Castelli Emergency Rain Jacket- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2018

Castelli Emergency Rain Jacket

Hi to all.

Anyone who has this jacket? https://www.castelli-cycling.com/cas...451750018P-089

Im searching a light and packable rain jacket that stows into jersey pocket, waterproof one, breathability is a plus too.

Cheers

Karri

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilone View Post
    Hi to all.

Anyone who has this jacket? https://www.castelli-cycling.com/cas...451750018P-089

Im searching a light and packable rain jacket that stows into jersey pocket, waterproof one, breathability is a plus too.

Cheers

Karri
    We've had some pretty heavy rain here over the last few weeks.

I got this one to replace an OR Helium II: https://www.patagonia.com/product/me...&start=1&sz=24

The OR was nice, but the zipper design allowed the handle to pull out and once it happened, it would pull out all the time after and the design was such that you couldn't stick a paperclip or anything in there. I made REI buy it back. I'm happy with the Patagonia. As you'll see in the link, there's a hood, it can go over or under a helmet, it has pit-zips, and it's very packable. I will throw this into my pack or frame-bag, in fact I did yesterday. It's an understatement to say I've been testing it recently

I also usually buy these things one size up so I can fit a slim camelback underneath it and/or just throw it on over whatever I already have on, for extra warmth.

I also take an even lighter packable jacket at times, that packs to about the size of your fist, this easily fits in an external pouch on my osprey pack, not waterproof though.

For me, a hood is essential, it significantly boosts warmth in "emergency" situations. It can be tucked into the jacket when worn if not needed, but it's nice to have and a necessity for me.

A waterproof one that is small enough to fit into a jersey pocket is probably not going to happen, I'm fairly familiar with the sizes of these things and what you are asking for is not possible, I've tried a lot of these. The stuff the size of your fist is not going to be waterproof, however some of it doesn't breath for crap so it locks in a LOT of heat (and moisture), again good in an emergency. I had a nice Marmot one like this, but it was not much more than a glorified trash-bag.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jayem, check out the Gore $hake Dry. It eliminates the outer face fabric of a 3 ply jacket, so you just have the wp/br membrane laminated to the liner fabric. It packs down super small. They have a runner's jacket with a hood, and a cycling jacket with a drop tail, but no hood unfortunately. Some reviews and videos around the web. Looks pretty impressive, if you can justify the cost.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Thanks for the reply Jayem.

Yeah, i know that actually waterproof+breathable+packable is a bit of a stretch. Just looking for one that keeps out the rain for 2 hours or so. I do have one Event shell and one Gore-Tex jacket with hood but both are more for hiking and such so the cut is not cycling focused and they are too big to fit jersey pocket.

Actually found pretty interesting jacket from Endura; FS260-Pro Adrenaline Race Cape. Packs away pretty small and has sealed seams even. Claimed waterpilar 15000 and breathability 20000, about 65. Too good to be true? Dont know about that but thought id go check it out at my LBS.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by d365 View Post
    Jayem, check out the Gore $hake Dry. It eliminates the outer face fabric of a 3 ply jacket, so you just have the wp/br membrane laminated to the liner fabric. It packs down super small. They have a runner's jacket with a hood, and a cycling jacket with a drop tail, but no hood unfortunately. Some reviews and videos around the web. Looks pretty impressive, if you can justify the cost.
    I've seen those, looked at them when I went with my latest jacket, then I thought about abrasions and normal wear and tear. All it takes is just rubbing up against something to destroy your membrane. Practical? I'm not sure for anything other than hiking/running. I also like how the one I posted above has pit-zips and the helium II had stretchy material down the torso to also help breath better. I opened up my zips and the zipper and got a nice "blow through" effect a few days ago when the rain was starting to taper off.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

mtbr member
    Anything I've tried I'm either soaked from rain or soaked from sweat, or both. The thing I go for is layers and wind blocking so I don't get chilled. Maybe I'm weird, but I still sweat riding hard when chilled.
    Do the math.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    Anything I've tried I'm either soaked from rain or soaked from sweat, or both. The thing I go for is layers and wind blocking so I don't get chilled. Maybe I'm weird, but I still sweat riding hard when chilled.
    Same here. The difference is when you got some water-proof-ness your sweat will be because you are working hard and making heat, in other words, staying warm, vs. being totally soaked by cold rain from the outside, which can super-cool you and give you real hypothermia concerns. That's where things like hoods come in for me.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Another idea, the patagonia is about "two fists"-worth, but I have to wonder what you could do with a vacuum packer? Probably shrink it significantly. My lightweight OR (not waterproof) packable which goes smaller has built-in straps that you can use to cinch it down a bit more. You can definitely take some space out of the patagonia and get it down to about 1-fist size by just squeezing it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Practical? I'm not sure for anything other than hiking/running.

I think that depends on the circumstances and what you expect out of it. I live in a relatively dry area but it's mountainous so at times storms can be unpredictable and I'd love to have a 100 gram rain jacket I could stash in a jersey pocket just in case. I wouldn't expect much more from it than to just get me home before I'm hypothermic. I'm a fair weather rider.

$300 though? I'll keep risking it for now.
    I brake for stinkbugs