Body armor source??- Mtbr.com
    Freshly Fujified

Body armor source??

I took a spill today and whacked my forearm pretty bad, so I think I'm going to buy some elbow/forearm and knee/shin armor. I'm concerned about buying online because of sizing issues, so I'm looking for a LBS in suburban Philadelphia that stocks a variety of this type of equipment. If anyone has a good recommendation for a source, please speak up.

Thanks,

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Trail eater
    hey bob, where were you when you took the spill?

I have found and watched my good buddy dave crash every now and again I think its mainly due to low speed accidents. How about turning it up a notch and I bet you wont fall as much
    hope you recover quickly
    Climb like a goat, descend like a banshee

Freshly Fujified

Bethlehem today

Quote Originally Posted by electric mustard
    hey bob, where were you when you took the spill?

I have found and watched my good buddy dave crash every now and again I think its mainly due to low speed accidents. How about turning it up a notch and I bet you wont fall as much
    hope you recover quickly
    I agree, the fall came as a result of two things. Not enough momentum, and wet trails.

Hackamo coordinated a group ride up in Bethlehem today, and I was taking my typical leisurely pace and took a spill coming through a rock garden (at least my rear wheel stayed put this time!). I ignored all the rules of falling and extended my arms and slammed my right forearm into a rock. After this and the endo at Stover where I wailed the left forearm on the log, it's time for protection. Who knows, maybe with the armor some of the apprehension will wear off?

Thanks for the healing vibes. I have a knot, and motion was somewhat limited this afternoon, but I'm moving it a bit easier now. I'm sure tomorrow morning will be different.

We'll have to get together soon. As soon as I get my armor!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    I took a spill today and whacked my forearm pretty bad, so I think I'm going to buy some elbow/forearm and knee/shin armor. I'm concerned about buying online because of sizing issues, so I'm looking for a LBS in suburban Philadelphia that stocks a variety of this type of equipment. If anyone has a good recommendation for a source, please speak up.

Thanks,

Bob
    Body armor is for Storm Troopers, not mountain bikers.

Hoopy Frood
    Quote Originally Posted by schnauzers
    I wonder which button on the front of that dude's costume calls his mom to come pick him up when the convention is over.
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson

Yappy little dog!
    Quote Originally Posted by khill
    I wonder which button on the front of that dude's costume calls his mom to come pick him up when the convention is over.
    He knows:

Freshly Fujified

Funny...

I was going to use a stormtrooper photo, but I thought the Itlaian armor looked dorkier. As for your comment, I'd rather wear the armor then end up with broken bones!

Bob

Yappy little dog!
    I was going to use a stormtrooper photo, but I thought the Itlaian armor looked dorkier. As for your comment, I'd rather wear the armor then end up with broken bones!

Bob
    Body armor will not prevent broken bones on an OTB. It will also not prevent your riser bar from breaking your ribs.

Freshly Fujified

Enlighten me please

Body armor will not prevent broken bones on an OTB. It will also not prevent your riser bar from breaking your ribs.
    If it doesn't protect in a fall or OTB, then why do people who ride aggressively wear it? What is it's purpose? I'm confused. Help me out before I spend good money on something I don't need.

Thanks,

Bob

Yappy little dog!
    If it doesn't protect in a fall or OTB, then why do people who ride aggressively wear it? What is it's purpose? I'm confused. Help me out before I spend good money on something I don't need.

Thanks,

Bob
    If you go OTB and put your arms straight out to break your fall (gut instict), the part of your arm hitting the ground (our babyhead) won't be the part that is protected. Most DHers that I know tell me they wear body armor to protect themselves when smashing into things (trees, rocks, etc) as they make turns (similar to moto-xers). Will it protect your knees and elboes? On certain types of falls, yes. I busted the bursus (sp?) sack on my elbow in Moab trying a technical climb I didn't have the skill for. It wasn't an OTB, it was a fall to the side. Would the elbo protector work there? Yes. Bit, that was the last time I ever fell that way because I learned how to fall correctly and avoid injury.

Do I own armor? Yes. Have I ever worn it? No. It hampers what little riding ability I have and it's too uncomfortable and hot.

Freshly Fujified

Thanks

Just the type of info I'm looking for as I make my decision. Both recent falls for me resulted in the outside part of my forearms whacking a rock or tree. I thought that was the part of the arm the guards would protect. Maybe I'm overreacting, too. Just not looking forward to the next inevitable fall, and I certainly don't think I'm going to learn to fall before the next incident happens. I do appreciate your insights, as you've obviously been in similar situations, so it helps hearing it from someone who's been there. Sounds like I should just continue to hone my riding skills, and keep momentum like e_m suggested.

I'm off to take some advil and get some sleep.

