• 02-04-2009
    BuffaloSprocket
    Buy a training plan or comfy shoes?
    Just signed up for a 12 hour solo that is 13 weeks away. I have a decent base from training on my own through January however I have been thinking about purcahsing a plan form Lynda.

I've been riding the same shoes for a few years now and have some issues on the road bike (run SPDs there too, same shoes) and think I could benefit from better arch support. I've been fit professionally on the road bike. I've always been told don't skimp on points of contact with the bike. On the mountain bike I have been up to some 4 and 5 hour rides with no issues (just road).

Assuming I have one choice and that's a training plan and a heart rate monitor, or a new set of Shimano thermo-mold shoes (or similar comfy shoe). Where will I feel the biggest difference?

I know this is kind of a stupid question, But I can get by on my shoes and I know I can probably finish the race by training on my own. I lean towards training plan, but I'd hate to drop from the race because of knee pain, or any other pedal/shoe complications..

Please let me know if you had to make any other decisions like this? This 12 hour is a precursor to the SM100 in September.
  • 02-05-2009
    esilvassy
    Another option if your shoes are still on pretty good shape and it is just arch support would be
    new insoles. There are many types out there REI sells quite a few versions of the superfeet brand. Also if your feet could benefit from some cant under the footbed, Specialized stores should sell theirs as well. Other outdoor type stores or running shops should have a selection as well.
    it is still up to you in the long run though.
  • 02-05-2009
    chainringrrl
    A combo of the two-
    less expensive shoe and training plan. If you can't get both today, get started on the training plan and save to make new shoes a priority. You know you need both or you wouldn't of bothered making the post :thumbsup:
  • 03-09-2009
    Fastskiguy
    Gotta go shoes, right? The fitness info is out there for free anyway, just a matter of reading. And going really hard in training. Except on the easy days, then you have to ride slower than a 100 year old woman. Shoes. Right?
  • 03-09-2009
    BuffaloSprocket
    I listened to Chainring, and went with the plan, will get the shoes soon though. I'm really not having as many issues as I thought I was, so it wasn't urgent but will be nice for longer and longer days in the saddle.
  • 03-09-2009
    Cyclingdirt
    If you're finishing int he top 1/4 of your races.. go with the shoes. bottom 3/4... training plan.
  • 03-10-2009
    jmcgrew
    So where is this fitness plan you are talking about. What is the website?
  • 03-10-2009
    JMK331
  • 03-10-2009
    dmccune
    I'm a huge fan of Lynda W's training plans, but I got to go with shoes. Contact point comfort is key. If your feet can't handle 12 hours no training plan is going to help. If it were me though I'd spend $99 on one of Lynda's and another $100 on a solid set of shoes.
  • 03-10-2009
    Garlock
    Get good shoes, a low end HRM, and make your own training plan out of info found on the internet.
  • 03-10-2009
    BuffaloSprocket
    Yeah I got one from Lynda W. I'm satisfied. I knew the basic concept for the training but the variety of workouts and planning over 12 weeks is really sweet. I've been trying to stick to the plan as much as possible, but I've had some work commitments get in the way on a couple key days. I keep picking back up when I can though. This will be a key month as the race is in May.
  • 03-10-2009
    SenorSlacker
    Get inserts for your present shoes. Most shoes do not contain arch support inserts, so if the shoes are in decent condition, get a pair of inserts. It will make a world of difference. Plus do you really want to spend time breaking in a new pair of shoes?