busted helmet trade-ins?- Mtbr.com

May 2005

busted helmet trade-ins?

Hey all,
    We had a friend go down today wearing my brand new loaner helmet. It didn't make it 15 minutes into the ride before taking a nasty blow on a rock. Hallelujia the thing did it's job. The friend is Ok but a little beat up..poor girl. Anyhow, someone mentioned there is some kinda helmet trade in policy when such things happen? Anyone ever heard of such a thing? I haven't but it sounds great. I suppose I should just call Giro, eh?

thanks. Beat

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Giro looks like they may give you credit towards a new one.

http://www.giro.com/main.html

Check out other helmet manufactours before you buy a new one. Trek will simply replace the helmet free within the first year. Keep the receipt.

HJB

Apr 2004
    Sometimes you can find them on sale for less than the crash replacement price.

May 2005
    sweet,
    thanks guys. It looks like they do. I'll give a call on monday. It was only 20 bucks marked down from 60 from last year but it was brand new to me! I'll post their reply after I talk to them just to have it posted here for everyones future reference.

Later, Beat

A Real Winner.
    That's why you should get a Louis Garneau helmet. They have a 1 year no questions asked crash replacement warranty. If you crash in the first year of ownership with your Louis Garneu helmet, they will give you a new one for free!
    www.cycletofitness.com It's only a super-awesome website for a super-awesome store. Just click it. I dare you.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    people
    theres no such thing as free, if the manufacturers are replacing the helmet, its built into the original cost. so , next time someone complains about the high cost of helmets you know why. I'm more of the school of thought that if I break something I pay, if somethings defective , they pay

A Real Winner.
    Actually, I beg to differ. I feel Louis Garneau is confident in their product, and they are willing to stand behind it by backing it up with a FREE 1 year crash replacement warranty. I feel that their helmets are engineered better than anything else, they are a great company to work with, and when it comes down to price, they are just as competitve as the next guy. They make $30 helmets and they make $90 helmets and up. Their $30 helmet is a nice helmet, but the $90 Europa is sweet! If you shop from manufacture to manufacture, you will find that helmets are all very competitively priced, and you get more "stuff" as you step up in price. You are not paying for safety though (Strictly speaking about XC helmets here). I would be willing to bet that the $30 Pacifica from Louis Garneu will protect you just as well as the $90 Europa. But. . .with the Europa, you are getting a better locking mechanism (To keep it on your head better), better ventilation, washable padding (How nice is that?), and more sizing options (better fit). They both meet the same crash standards, they both have molded shells, they both use Garneu's "Ringlock" for safety, and they both have the same crash replacement warranty, 1 year, no questions asked.

So. . .No, you aren't paying for the extra warranty, they want you to ride, and they want you to be confident.
    www.cycletofitness.com It's only a super-awesome website for a super-awesome store. Just click it. I dare you.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sonyisdope
    Actually, I beg to differ. I feel Louis Garneau is confident in their product, and they are willing to stand behind it by backing it up with a FREE 1 year crash replacement warranty. I feel that their helmets are engineered better than anything else, they are a great company to work with, and when it comes down to price, they are just as competitve as the next guy. They make $30 helmets and they make $90 helmets and up. Their $30 helmet is a nice helmet, but the $90 Europa is sweet! If you shop from manufacture to manufacture, you will find that helmets are all very competitively priced, and you get more "stuff" as you step up in price. You are not paying for safety though (Strictly speaking about XC helmets here). I would be willing to bet that the $30 Pacifica from Louis Garneu will protect you just as well as the $90 Europa. But. . .with the Europa, you are getting a better locking mechanism (To keep it on your head better), better ventilation, washable padding (How nice is that?), and more sizing options (better fit). They both meet the same crash standards, they both have molded shells, they both use Garneu's "Ringlock" for safety, and they both have the same crash replacement warranty, 1 year, no questions asked.

So. . .No, you aren't paying for the extra warranty, they want you to ride, and they want you to be confident.
    dont be naive, so they stand behind their product, any reputable company will stand behind their stuff ..or get sued for defective merchandise. so according to you if I run over my helmet, they will replace it for free? get real, the replacement costs are built in to the price. and if too many people take advantage of the warranty, they will change it. notice how some bike manufacturers have now changed their "lifetime" warranty to 5 years or less.
    and whats to stop people from "breaking their helmet once a year to get a new one
    BTW
    that sweet $90 helmet will be on sale next year for half, mostly the higher price is for styling and color options. look at what is in a helmet, the foam is the protection, that thin plastic shell doesnt do much except keep it from falling apart, a couple of pads & velcro and some nylon strapping. They all have the same ingredients, some of the more expensive ones have a little carbon fiber for extra strenght because there are so many vents that there isnt enough plastic & foam to hold it together. your $90 helmet prob. costs about $10 to make and wholesales for $45

