Chafing--thoughts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Chafing--thoughts

I have been getting some chafing right where the chamois ends, on the back of my legs. Kind of in the fold where my hamstrings meet the glutes.

I went wider with my saddle (155mm) after measuring on the Bontrager and Specialized seat thing, and having some numbness/prostate issues. All that has resolved.

I generally use chamois butt'r and it does not seem to matter which shorts (De Soto, Bontrager, and some Salsa ones). To be fair, I only notice it on rides over 6 hours.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Save Jesus
    Its possible the inner liner is too loose? Is it removable? If so, try some of the regular lycra roadie shorts underneath.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I was turned on to Under Armour HeatGear compression shorts a few months back:
    - Men's HeatGearŪ Compression 7" Shorts | 1201164 | Under Armour US

I had been getting chafing after about 2 hrs. of riding in hotter weather, now have been good up to 5 hrs. of riding, which has been my longest to date. You wan them to fit really snug

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Regarding fit:
    I prefer wearing road bibs (i've tried several makes and models and found some I like) underneath some boardshorts/riding shorts. It's nice that it's more common that companies are making shorts with removable liners these days; so you can still use the shell if you don't like the liner. I'd keep experimenting a bit with different brands, sure it can be expensive; but totally worth it if you're riding that much.
    Chamois butter:
    Me and chamois butter never got along; it was like throwing fuel on the fire. I'd say stay away but to each their own.
    Ride duration:
    Did you just recently up your riding time a lot? Perhaps, your body simply needs to adapt to the wear and tear of long rides?
    Hygeine:
    It's been a while since I was doing rides of that length; but when I was I found that being extra fastidious in cleaning those regions of the body went a long way to minimizing any discomfort.

mtbr member
    Make sure your seat is at the proper height. If the seat is too high, even a little. This could be the cause.
    Salsa Timberjack 27+
    Niner Jet 9
    Misfit diSSent 1x11

Members who have read this thread: 1