Can't get cleats off of shoes- Mtbr.com

Jun 2004

Can't get cleats off of shoes

I installed cleats on my shoes five years ago and made the mistake of not greasing the threads of the cleat bolts. I want to replace the cleats now, but no matter what I do, I can't undo the bolts.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dinger
    I installed cleats on my shoes five years ago and made the mistake of not greasing the threads of the cleat bolts. I want to replace the cleats now, but no matter what I do, I can't undo the bolts.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
    You will have to use a dremel tool with a cutting wheel and cut slots in the cleat bolts. Make the slots just big enough for a big flat-heat screwdriver.

May 2005
    Even with grease, after 5 years they would be a bugger to get off. Good luck, I have been there myself a few times.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    take a drill with the same size bit as the threads , drill through the heads of the screws (not into the threads) after the heads are gone, remove the cleats and use visegrips to unscrew the bolt stubs

Space for rent...
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    take a drill with the same size bit as the threads , drill through the heads of the screws (not into the threads) after the heads are gone, remove the cleats and use visegrips to unscrew the bolt stubs
    I tried this method, but the vice grips still wouldn't move them (even after soaking overnight with penertrating oil). I ended up grinding flat any using the other bolt holes to mount the cleats.

Never made that mistake again. I remove my cleats 2 times/year and re-lube with waterproof grease.

Good luck....
    It's only pain......

Au'Right!
    Nov 2004
    Drill the center of the screws out with a power drill or dremel using a smaller bit then the threads (requires a little patience and a steady hand). Then use a screw extractor to take the screws out. Drilling the center out takes some of the pressure off the threads because the bolt loses it's integrity. Takes about 20 min. and is fairly easy.
    Problem: "Bike has trouble going up steep hills."
    Fix: Recommend pressing harder on the pedals.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    or, just buy new plates

Goathead Gladiator
    This guy has the right idea. screw extractors are $9 at home depot, are made for this, and will last a lifetime. Plus one of your friends is sure to have one. Regreasing the threads every 5 rides ( one week for me ) might help otherwise don't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by cdad_martinez
    Drill the center of the screws out with a power drill or dremel using a smaller bit then the threads (requires a little patience and a steady hand). Then use a screw extractor to take the screws out. Drilling the center out takes some of the pressure off the threads because the bolt loses it's integrity. Takes about 20 min. and is fairly easy.

mtbr member
    If you have already drilled the heads off the bolts just take the liner out of the shoe and pullout the plate and bolts out from the inside. Your local bike shop should be able to hook you up with these.
    Chris

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bwolmarans
    Regreasing the threads every 5 rides ( one week for me ) might help otherwise don't bother.

are you saying to physically remove both cleats on your shoes each week just to grease the bolts? jeez. i would go absolutely crazy if i did that. it would be better to just use the situation as an excuse to buy new shoes...

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekFan
    are you saying to physically remove both cleats on your shoes each week just to grease the bolts? jeez. i would go absolutely crazy if i did that. it would be better to just use the situation as an excuse to buy new shoes...
    unless youre wading through mud everyride don't bother. I grease mine when I install them and I replace them about once a year

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Ya my thoughts too. Drill them out and get new plates. You can get them at a LBS for a couple bucks. My old nikes were this way when I went to Times.

KIN
    Yes its retro but IT WORKS!

8 Speed is great and V-Brakes rock!

Ex-wrench...have a Question just ask!

Members who have read this thread: 0