Brake shoes don't fit- Mtbr.com

Feb 2009

Brake shoes don't fit

Hello! I've been an avid reader of the mtbr reviews and I've recently come across a problem I'm having so I thought I'd ask here and most certainly get some knowledgeable responses.

I have a K2 proflex 5000. Bought it about 6 months ago. It has the stock XT brake setup. The front pads weren't in the best shape and seemed to be eating up my rims. I noticed some pieces of metal in the pads so I tried to scrape them off. Well in doing that part of the pad just crumbled away. I decided to go with something better and ordered some kool stop tectonic shoes.

I read somewhere about people using these on the XT brakes so I didn't think twice about it. Well upon receiving them they seemed a bit large and when I put them on they were at least 1/2" too big. No matter what I did for adjustments I couldn't latch the front brakes. The gap between the shoes was about 3/4" and my rim width is 1".

I was wondering how the heck can you tell if certain brake pads are going to fit or not. I couldn't find a replacement guide anywhere. I guess maybe my fork is just too narrow? It's about 2.5" wide at the brake attachment on the fork. I'd rather replace the XT brakes up front than put new XT pads on there. Is there another brake system I can put up there and use these kool stop pads or is it just hopeless.

Sorry if I was long winded.

Dirt Deviant
    It sounds to me like you need to let out some slack in the cable. That will spread the pads further apart.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

Meh.
    In addition to letting the slack out of the cable, are the spacers on the pad post oriented in the correct direction? Is the pad hitting the rim square? Can you take a couple pictures?

Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by XSL_WiLL
    In addition to letting the slack out of the cable, are the spacers on the pad post oriented in the correct direction? Is the pad hitting the rim square? Can you take a couple pictures?
    I tried letting the slack out. Even with complete slack there still is just not enough room. There is only one spacer between the shoe and the brakes and that is the toe adjuster. I don't think I can do without that.

I'll try to take some photos tomorrow.

mtbr member
    not to be an arse, but on a disc brake, we call it pads. shoes are on drums

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vk45de
    not to be an arse, but on a disc brake, we call it pads. shoes are on drums
    might want to do a bit of research before making statements
    http://www.google.com/search?q=rim+b...rlz=1I7GGLG_en

mtbr member
    oh rim brakes! forget about those. sry

Feb 2009
    Ok I have some pictures. I also tried something a little bit different which KIND OF works but not anything I'd want to ride with. Upon first glance it looks ok though.

First a comparison between the two shoes
    XT vs Tectonic

The tectonics use the bottom washer to adjust toe-in. I took ALL the washers off and set it flush to the brake mount. The result was an extremely difficult to adjust brake shoe that BARELY fit with my rim.
    Brake shoes installed

It looks kind of OK but it's not.
    Check out the slack.
    Too much slack
    If you look on the right the spring isn't even touching the brake... part (?). It makes for unreliable and VERY VERY mushy brakes.

The brakes drag a lot installed like it is.
    Brake gap
    Won't work. With the washers on and slacked to a usable point the gap is not quite 3/4". With a flat toe I could probably do a little over 3/4" but my rim width is 1" so... no way in heck will that work.

Dirt Deviant
    Have you tried switching around the thinner washers from the old pads? In the pics the XT washers look thinner.
    If that is a no go, then you may be hosed. Might need to get different pads. That would be a bummer. Hopefully you can make some thinner washers work out.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    Have you tried switching around the thinner washers from the old pads? In the pics the XT washers look thinner.
    If that is a no go, then you may be hosed. Might need to get different pads. That would be a bummer. Hopefully you can make some thinner washers work out.

Well considering how I had pretty much 0 room with no washers I don't think it would work. I tried fitting the inserts from the koolstops into the XT shoes and they were about a mm too big. Maybe I could shave the edge of it off?

Meh.
    Can you increase the spring tension with the little screw? Or put the spring post in the next hole next to the boss to increase the tension?

Old man on a bike
    Why did you need to replace the whole cartridge assembly? You had replaceable pads on your original cartridge. Looks like the cartridge housing is of a different profile...

Lot of people like these http://www.treefortbikes.com/424_333...s,-Salmon.html
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    Why did you need to replace the whole cartridge assembly? You had replaceable pads on your original cartridge. Looks like the cartridge housing is of a different profile...

Lot of people like these http://www.treefortbikes.com/424_333...s,-Salmon.html
    Well partly because I'm a newb.... but mostly because I didn't think there would be any problem and heard of some people saying they used them on XT brakes. Oh well.

Spring tension is maxed. I'm going to try to put the tectonic pads into the XT cartridge. If that fails well... there goes $17. Thanks for the link to the salmon pads.

Old man on a bike
    I'm just surprised no one else said anything, had to look twice at your photo to make sure I wasn't missing anything...and next upload your photos here and they'll last longer...
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikinfoolferlife
    I'm just surprised no one else said anything, had to look twice at your photo to make sure I wasn't missing anything...and next upload your photos here and they'll last longer...
    If I can get the pads into the xt cartridges I'll upload pictures of that.

Feb 2009
    As a follow up I am selling the brakes to my friend who just got a Klein Adept. Hopefully they will fit on his. I bought some of those KS V-brake salmon inserts. (thanks again for the tip on those)

Members who have read this thread: 0