Can anyone recommend a good pair XC gloves?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Can anyone recommend a good pair XC gloves?

Can anyone recommend a good pair XC gloves around $20ish? And would you recommend half-finger or full finger gloves?

Thanks

May 2006
    louis garneau $14.99, just a simple mesh up top, and a slightly padded palm, suede, thats all you need and its comfortable, gives the grip, etc

they last over a year of abuse, im on my second pair now, multiple washes and they look the same.

mtbr member

SixSixOne (AXO) Raji

Used a pair of Raji's based on MTBR reviews. Full finger to provide some measure of protection in crashes.
    +'s - tactile grips on control fingers, thin for great feel and cool
    -'s - thin so wear fast, going on second season and the palms are worn pretty good.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Fox incline. 14.95 on sale at performance right now.

http://shop.foxracing.com/ecomm/Prod...=24047001F.jpg
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    I'll second the 661 Rajis. They're light so you can wear them in all but the coldest weather, but they still offer pretty good protection. The best thing about them though, are the little grips that are molded onto the finger pads. These things hold on like little octopus suction cups giving you fantastic control. You can relax that white-knuckle grip and maintain control with just a light finger tip touch. They were a little hard to find for a while, so you may have to look a little. I think 661 updated the design and brought them back out this year.

mtnjam
    just got some AXO Rides (I think the Rides are close to the Raji's?) to replace some Trek gloves I got for X-mas. The Trek gloves pretty much held up and were very comfortable, but the pull tabs on the gloves pretty much ripped off.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Just stay away from the moto style gloves for XC. I bought a pair of the 661 COMP gloves and although they feel great on your hand they are too padded for my likes. They bulk up in my hands and feel very loose after you ride for a while. I imagine the padding for them will be great for some DH riding but for XC I stick with something more form fitting.

A Real Winner.
    Truth be told, gloves are like saddles. Everyone likes something different.

-Do you want full finger or half finger?
    -Do you want a lot or a little padding?
    -Is ventilation important to you, or do you want protection?

I realize that you are looking for XC gloves, but some people still value protection in an XC glove. I myself ride with full finger gloves, but that's just what I am used to. If you are looking for a great glove with great ventilation, check ou the Louis Garneau Victory. They don't offer much padding, but give great grip with great ventilation. Go to your LBS and try on a bunch, or talk to someone that works there, and they can point you in the right direction for the gloves you are looking for.

Now, an online horror story. . .Once I bought 2 pairs of gloves from an online merchant. One pair in blue, the other in orange. They were both the same exact glove, just different colours. The blue ones fit perfect, I could not fit the orange ones on my hand for the life of me. I checked the tags, they were both mediums. The point is, that like most other clothes, 2 things of the same size can fit very different. Yeah, I know a million people have bought gloves online that fit great, but it just sucks when you are the 1 person that gets the pair that doesn't fit right. So. . .go to your LBS and try some stuff on, ask questions, that's why they are there.

If someone on this forum recommends 661's, that means that they are right for them, but not necessarily you. They're just freaking gloves.
    www.cycletofitness.com It's only a super-awesome website for a super-awesome store. Just click it. I dare you.

I endorse self propulsion
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    Fox incline. [/url]
    +1 can't be beat for the price.
    "Pops trippin', he want me to ask for my bike back. You know I wouldn't trip."

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for the advice.

I ordered the Fox Incline.

I use the Fox Static and they work perfectly for my needs.

http://shop.foxracing.com/ecomm/Prod...=24050001F.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    Fox incline. 14.95 on sale at performance right now.

http://shop.foxracing.com/ecomm/Prod...=24047001F.jpg
    poop! I was going to give them a try, but missed the sale.

Map Maker
    I like full fingered from Specialized.
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbchess
    I like full fingered from Specialized.
    Yeah, I like the Specialized Ridge.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Fox

Go with fox. I had a problem with another pair, I forgot the name. But i havent had a problem with fox gloves.

Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tha1000
    poop! I was going to give them a try, but missed the sale.
    Even not on sale they are phenomenal gloves. I wouldn't wear anythin else.

CG

mtbr member
    i had some full fingered gloves then the fingers got some holes in them, i liked the gloves so I just chopped the thumb index and middle finger tips off on both gloves. I think it looks cool.

I like this because it protects the outside(pinkyside) of my hand and I can also do dexterous things with my fingers. Like wipe my eye or use tools.

Jul 2006
    I use Answer Edge motocross gloves. They're a little warm, but nothing I really think about while I'm riding, I just notice how wet they are when I'm done. I like their protection, and I've been happy with them so far.

Red trail or blue trail?
    May 2005
    Go to your local PEP Boys and take a look at the Mechanix rack. They have a ton of different types that work great and cost $10. They are light enought that you still have sensation of the grips, but durable enough to take a beating.
    Remember to keep the rubber side down. It hurts a lot less that way.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MTB_Dad
    Even not on sale they are phenomenal gloves. I wouldn't wear anythin else.

CG

OK, bought a pair at the LBS today... I'm not sure I am going to like where the seam is in the end of the fingers... it seems to go up under my figer nail on the middle fingers...

rbtm member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Morfious
    Go to your local PEP Boys and take a look at the Mechanix rack. They have a ton of different types that work great and cost $10. They are light enought that you still have sensation of the grips, but durable enough to take a beating.
    I'll second that. I've been using the same pair of Mechanix gloves for years and I've been perfectly happy with them.
    "The mouth of justice contemplates wisdom."

Transplant
    Le Rajis

Members who have read this thread: 0