Can I use hiking shoes for AM riding?- Mtbr.com
    icalebkim

Can I use hiking shoes for AM riding?

Or would sneakers be better?

Trail Ninja
    Versus typical sneakers or running shoes, I'd go with the hiking boots. The high tops provide more ankle support/protection which is typically vulnerable when you put your foot down on uneven terrain. The tread is more useful too and they'll hold up better.

FiveTen is a brand of shoes with super stick soles that grip pedals rather well and come in high tops too. They significantly enhance your platform pedal riding performance and recommend checking them out. They come in low cuts for skateboarding or whatever else as well.
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

icalebkim
    I don't plan to upgrade to clipless anytime soon, so platform pedals seem to be the choice.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    That lip and the high ankle support might be bothersome for pedaling.

Trail Ninja
    Yep. FiveTen makes awesome shoes for platform pedal riding. No one else makes a shoe with a rubber compound as sticky as theirs (that I know of).

They don't cost any more than what a typical performance shoe costs. $50-120.

http://fiveten.com/products/product-.../Freeride_m23/

Picture Unrelated
    Any flat soled skate style shoe would be better than any hiking or running shoe. Hiking and running shoes typically have agressive treads and a difference between the heel and forefoot height which both are negative traits when it comes to hooking into pedal tread.

5.10 shoes are fantastic, but if you can't justify shoes like that, any skate shoe will do a good job. I'm running a pair of DC shoes I found on sale and they work great.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Trail Ninja
    Some skate shoes tend to be flimsy and thin. Not the greatest support either. You may wind up with bruised ankles in a fall. Chatter tends to transfer straight to your feet as well.

You'd benefit from riding with shoes with a stiffer sole.

~Disc~Golf~
    yes - they are great for HAB
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Trail Ninja
    Well, since he claims to be riding AM, he's riding up and down actual mountains so there's bound to be some of that. He's riding a hardtail with a shitty fork with those platform pedals of his on top of that. He's totally hardcore bombing down gnarly descents in Mordor's mountain range, dodging/kicking spiders, gollums, and hobbits. Need some heavy duty footwear for that.

http://www.google.com/images?q=Mt.+Stuart

Those Aussie mountains look much gnarlier than the east coast mountains in the US.

Picture Unrelated
    Wow, super helpful. Good contribution.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by zebrahum
    Wow, super helpful. Good contribution.
    ಠ益ಠ

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Varaxis
    Well, since he claims to be riding AM, he's riding up and down actual mountains so there's bound to be some of that. He's riding a hardtail with a shitty fork with those platform pedals of his on top of that. He's totally hardcore bombing down gnarly descents in Mordor's mountain range, dodging/kicking spiders, gollums, and hobbits. Need some heavy duty footwear for that.

http://www.google.com/images?q=Mt.+Stuart

Those Aussie mountains look much gnarlier than the east coast mountains in the US.
    LMAO

Hiking shoes feature different feet support, and it's not good for biking, especially hi-top ones. Sneakers are just as bad with slippery soles. Get skate shoes, or 5.10

icalebkim
    That's funny. Naahhh... Aussie mountains don't look like that - they look like this!

Tha wrong Mt. Stuart, mate!

And I never claimed to ride am. I was just wanting to know whether those shoes would take it.
    I need heel support, and skate shoes are so floppy and rubbery at the bottom.
    And I thought those shoes might grab some platform pedal because they have hooks at the bottom, like up side down shark fins.
    _/---\
    | ---------\
    |__________D
    \| \| \| \| |/ |/| |/

B42
    mtbr member
    I ride in boots almost identical to those. The tread locks onto the pedals, and everytime I go down in rocks, etc I'm thankful for the ancle protection. I broke my ancle in the past which is why I went with boots in the first place.

icalebkim
    Woah - that's cool. OK, I'll take your advice. I like it.

~Disc~Golf~
    why even bother askin right?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

icalebkim
    Haha, just jokin'.

I wanted feedback from other people. Mean o' me, eh?

Enthusiast
    Sure, if you're on flat pedals, you can ride in any shoe that you like. However, the curved and lugged soles on your hiking shoes won't grip a set of pinned pedals (like the Kona Wah Wahs) nearly as good as will a flat-soled shoe.

Five-ten brand shoes are known for their good grip. I also have had excellent experience with La Sportiva Spotter approach shoes. Five-ten is not really the only brand out there to make good quality shoes with sticky rubber soles.

Ride what you have, right? But in the long term, if you move to a pinned pedal, you'll probably find yourself also moving towards a flat-soled shoe.

B42
    mtbr member
    Maybe you should read your own signature and not be a ****** in the forums where people are trying to give you information that you asked for.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    It's hit-or-miss with hiking shoes. It all depends on how the particular shoe tread hooks up with the particular pedal. Some can be absolutely horrible (consistently slipping off pedals, or unable to maintain a proper foot position on the pedals), others can work reasonably well (though not as good a a skate shoe).
    In the winter (after the snow hits), I switch from clipless to a waterproof light hiking boot and platform pedals. They get me by, but really can't compare to either clipless or skate shoes on platforms.
    Warning: may contain sarcasm and/or crap made up in an attempt to feel important.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I am an older rider (ok... I'm an *old* rider) and because my left knee will not bend enough to allow me to ride with my foot int he proper position on the pedal I can't use clipless - or even toe clips - pedals. I also can't climb as well as I used to (although I was never a great climber anyway) and so I push up hills when they get too steep. I have tried several types of shoes and found these at Big 5. They have enough tread to let me push up a dirt track but not so much that I can't keep my foot on the pedal. I also went to a larger size platform pedal and a longer crank arm.

Here's a photo of the shoes I'm using now. They seem to work well in all situations and grip the pedal pins well too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Can I use hiking shoes for AM riding?-sneaker1.jpg  

Can I use hiking shoes for AM riding?-sneaker2.jpg  

icalebkim
    Quote Originally Posted by B42
    Maybe you should read your own signature and not be a ****** in the forums where people are trying to give you information that you asked for.
    Maybe you should disconnect your keyboard and stop being such a bad tempered troll who thinks he knows what he is doing. Maybe you should kill your account and stop being a smart*** who goes around telling people they should listen to other people when you rant in a private thread. I'm disappointed with you. Die in holes.

Alright, I'll say I'm sorry.

B42
    mtbr member
    I must have missed the private thread icon... Whatever..

Let the good times roll.
    I tried hiking boots when I first switched to platforms about a year ago. It always felt like some of the pins were sitting between the lugs, but the pins that did touch rubber stuck very well (Vibram rubber soles). Overall, the boots worked well enough.

I switched to Five Tens shortly after, and the difference was night and day. Even grippier rubber, and all the pins connect all the time. I still use the hiking boots occasionally though in the winter since they are insulated and waterproof.

Members who have read this thread: 0