CB Mallet question- Mtbr.com
    I Strava Hamburgers

CB Mallet question

What shoes / cleat combo do you wear with these? Do regular cleats work? They seem like they only work with certain shoes.

Whats your combo?

mtbr member
    Three different shoes all work fine - Shimano M161's , Sidi Dominators, cheaper flimsy Shimanos.
    I need the cleat shims in the M161's to get easy engagement.

meow meow
    spec shoes with std brass cleats here.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Thanks guys.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    What shoes / cleat combo do you wear with these? Do regular cleats work? They seem like they only work with certain shoes.

Whats your combo?
    Mallets use the same Crank Bros. cleats as every other CB pedal.

Some shoes may work better than others but I have no issues with any of the 3-4 models I use with Mallets and Acids.
    Last edited by shiggy; 11-13-2011 at 11:43 AM.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

I Strava Hamburgers
    Really?

Hrm... just the look of it seems like you'd need to shim your cleats up pretty heavy to get engagement.

Wish the LBS would have a demo unit so I could see it in person.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Same cleat for engagement, but shoes wise it looks like you'd need shims and other shenanigans to get the proper engagement on a cleat.

That's all I was lookin for

Same cleat for engagement, but shoes wise it looks like you'd need shims and other shenanigans to get the proper engagement on a cleat.

That's all I was lookin for
    No more than any CB (or other brand) pedal.
    The Mallet does have adjustable grip pins you may want/need to play with.
    mtbtires.com

Really?

Hrm... just the look of it seems like you'd need to shim your cleats up pretty heavy to get engagement.

Wish the LBS would have a demo unit so I could see it in person.
    I use maybe one shim under the cleat.
    Sounds like you have not used clipless pedals.
    All clipless mtb pedals use a recessed cleat that is designed NOT to protrude above the shoe tread. The wings/jaws of the pedal reach into the cleat pocket
    mtbtires.com

I Strava Hamburgers
    No no, I've used clipless. The shoes I use though seem to be fairly recessed and engagement seems alright for the cleat I'm using. It just seems that the CB mallet mix would require a flatter shoe or one without a heavily recessed tread design thats all.

mtbr member
    I just tried a new set of mallets with five tens and it was the worst set up ever.

First off the five tens are big (nothing wrong with that, it's just how five tens are) then I am now hearing the new mallets have a bit shorter axle, so the pedal sits closer to the crank arm and that was causing it to be very hard (or impossible) to un-clip out of the pedal because your shoe would just hit the crank arm. if your crank arm was clocked just right you could get out. But to me that's not how I want to have a clipped pedal system work.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimba View Post
    I just tried a new set of mallets with five tens and it was the worst set up ever.

First off the five tens are big (nothing wrong with that, it's just how five tens are) then I am now hearing the new mallets have a bit shorter axle, so the pedal sits closer to the crank arm and that was causing it to be very hard (or impossible) to un-clip out of the pedal because your shoe would just hit the crank arm. if your crank arm was clocked just right you could get out. But to me that's not how I want to have a clipped pedal system work.
    Why don't you turn your foot the other direction? On my road bike I can unclip my very old Look Delta style pedals in any direction.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

5.10 CB Mallet combo

I just bought the 5.10 Hellcats and CB Mallets. My first time using clipless pedals. The problem I see so far is the cleat is deep within the tread so I need to use a shim of some type. The one that came with the pedals wasnt enough. The inside toe area of the shoe will come in contact with the crankarm at certain spots while pedaling. Due to the shoe being wide. Moving the cleat helps a little which I guess is enough. Anyone else having these problems? I am thinking outside the box and gonna try a combo of washers and cutting an old creditcard to use as a shim. I see CB makes a shoe shield but it looks pretty thin too. I hate the idea of cutting into brand new show soles right now to make room for the eggbeaters. All ideas are welcome. Thanks!!!
    2018 Intense Sniper XC

So move the cleat further inboard.

And many shoes with any pedal can hit the crank arm when rotating your heel out at certain points in the crank rotation. Can not say I have ever not released because of it.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by 037jeff View Post
    I just bought the 5.10 Hellcats and CB Mallets. My first time using clipless pedals. The problem I see so far is the cleat is deep within the tread so I need to use a shim of some type. The one that came with the pedals wasnt enough. The inside toe area of the shoe will come in contact with the crankarm at certain spots while pedaling. Due to the shoe being wide. Moving the cleat helps a little which I guess is enough. Anyone else having these problems? I am thinking outside the box and gonna try a combo of washers and cutting an old creditcard to use as a shim. I see CB makes a shoe shield but it looks pretty thin too. I hate the idea of cutting into brand new show soles right now to make room for the eggbeaters. All ideas are welcome. Thanks!!!
    The pedals should have double cleat shims in the box. You may also need to reduce the height of the Mallet's grip pins. Mostly the pins just make it tougher to rotate the shoe to clip out.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    So move the cleat further inboard.

And many shoes with any pedal can hit the crank arm when rotating your heel out at certain points in the crank rotation. Can not say I have ever not released because of it.
    I did move it inboard, that helped but it would still rub.

@ CS2, if my release foot was clocked aft and i tried rotating y foot out, the toe area would hit the crank and would not release.

If you look at old mallets compared to the new, the new have a smaller width dimension which cause this problem.

MarkyMark
    Shimano DX w/ 1 plastic shim.

Whats your combo?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I got ripped off I didn't get two sets of shims all I got were two extra thin ones!
    2018 Intense Sniper XC

CS2
    mtbr member
    I did move it inboard, that helped but it would still rub.

@ CS2, if my release foot was clocked aft and i tried rotating y foot out, the toe area would hit the crank and would not release.

If you look at old mallets compared to the new, the new have a smaller width dimension which cause this problem.
    I didn't realize that. I was under the impression you could turn in any direction.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Finally was able to ride 5.10s and CB mallets. Everything seemed to work good. At times a little tough clipping in. I don't know if it's user error or the cleat needing to be shimmed out a little more than what I have done already. I think I am using 3-4 shims. How far out does the cleat need to be? Is it flush with the tread of the shoe or just a hair above the tread. So u get that awesome tap dancer sound when walking.
    2018 Intense Sniper XC

Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    I didn't realize that. I was under the impression you could turn in any direction.
    I have the new Mallets and can release by turning my heel in or out, just like every other CB pedal. Granted, if I try to twist out with the cranks in a position where my shoe hits the crank arm it may not release, but that can happen with ANY clip less pedal and shoe.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by 037jeff View Post
    Finally was able to ride 5.10s and CB mallets. Everything seemed to work good. At times a little tough clipping in. I don't know if it's user error or the cleat needing to be shimmed out a little more than what I have done already. I think I am using 3-4 shims. How far out does the cleat need to be? Is it flush with the tread of the shoe or just a hair above the tread. So u get that awesome tap dancer sound when walking.
    The cleats do not need to be flush with the outsole.

Sometimes a break in period is required, especially with new shoes.

Clip the shoes in and look for interference. May have nothing to do with the cleat depth.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I will give that a shot thanks. I have discovered that I may need to do some trimming on the sole which I am not happy about. But I think the issue is more user error and working thru the break in period. Thanks again!!!
    2018 Intense Sniper XC