"So. . .No, you aren't paying for the extra warranty, they want you to ride, and they want you to be confident.[/QUOTE]"

sure and they are only in business to help you

A Real Winner.
    Damn dude! Why can't you believe that a company is business to help you? Any companys #1 goal is going to be to make money, but beyond that, they want the customer to be satisfied. If you don't think the more expensive helmets are worth it, then don't buy them. I'm just saying that if you look at a $50 Giro helmet, or a $50 Garneau helmet, they are very comparable helmets. Beyond that, Garneau gives you a 1 year crash replacement policy, which Giro does not. They give you like a 30% credit or something, not a full free replacement. You are not paying anything extra for that free crash replacment policy, you are essentially getting it for free with Garneau.

Also, as you get a more expensive helmet, you are getting better ventilation, nicer padding, better fit, etc. If you are comfortable with a $30 helmet, it fits you well, and you think it vents well enough, then by all means, don't spend more money. But if you want the good stuff, you gotta pay for it. It's just like anything else. You can get a Trek 820 for $260, or a Dekerf frame for $1300. They are both steel, right? Well, the Trek is probably a better value because it costs less, and you get a complete bike, not just a frame, right? Well, the Dekerf you are paying for more features, such as lightweight, beautiful craftsmanship, better ride quality, etc. You pay for the features, just like anything else. Only in this case, you are paying more than 4 times as much, while with the helmets, you are paying about 3 times as much. The point is, with anything, you are not just wasting your money, you are paying for something.

With helmets, you are paying for more features, but from company to company the helmets at each price point are very comparable. Because they are so close, I would take my money and spend it on the helmet with the FREE 1 year crash replacement warranty.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dan0
    that thin plastic shell doesnt do much except keep it from falling apart
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this, but the plastic definitely has a purpose. The plastic isn't there to hold the foam in place, it's there so your head slides on the pavement when you crash. If you didn't have the plastic, you would just crash and the foam wouldn't slide too well. If you look at the most expesive helmets, they'll all have plastic covering all the foam that could hit the pavement. The less expensive helmet will leave exposed foam in the back. It's definitely a safety feature.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sonyisdope
    Damn dude! Why can't you believe that a company is business to help you? Any companys #1 goal is going to be to make money, but beyond that, they want the customer to be satisfied. If you don't think the more expensive helmets are worth it, then don't buy them. I'm just saying that if you look at a $50 Giro helmet, or a $50 Garneau helmet, they are very comparable helmets. Beyond that, Garneau gives you a 1 year crash replacement policy, which Giro does not. They give you like a 30% credit or something, not a full free replacement. You are not paying anything extra for that free crash replacment policy, you are essentially getting it for free with Garneau.

Also, as you get a more expensive helmet, you are getting better ventilation, nicer padding, better fit, etc. If you are comfortable with a $30 helmet, it fits you well, and you think it vents well enough, then by all means, don't spend more money. But if you want the good stuff, you gotta pay for it. It's just like anything else. You can get a Trek 820 for $260, or a Dekerf frame for $1300. They are both steel, right? Well, the Trek is probably a better value because it costs less, and you get a complete bike, not just a frame, right? Well, the Dekerf you are paying for more features, such as lightweight, beautiful craftsmanship, better ride quality, etc. You pay for the features, just like anything else. Only in this case, you are paying more than 4 times as much, while with the helmets, you are paying about 3 times as much. The point is, with anything, you are not just wasting your money, you are paying for something.

With helmets, you are paying for more features, but from company to company the helmets at each price point are very comparable. Because they are so close, I would take my money and spend it on the helmet with the FREE 1 year crash replacement warranty.
    I dont have a problem with buying a more expensive helmet or a more expensive anything (my current helmet cost $175) my point is your free helmets cost is included in the purchase price. They are not giving you anything, they figure how many returns they get in a year and add the cost into the price of the helmets, keep in mind their cost is alot smaller than the retail price. so if they sell 10000 $100 helmets and 100 are returned thats 1%, if their cost to manufacture is $10, they only need to add $1 to cover it.

