Booties inside shoes?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Booties inside shoes?

Anyone try wearing booties like these Performance Booties inside their shoes to protect from cold/wet environments? Now that it's getting chilly, my feet are really cold and wet from a few water crossings on my rides. There are some areas that I think would be tough to climb with these on the outside of my shoes, hence the thought of wearing them inside. Anyone with experience? Thanks

Old man on a bike
    They'd be awful uncomfortable wearing them inside your shoes with those rubber soles, especially that cleat cut-out....booties are for the outside of your shoes.

I have used neoprene socks with thin wool socks fairly successfully with my vented summer shoes, but dedicated winter shoes would probably work better. I'd rather use a bootie on my road bike, but find the soles of the booties aren't so good when you need to hike a bike.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

No. Just No.
    You would need to wear HUGE shoes many sizes larger than your normal size to have any hope of fitting neoprene booties inside. Even neoprene socks designed for wearing on the inside can require a larger size for fit. Otherwise, circulation is reduced which will have your feet freezing anyhow. If you are serious about keeping your feet warm, you should look at any of;

1. Ride flat pedals, wear boots
    2. Get purpose-designed insulated winter riding shoes for clipless
    3. Chemical warming packs, although these are awkward to fit, can get too hot sometimes, or other times don't get enough access to air to make them work properly.

For a cheap solution, try plastic bread bags over your socks but inside your shoes, although they will tend to leave your feet moist and clammy, which can be a problem in itself.

not actually bad :)
    Goretex socks
    Old Codger

Ride Instigator
    Kinda' like wearing rain gear under your riding clothes .

I can't imagine this being very comfortable or working very well, booties are made to go over your shoes. I've heard of people wearing plastic grocery bags over their socks inside their shoes to protect against wet riding situations, never tried it though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I know it sounds crazy, but those booties have "solid" sole that you cut to fit your shoes, so they will protect if they fit in the shoes. My shoes are slightly large so the booties may fit??? If the booties fit snugly and worked inside the shoes, then the conditions really wouldn't have an impact on your feet... my thinking. Guess I'll try it at a shop and see if it works.

Thanks for the replies.

not actually bad :)
    Goretex socks I'm telling you!
    They're expensive, but they're what you're looking for.
    Old Codger

I Ride Alone
    Try Sealskinz socks.
    The Lone Rider.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbpinnacle
    I know it sounds crazy, but those booties have "solid" sole that you cut to fit your shoes, so they will protect if they fit in the shoes. My shoes are slightly large so the booties may fit??? If the booties fit snugly and worked inside the shoes, then the conditions really wouldn't have an impact on your feet... my thinking. Guess I'll try it at a shop and see if it works.

Thanks for the replies.
    Terrible idea, go for it.

When you find out it doesn't work, try a warm sock with a plastic grocery bag over it. It's not ideal, but it is cheap and very effective for a few hours in nasty conditions. Otherwise get the socks that the other posters suggest.

too cold to ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricko
    ...I've heard of people wearing plastic grocery bags over their socks inside their shoes to protect against wet riding situations, never tried it though.
    As a kid, I used to wear grocery bags over socks under cleats (secured to the ankle/shin area with a rubberband) when I played football in snowy, wet, and/or cold conditions. I don't remember them ever not working. Bread bags work too, although if not cleaned of crumbs, you may be tackled by a flock of birds...
    Now go home and get your ******* shinebox.

Old man on a bike
    Quote Originally Posted by sbpinnacle

Thanks for the replies.
    Some of the booties don't have so solid a sole, but it's not going to be very comfortable stuffed inside a shoe, but OTOH I've never tried. I'd think they'd be especially uncomfortable in the area for the cleats (and that would be a hole in the sock so to speak).

It's my toes that get particularly cold, and where my shoes generally have vent areas, so I often just put enough plastic (plastic food wrap works great) in the toe of the shoe with a good pair of wool socks, rather than a whole bag over the foot.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    I bought a couple of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Fits nicely over my "shimano street shoes".............buy 1-2 sizes over if you're using shoes like:
    http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product.a...S&currency=USD

I've found these to be better then the Pearl Izumi stuff that REI sold.......cheaper too. It rains a lot here in Hawaii...........get's to the mid 40's where I live.

www.derbyrims.com
    I've use those Performance over shoe neoprene booties for nearly 2 decades on cold, mud, and rain rides in coastal NorCal. Of course they won't fit inside a shoe. Buy them 2 sizes larger than your shoe size. Using summer socks and shoes your feet will sweat with these on. Feet stay dry crossing deep streams. And your shoes stay clean. It's better to be warm than cold. They are terrible for hiking, if you have to hike much get some winter bike shoes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Those ARE MADE TO GO ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE SHOE!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks to all for the replies... I'm gonna try the booties on the outside 1st then I'll go with the different sock recommendations. 1st winter riding in NVA and once my feet get wet, they stay really cold!

mtbr member
    Worst: socks, even heavy wool, with mesh vented shoe.
    Better #1: light wool sock under Sealskinz (or equivalent) sock inside mesh vented shoe
    Better #2: wool socks with neoprene booty outside of shoe.
    Better #3: combine better #2 with better #3 - getting pretty rubbery
    BEST - winter riding shoe one size larger than your summer shoe with heavy wool sock
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    I'm in the DC area too and commute in those performance booties whenever its really cold or wet. I really like havin dry shoes, socks and feet- and booties do a good job at that. Just be careful not to do this.

Members who have read this thread: 0