carbon seatpost/bars and winter shoes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

carbon seatpost/bars and winter shoes?

Can you use a carbon seatpost and handlebars in the winter or are they too brittle and will break? If you can are there any advantages to having a carbon seatpost and handlebars like less weight? I also heard they don't transmit cold as much so "in theory" your hands won't get as cold?

Lake winter riding boots, if you have them do you buy a bigger size and if so why?

If you wear regular winter boots with flat pedals, what type of flat pedals do you have and what specific type of winter boots do you wear with them? And, do you also wear a bigger size boot with the flat pedals, if so how much bigger? Or do you wear your normal size boot and then wear neos over them when it is really cold? If you wear neos where do you buy them and is the reason you wear them because they help keep the warmth in? Would you also buy a larger size neo?

Thank you,
    Chris

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Megas - if you are just doing local day rides, pretty much anything goes. Many folks use flat pedals and non-cycling winter boots and swear by them. Personally, I prefer to use clipless pedals and wear Lake boots which are 1 size up from normal and are the "wide" model. Other folks use Lake boots that are 2-4 sizes larger than normal and find that they work well - but I find that the extra-extra sizing has too much slop and throws the cleat placement way off. In terms of bars / post, carbon bars are nice as they seem to transmit less coldness, but as long as you wrap the metal ti and alloy bars are fine as well. I'm not a fan of carbon mtb seatposts but have not heard of any particular problems with them. One advantage of ti posts is that (unlike carbon or aluminum) they will give you a little flex and are bomber. But, all that said, there are many different workable setups out there - best to start cheap and work up.

mtbr member
    I use the lake boots one sizes up to fit any sock combo. they have solved all my winter feet problems. warm, waterproof and a good hiker for the steep stuff.

i run carbon bars, but we dont see the really cold numbers.
    2013 mongoose Fat bike
    2012 Moonlander.

http://undergroundvelo.proboards.com/

Fatback
    Carbon works fine in the winter. What can be a potential problem is carbon/alloy blends, though I have used them without any issues.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Check out the Pearl Izumi winter riding shoes based upon an XC ski boot. I love mine and think that they are better than the Lakes that my buddies all ride up here in MN.

http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.ph...315173&outlet=

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'd buy the biggest size Lakes possible. I have a 48, normally use a 45, and it's not big enough to get enough insulation into to keep my feet warm all winter. The BOA system keeps them snug with any amount of socks.

mtbr member
    Yeah, bigger size for any combination of thicker socks and for better circulation around your toes. Cramped and pinched toes are frozen toes. I haven't used carbon bars or seatposts on my mountain bikes, but I can assure you my carbon road bike gets ridden all winter (when the roads aren't wet with saltwater) as well as an all carbon frame hardtail "snow" bike for years with no issues.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    If you are going to go the Lake route, try to score a couple of extra Boa strings as they do break over time and who knows how long the technology is going to last.

Members who have read this thread: 0