Camelbak Palos Bum Bag- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Camelbak Palos Bum Bag

I just picked up one of these and am going to test it out tonight. I can ride with a bottle and seat bag but this time of year I need to carry a jacket and maybe dry gloves as well. Hardtail tonight on chunky trails will see how stable it is. Bum bag aficionados stay tuned.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    I tried it out on a short ride last night. First, it is well laid out with side pouches, tool compartment and room for a tube and light jacket in the main bag. The bladder holds 1.5l but that felt pretty heavy and bouncy in the garage so I took out a bit. I carried about 1.25l, tool, pump, battery, and a jacket. I cinched it up tight against my shorts, over my hip bones and it felt odd at first. After a while I was ok with it and it was fine except when pedaling seated over large roots and rocks. Then it would bounce a bit, but never enough to shift it's position. The more water I drank the better it rode, and I think it's well suited to our riding here which is generally a lot of climbing, often on logging roads, followed by lots of single track descending. I'm going to use it for a while before posting a proper review.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."

mtbr member
    I was looking at these also. But for carrying extra clothes on cold night rides. My back pack makes my back sweaty and I get cold. Don't want to do a frame bag because I don't want to have to transfer it from bike to bike.

I usually carry an extra pair of socks, extra gloves, winter hat and then like to have a place to stash a heavy riding jersey and wind breaker, plus a shock pump. You think there is enough room for this without the bladder?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducman View Post
    I was looking at these also. But for carrying extra clothes on cold night rides. My back pack makes my back sweaty and I get cold. Don't want to do a frame bag because I don't want to have to transfer it from bike to bike.

I usually carry an extra pair of socks, extra gloves, winter hat and then like to have a place to stash a heavy riding jersey and wind breaker, plus a shock pump. You think there is enough room for this without the bladder?
    I tried with my XL Fox windbreaker
    Merino top
    Insulated gloves
    Fleece toque
    Merino socks
    Tube
    Multi tool
    Small Crank Bros pump
    Shock pump

It's a tight fit, but it fits. The side pouches are sill empty and can hold energy bars and a phone. With a thinner windbreaker it would be easy. I don't normally bother with a shock pump.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Camelbak Palos Bum Bag-image.jpeg  

Camelbak Palos Bum Bag-image.jpeg  

Camelbak Palos Bum Bag-image.jpeg  

Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Sweet, I think I'll order one, thanks for checking to see what will fit

mtbr member
    is the hose long enough?
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

mtbr member
    Yes, the hose goes across the front and attaches to the left side. Enough hose for the to drink from, but it requires you to clip it back on, which I don't think is that easy if your moving. I may get a clip to stick it on my shirt.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    I picked up a cheap pack on amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/Gemgo-Mountain.../dp/B00R9ORHB0

I wasn't planning of using it for water, but i have run bottle of water on the outside pockets when I forgot my water bottle. So far it has been working great, especially when the weather changes and I need to add or remove layers. I put a thin jacket, thin glove a hat, socks, hand warmers, phone, car keys, tools and some food. So far I don't notice it bouncing around, but it doesn't have nearly the weight without water.

I don't like camelbak style packs, don't like the weight on my back or my back getting soaked with sweat, especially when its cold out. This allows me to carry everything I need for a 2 hr ride. If I am going to be out for a longer ride, then I'll wear the Opsrey raptor 14

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MostChillin View Post
    Any updates on your experience with the Palos, Travis?

I came across a guy during a break in the woods last week that had the Palos and he wasn't very impressed. In fairness, he said it was only his third time using it but hadn't gotten used to how much it bounces around when loaded. He said he wished he had gotten the Source pack with the straps... At that point, I'll use a lightweight pack which is what I use now - an Osprey Syncros 3.

I believe you experienced something similar when loaded and it's my concern with these type of bags. Any updates are appreciated.
    I'm away for a while and left the Palos at home, so I'll update in a couple months.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Got a new Palos and took my first ride today. Carried a tool, mini pump, spare 29er tube, phone, and will bladder. Did pretty well I thought! I didn't notice it during intense downhill sections. On "normal" trail sections it did have some bounce, but it wasn't awful. I'm looking forward to trying it on some rougher local trails and when it is a bit hotter out.

mtbr member
    Took some google-ing to realize that "Bum" was not part of the actual Cambak product name. A friend calls this a "pack de derrière".
    The best defense against bullsh*t is vigilance. If you smell something, say something.
    Jon Stewart

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    hi all,
    this "new" style of pack hit my eyes but there is one thing that i don't understand.

some one cane update with more long-term opinion?
    what is preventing the pack to bounce or move around when you turn with the bike?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Any update to this. Most say this bounces too much which is a deal breaker but I like the idea of waist pack with a 1.5L bladder.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I've been using mine in Austin (rocky, very bumpy) and have taken it to Park City for big mountain style trails too. I still love using it. You'll have some bounce in certain conditions depending on how the bag is packed and you might have to re-tighten on occasion. However, your back stays cool, any bounce isn't really that noticeable, and its really nice to travel with because it is so much smaller than a normal pack. I would buy it again for sure.

Rocks belong
    As recommended in this thread (http://forums.mtbr.com/nutrition-hyd...s-1029179.html), 1.5" tri-glides make the Camelbak Palos strap rock solid.

My local outdoor/farm/ranch store has a military surplus corner... They sell 1.5" tri-glides for $0.69/ea. Apparently some Ace Hardware stores have them for about $1/ea.

Took 2 minutes to install on either side of the buckle. Piece of cake. Rock solid strap now.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful