Bontrager RXL 180 softshell...best jacket I have tried- Mtbr.com
    I like turtles

Bontrager RXL 180 softshell...best jacket I have tried

Just a note to say that I got this jacket for Christmas and it may be the best winter riding jacket I have ever had. Note..this is a roadie-cut jersey so the baggy guys are going to hate it. But for me, a lycra/XC guy and a roadie/cross guy, its great. Its got 3 standard jersey-type pockets in the rear which is a must for me and the sleeves are removable turning it into a vest which is a nice feature. I can ride in the low 40s with just a ss base layer beneath. It has longer arms with thumb holes that you can pull over your gloves which give you more wind-resistence on top of your hands. The jacket feels 100% windproof. The back is a lighter material to facilitate breathability. A great jacket to consider...not cheap...but most of the time cheap and great don't go in the same sentence.
    Last edited by TiGeo; 01-04-2015 at 08:24 PM.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

meow meow
    agree 100%. the cut is right on. arms are long, waist is cut long in the back but short in the front for no bunching. for me i can wear a long sleeve base layer under it for dry mid 20s to 30s days or throw a windshell or storm shell over it for nastier days.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the review. I have a mountaineering softshell that fits similar to the Bontrager, not as long in the back. It's not totally wind proof but I mtb mainly in the woods and so wind isn't a big issue. Interestingly lots of riders here on 5-6" bikes with baggy shorts, knee pads and road type jerseys. Anyway softshells are great for riding in cold weather and the removable sleeves sound like a great idea.
    Formerly Travis Bickle

Team Robot. "modulation is code for “I suck at brake control.” Here’s a free tip: get better."