    A Dirtbag since '69
    A Knomer since '07

Knolly Fugitive
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Endorphin
    Knolly Delirium

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

I wear shorts with "chamois" pads and have for 25+ years. A good pad is a blessing. A bad one hell. A few hours in the saddle without padded shorts can rub you raw, and hurt for days.

Overall comfort also depends on the saddle being the right shape.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by desertred View Post
    However, I never really feel it when peddling.
    +1

I like the extra padding aspect but as was said, important they should fit snug, too much sloppy material down there can LEAD to chafing.
    I dont really find I hang out all day long in them, just for the ride, so from house to car and car to the trail I think it's do-able.

Oh, and I'm sure others can chime in as to why, but I remember reading the tight lycra short also helps to keep heat in the muscle and can translate to better performance, and I know they claim you take less injury (a benefit, why most of the hi impact sports athletes have gone to them, I believe). So if you nose wheelie at least your thighs will survive....

I swear by em too. I put on a pair under my loose thigh jeans just for a ride to the store, I wont go anywhere ona bike w/out em... its like suspension... IN MY PANTS!!!
    Last edited by StumpyH; 10-20-2012 at 02:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Any brands that are the "best"

Sent from my Samsung galaxy S2

Carbon or Commie?

The ones that fit you best.

Different shapes of chamois fit different shapes of junk/saddle/etc combos better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Some places won't let you try them on due to the nature of them.
    So just trial and error than.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Generally, I find the Voler shorts to be very comfortable.

They also supply a prepaid return envelope if they do not fit.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Flow like water
    Some good brands are:

Capo
    Sugoi
    Pearl Izumi
    Giordana

There are other good brands. These are ones with good reviews which I own and like. They range from bib shorts to underwear shorts.

mtbr member
    I use em... Nothing sucks more than when one boy bounces off one side of saddle whilst the other boy simultaneously bounces off the other side of the saddle... Wont ever go back to "free ballin"... Use Zoic chamois that came with my Ether shorts... works quite well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

chamois types

I've been riding a little over 10 years, road and mountain. Always wearing shorts with a chamois. Use a chamois that is not to thick and definitely not gel pads. And use a cream if it is a warm day to prevent chaffing.

Members who have read this thread: 0