Camelbak's New LR Line of Packs - Who has tried them? No more backpack....- Mtbr.com
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008

Camelbak's New LR Line of Packs - Who has tried them? No more backpack....

I think its a common complain that wearing a backpack while riding kinda sucks. Going without definitely feels "freeing", but at the same time, the under-seat bags aren't enough and look stupid (my opinion).

Camelbak has a new LR (Low Rider) line of packs that look pretty interesting. I think they are both being released in the coming weeks - so I'm jumping the gun even posting this question - , but curious if anyone can share some experience with similar products.

They've been messing with the "lumbar" style of bladders for a while with ... I think its the Charge and Volt packs where the bladder wraps around your lower back.

Now they have the Skyline, which uses the same bladder, but drops the pack down quite a bits so it sits lower. But then they have a full-on "lumbar pack" called the Palos that I'm actually most interested in. I don't care if the whole fanny-pack thing is thrown around and made fun of.

In moto, you wear one and no one gives a s*** when riding / racing off-road. Everyone does and again, no one cares.

I am curious to carry that over to the mtb and try this Palos, or maybe the Skyline. The Skyline is still a backpack-type of pack though, but again the pack-itself sits a lot lower and it looks like it leaves about 40-50% of your back exposed (maybe less, I'm just guessing based on photos).

At $75 and $130 its somewhat of a pricey experiment to just try it, but again, I keep thinking how nice the Palos could be in the heat of summer, especially when bombing down technical trails without the constriction of a backpack.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by KGAmoto; 01-01-2016 at 07:42 AM.
    --------------------------
    mtxbraking.com
    Braking components for the MTB industry.

mtbr member
    I used to use a fanny pack enduro and XC moto riding. On the mtb, I prefer a smallish hydration pack that sits high up on the back, like the Camelbak Rogue. It just feels better to me than something hanging low or around my waist. It's also easier to suck the water the higher it is.

mtbr member
    The last thing I want is something at my lower back when I land on it.

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    The last thing I want is something at my lower back when I land on it.
    I understand the principle "dress for the crash" but I'm not worried about landing on it, at all.

Staying on topic, Source has a nice-looking lumbar style pack coming out soon too.
    --------------------------
    mtxbraking.com
    Braking components for the MTB industry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    I understand the principle "dress for the crash" but I'm not worried about landing on it, at all.

Staying on topic, Source has a nice-looking lumbar style pack coming out soon too.
    If you ride a lot, it's not if, it's when and how hard.

Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Cycle Shawn View Post
    If you ride a lot, it's not if, it's when and how hard.
    1200-1500 miles a year, 200k+ climbing annually. Never landed on my back once, yet. Like I said, I'm not worried about it - I just don't like backpacks and want to try something in a different direction.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KGAmoto View Post
    1200-1500 miles a year, 200k+ climbing annually. Never landed on my back once, yet. Like I said, I'm not worried about it - I just don't like backpacks and want to try something in a different direction.
    Well, now it will happen, because you're not worried about it. You've been hexed!

mtbr member
    One possibly minor consideration is that the lower the reservoir the harder you have to suck. It's not necessarily a huge thing, but it certainly is noticeable. There's a brand, GIEGERRIG, where you can pressurize the reservoir so that you don't have to suck at all.