"Casual" SPD Shoes, Size 14?- Mtbr.com

Feb 2007

"Casual" SPD Shoes, Size 14?

I wear a size 14 shoe, and I'm looking for a casual SPD shoe for around town use. It's got to meet the following criteria-

1) Stiff enough that I can pull a fully-loaded baby trailer.
    2) Enough tread & grip that I can walk through a super market without breaking an ankle.
    3) Casual enough to pass for street shoes.

Shimano & Lake's size 14 shoes seem to run small. I love the SixSixOne Filters, but they don't come big enough. I'd rather not wear an SPD sandal, but the Keen Comuters seem to be the best option in Size 14.

Are there any other options out there that I'm missing?

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    the fat cyclist swears by keens. i hear ya bout sandals tho. course i usually ride sandals and flats. and i pull a baby trailer too.

don't mean to hijack, but have you seen this: http://reviews.mtbr.com/blog/ibert-s...er-pro-review/

i wish i woulda got one instead of a trailer, course, i can get groceries in the trailer.

but back to shoes, i don't run clipless, so i can't help yeah. maybe i shouldn't have even posted. good luck man.

mtbr member
    Cannondale Roam's come in a uk 13 which is a usa 14, i think. I am on my second pair now, the newer model is alot stiffer which is good on the bike but it makes them a little hard to walk in. I can't fit into shimano uk 13's either so they might work for you. Specialized also go up to that size and they have a casual shoe the taho, I haven't tried them but wear other specialized mtb shoes so the sizing should be ok.

Feb 2007
    Thanks, guys, I'll check out the Cannondale Roams & Specialized Tahoes.

It may sound crazy, but I'm actually considering building myself a pair of SPD Birkenstocks...at least with Birkies I don't look like I'm supposed to be wading through a river...

Last night I was putting away my much-loved Rocket7 shoes, when I realized that the heel of my Birkies was the same width as the Rocket7 heel. I read on another forum about building custom shoes. The main advice there was that it shouldn't be tried because the vast majority of shoes nowadays are not designed to be repaired, let alone taken apart. I've had my Birkies resoled countless times, so that's a plus right there!

I'm restoring a fiberglass/wood kayak in my "free time," so I've gotten into the whole fiberglass & epoxy scene. My theory is that I could take the rubber sole off the sandals, epoxy a piece of fiberglass onto the footbed, along with the SPD mounting plate, cut a hole in a new set of sole for the SPD cleats, epoxy the new sole onto the fiberglass, and then just add SPD cleats. The fiberglass layer will stiffen the sole, as well as provide a foundation for the SPD mounting plate.

I'm going to do some experimenting with epoxy, cork and rubber: I need to make sure that the epoxy won't melt either the Birkie cork or rubber.

My motivation is that I've gotten sick & tired of mail order shoes that don't fit. Granted, I won't have a cool pair of skateboard-style sneakers, but at least I'll have something that I already know fits: Form Follows Function. Life is too short to wear bike shoes that give me numb toes and ingrown toenails...

Feb 2007

Thanks guys- SPD Birkenstocks in the Works

Thanks for the recommendations on the Cannondale & Specialized shoes. I've been burned one too many times on mail-order shoes (I already have one pair of too-small, mail-order shoes at home), so I'm going to pass on buying new shoes unless I can try them on first.

I was putting away my much-loved Rocket7 cleats last night when I noticed that the heel of my Birkenstock sandals (3 strap) was just as narrow as the Rocket7 heel. My Birkies are the most comfortable shoes that I own, next to my Rocket7 cleats. I was reading on another forum about making custom SPD shoes, so I think that I might try that with my Birkies.

Unlike most other shoes, Birkenstocks are actually designed to be repaired. I talked with my regular cobbler, and he concurred that it would relatively simple to remove the rubber sole, and expose the cork footbed. I've been working with fiberglass & epoxy while restoring a kayak, so I've got some experience in that field. My plan is to epoxy a fiberglass layer between the footbed & sole, thus stiffening the shoe & providing an anchor for the SPD mounting plate. I'll be vacuum-setting the fiberglass in place, followed by the rubber sole.

Before I start ripping apart my beloved Birkies, I'm going to experiment do some epoxy experiments- I want to make sure that the epoxy doesn't melt either the cork footbed or the rubber sole.

If it works, I'll post pix.

While the Keen Commuter sandals are certainly tempting, the wife is in grad school this summer, so I just don't have the money for new shoes. Plus, Birkenstock sandals are a lot less conspicuous than something that looks more appropriate on a rafting expedition.

Members who have read this thread: 0