carbon shoes worth the money for a 140 lbs rider?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

carbon shoes worth the money for a 140 lbs rider?

I was thinking about getting some new shoes. I weigh 140 lbs, are carbon sole shoes worth the money? would I notice the stiffness at my weight?

I also see some shoes like the Shimano SH-XC70 that have some carbon in the sole, but not as much as the XC90.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    the short answer is yes. Carbon shoes are generally lighter, as well as stiffer. You will notice both especially with a small pedal like an eggbeater. They are a PITA to walk in though. You don't ever want to have to hike back to the car in race shoes.

Rent this space for $
    Yes. And yes, at 140 they will have a positive impact. A quality carbon soled mtb shoe does not have to be a hideous walking platform like roadie shoes, either. I have found over numerous shoes that the spendy shoes do make a difference. If you can fit Shimano's line, you're likely familiar already. Consider Pearl Izumi for a similar fit but at perhaps a different nominal size as they seem to sized unusually so try different size options other than your normal "go-to" if you have the opportunity.

From Shimano, I went to the Project 3.0 Pearl Izumi which has a very stiff sole where it needs to be but is built with hinging capability in the right spots to allow for comfortable walking. I stumbled on a killer deal the 3.0's at Art's and bought 2 pair for about $90 each. They were a $180 shoe. I had my eye on the Project 2.0 with a boa lace system but they were always at $280 and never on sale...until last month I just happened to catch another insane Art's deal, by chance. $65/pair blowout and I fit a size that I wouldn't normally have considered. I bought a set for my buddy, too but they were too snug...so I have 2 pairs!

Anyway, check the P.I's out if you get a chance and look for killer deals!

mtbr member
    You'll feel the difference from the very first pedal stroke. Where that super stiff feel is worth the price premium is up to you.

Some manufacturers will do "partial" carbon soles too...to bring down the price a bit. The ones with the full length carbon soles can get pricey real quick. The lighter the shoes...the lighter your wallet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Yes. And yes, at 140 they will have a positive impact. A quality carbon soled mtb shoe does not have to be a hideous walking platform like roadie shoes, either. I have found over numerous shoes that the spendy shoes do make a difference. If you can fit Shimano's line, you're likely familiar already. Consider Pearl Izumi for a similar fit but at perhaps a different nominal size as they seem to sized unusually so try different size options other than your normal "go-to" if you have the opportunity.

From Shimano, I went to the Project 3.0 Pearl Izumi which has a very stiff sole where it needs to be but is built with hinging capability in the right spots to allow for comfortable walking. I stumbled on a killer deal the 3.0's at Art's and bought 2 pair for about $90 each. They were a $180 shoe. I had my eye on the Project 2.0 with a boa lace system but they were always at $280 and never on sale...until last month I just happened to catch another insane Art's deal, by chance. $65/pair blowout and I fit a size that I wouldn't normally have considered. I bought a set for my buddy, too but they were too snug...so I have 2 pairs!

Anyway, check the P.I's out if you get a chance and look for killer deals!
    thanks. I found those pearl izumi for $134. even at that price I think they may be the cheapest all carbon shoes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have Lake cycling shoe. It is great. Lots of stiffness but it is tough to walk.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

EAT MORE GRIME
    I buy only one thing from specialized, the high end carbon sole shoes

worth it. can't kill them, and oh so much leg speed

mtbr member
    jensonusa has the 2015 giro code vr70 shoes for $125. I ordered 3 sizes to try.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I'm similar weight and was stuck on my strava time for 2 months. After upgrading to carbon shoe and XT pedal, I improved a whole 2 minutes (total time 1hr).

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    YES! The stiffness alone is worth it! I am 145 lbs and use the Bontrager Cambion's, love the BOA system, makes it easy to adjust on the fly. BK