Bought 2 full-face helmets, so very different. Have a couple questions.- Mtbr.com
    Cheapo

Bought 2 full-face helmets, so very different. Have a couple questions.

The blue is a Fly Three.4 (Three.4 White/Blue Helmet | FLY Racing | Professional grade Motocross, BMX, MTB, Offroad, ATV, Snowmobile, and Watercraft apparel and hard parts) size Medium for my wife. The red/blue is a Troy Lee Designs D2 (https://www.troyleedesigns.com/products/0334-04) in size M/L.

The first thing I noticed was how much larger the Fly was over the TLD, much bulkier. Padded much differently as well. Does the Fly use the same outer shell for all helmet sizes, and just change the padding to match? If that's the case, I'm nervous for the helmet I got my 5-year old daughter (hasn't arrived yet). Her head size is Adult XS, but if it's the same shell as an adult XL, well, that's horrible.

Second thing is how much more open/exposed the TLD is compared to the Fly. Almost feels like I would not have much chin protection, but maybe that is how it's supposed to be. I have to tilt the helmet down what feels like quite a bit to get my chin behind the front of the helmet, but, maybe that's where the helmet is supposed to sit.

I've included a few pictures.

Uphill? What's that
    The fly helmet is a MX helmet and the TLD is a D.H. helmet so they will be very different in size and protection. Th Fly shell should come in different overall sizes..Sometime companies will use the same size shell for 2 sizes and have Different size padding for those 2 sizes but The xl shell should be a lot larger than the shell of a XS helmet..You could call Fly racing just to be sure.

Cheapo
    Oh man, I did not realize that. I was just trying to get a smaller lighter weight nice BMX helmet. So I guess I should return the Troy Lee and look for something else then huh?

How and why do they differ?

It was listed under BMX race, so I didn't know any better.

Uphill? What's that
    Actually if you are just looking for a lite weight bmx helmet then you would be better of with the TLD. The protection in the TLD is rated for that type of riding. MX helmets have a firmer inner shell that's made for impacts at much higher speeds..Some people say that you are better off with the downhill /bmx helmets just for that reason.The TLD helmets inner shell should protect you better at the speeds you will be riding your bike .

Cheapo
    Yeah I was just looking for BMX helmets for us. I see now that the Three.4 is SNELL/DOT rated, which is more than it really needs to be, or even should be rated for at the lower speeds of bicycles/BMX.

So the TLD is OK for what I need it for then. Just wanted to make sure.

Uphill? What's that
    Yeah..The TLD should be fine..