But...
    I have some fancy new $1 bills, not out yet, really sweet, multi colored, etc. I'm selling them for a limited time for $5 each, AND if you lose, destroy or even spend it, I'll give you a replacement FREE. Thats how much I care about my customers

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Digitaljs
    I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this, but the plastic definitely has a purpose. The plastic isn't there to hold the foam in place, it's there so your head slides on the pavement when you crash. If you didn't have the plastic, you would just crash and the foam wouldn't slide too well. If you look at the most expesive helmets, they'll all have plastic covering all the foam that could hit the pavement. The less expensive helmet will leave exposed foam in the back. It's definitely a safety feature.
    If you ride your mtn bike on pavement (which most people dont) and crash and somehow dont impact but just slide along the road, that 1/16" of plastic will scrape through in no time, exposing the foam. While the plastic will slide easier than foam, if you are moving fast enough to slide on pavement the foam will slide too.
    the plastic on helmets is to keep the foam together and to help deflect some of the sharp impact. The foam is what absorbs most of the impact. ( how long do you think the helmet would last without the plastic to protect the foam? without crashing)
    also, the helmets have the same safety rating wheather the back has plastic or not, as far as the back plastic, the more expensive helmets have VENTS in the back, (holes) that need more support. I'm sure someone somwhere may have crashed his Mtn Bike on a paved road going real fast, but I doubt they ended up sliding on the lower part of the back of their head. and unless they only slid on their head (no body parts touching) the friction from their skin would stop the slide alot faster than the exposed foam
    Last edited by dan0; 07-24-2006 at 08:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    If you ride your mtn bike on pavement (which most people dont)
    Most people I know actually do ride their mountain bike on pavement. Plenty of people use their bike to ride to the trail, to the store, to wherever. Actually, I know very few people who only use their mountain bike on trails. Get real. You can crash on the paved path on your way to the trail head. It's not only during aggressive riding that you crash.

and crash and somehow dont impact but just slide along the road, that 1/16" of plastic will scrape through in no time, exposing the foam. While the plastic will slide easier than foam, if you are moving fast enough to slide on pavement the foam will slide too.
    So you are implying that the plastic doesn't serve a purpose to help slide your head when you crash? Ever see someone after a crash covered with road rash? It's beacause they slid. Ever look at the helmet? The helmet is covered in scrape marks from sliding on the pavement. Without the plastic, the foam would stick, tear apart, and jerk your neck, possibly causing a severe injury. While I agree that the plastic does hold the foam, it also helps with slide. If not, why not just put something else on the outside, like rubber? It's pretty durable, strong, etc

Here is some reading:

http://www.bhsi.org/guide.htm

http://www.bhsi.org/helmet06.htm (Check out the garneau section. They point out the exposed foam as a downside to one of the helmets)

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Digitaljs
    Most people I know actually do ride their mountain bike on pavement. Plenty of people use their bike to ride to the trail, to the store, to wherever. Actually, I know very few people who only use their mountain bike on trails. Get real. You can crash on the paved path on your way to the trail head. It's not only during aggressive riding that you crash.

isnt this forum MTB? not road biking, no I havent seen anyone get road rash on the trail

anyway
    my original point which got hijacked was you dont get any helmet for free, its cost is included in the price

So you are implying that the plastic doesn't serve a purpose to help slide your head when you crash? Ever see someone after a crash covered with road rash? It's beacause they slid. Ever look at the helmet? The helmet is covered in scrape marks from sliding on the pavement. Without the plastic, the foam would stick, tear apart, and jerk your neck, possibly causing a severe injury. While I agree that the plastic does hold the foam, it also helps with slide. If not, why not just put something else on the outside, like rubber? It's pretty durable, strong, etc

because a thin layer of plastic is CHEAP

Here is some reading:

http://www.bhsi.org/guide.htm

http://www.bhsi.org/helmet06.htm (Check out the garneau section. They point out the exposed foam as a downside to one of the helmets)
    again the moral here is dont ride on pavement, this IS a mtb site not a road site, since you dont know anyone who rides only trails your argument doesnt pertain to trail riding does it? have you ever seen anyone with road rash from trail riding, or going so fast as to slide enough to get road rash on a trail? and I'm not talking dh or stunt riding either as they wear full face helmets (with alot thicker shell)
    and how did I get sucked into this argument, I was talking about the cost of free helmets

May 2005
    OK guys,
    The moral of the story is: Choose your helmet wisely. Now on to what the point of the thread was. I finally recieved a FREE replacement from Performance bike. I say finally because I sent it on the slow boat to NC and they sent the new one back on the slow boat but as always they processed the paper work and sent it out right away. I gotta say I'm impressed with them. Never had a problem with those guys and I totally didn't expect them to hook me up but they did. I suppose it would have been different if many months had passed from recieving it to crash time but who knows. Anyway, I'm stoked. Oh yeah, Giro was willing to give a new one at a discount.. it was like 25% but I like free better!

later, Beat

Members who have read this thread: 0