Bob

Yappy little dog!
    Just the type of info I'm looking for as I make my decision. Both recent falls for me resulted in the outside part of my forearms whacking a rock or tree. I thought that was the part of the arm the guards would protect. Maybe I'm overreacting, too. Just not looking forward to the next inevitable fall, and I certainly don't think I'm going to learn to fall before the next incident happens. I do appreciate your insights, as you've obviously been in similar situations, so it helps hearing it from someone who's been there. Sounds like I should just continue to hone my riding skills, and keep momentum like e_m suggested.

I'm off to take some advil and get some sleep.

Bob
    Yup. That's my opinion and experience and I am sure some will disagree. I don't think there is any replacement for skill and control (and I wish I had them )

Respect Your Trails
    Call Me Clyde,

When did you take the spill at Stover? Month ago or so? You didn't happen to be doing a creek crossing did you? Just curious.

Without a doubt, knowing how to fall properly and continously improving your skills are probably the best protection from being injured. (besides a helmet obviously) If you feel you would benefit from the pads by giving you more confidence...maybe its worth the while. I don't think your looking for full upper body armor like some people are suggesting?....your just looking for arm and elbow armor which truely isn't a huge investment: $15 maybe 20.

I wear shin / knee pads, and there has been a few situations where I'm thankful I do. I'm so used to wearing them that it is second nature at this point, regardless of the type of riding I'm doing. I don't find them overly hot, or annoying. And if they give me a little more confidence in certain situations, then so be it.

I'd rather take a spill, have my knee protected, and be able to get back on my bike and keep hammering the rest of the day, than to cut the day short and then sit at home recovering a bad knee for a few weeks while my bike sits un-ridden.

Freshly Fujified

Clarification

Dahoos, The spill I took at Stover was a couple of months ago on a group ride, and it wasn't during a stream crossing. It was a situation where I was coming up on some technical terrain, and I panicked and grabbed a handful of front brake. I went OTB and my left forearm landed on a dryrotted log about 4" in diameter. Thank God the log snapped rather than my arm.

I'm looking at elbow/forearm and knee/shin protection as compared to full body armor. My thought was that with these, it might help to instill confidence, and when the inevitable fall happens, minimize the impact. Like I said to schauzers, maybe I'm overrreacting. All I know is that if I can wear something to help minimize pain and or broken bones, I have to at least consider it. I also have to become a better rider.

Bob

Respect Your Trails
    Call Me Clyde.

Ok that wasn't you then. Hahaha. I was up there hiking with my girlfriend and dog, over near the campground side. This guy has a clear view of us, but decides that he would show off and fly down the bank, and cross one of the rocky creekbeds. He was obviously in a little over his head, and was not out over the real wheel nearly enough. He nailed a rock wrong and it launched him OTB and his pedals didn't let go until about 3/4 of the way over. Man it looked painful. I made sure he was ok because he came down onto his one arm pretty bad. But I couldn't help to not feel horrible because he really should have either waited till we passed, or at least taken it a little slower rather than fly down right at us in an attempt to be cool. Anyway, trail etiquette is a whole other subject...

Honestly if protecting your arms and elbows during a fall is a concern of yours I would get some armor. Everyone is going to have a different opinion on whether it is necessary or not....but that, as always, is just their opinion. I don't think wanting to protect yourself should ever be associated with the style of riding you do. Man, if you want to wear a full face helmet to ride singletrack, go for it. You'll be hot as hell, but if you feel better with it, more power to ya.

These go for $20 on pricepoint.com. Not a huge investment, and they actually look pretty well ventilated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    a variation on using body armor all he time might just be to buy a set and use it to protect an injured area till it gets better.

when i was young i had a set of shin pads and an elbow pad for riding my skateboard. i never wore them when i was fine but after whacking your shin or elbow once you sure as hell don't want to hit it again before it gets better; OOOOWWWW!

if armor makes you more confident, armor up!

Freshly Fujified

Thanks max

Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    if armor makes you more confident, armor up!
    I appreciate your thoughts. I'm still mulling over the pros and cons of wearing them. The first thing I need to do is find a local shop that stocks the stuff. I'd like to check out the options, try some of it on for size, weight, and comfort factors. The welt subsided fairly quickly, and have had full motion in the arm since Sunday. It's still somewhat sore, but I definitely healed faster than I thought. I will most definitely be back out on the biek again before I make my final decision.

Bob

long standing member
    I appreciate your thoughts. I'm still mulling over the pros and cons of wearing them. The first thing I need to do is find a local shop that stocks the stuff. I'd like to check out the options, try some of it on for size, weight, and comfort factors. The welt subsided fairly quickly, and have had full motion in the arm since Sunday. It's still somewhat sore, but I definitely healed faster than I thought. I will most definitely be back out on the biek again before I make my final decision.

Bob
    I've been looking into getting some of the 661 Veggie Knee Wraps. They're neoprene, with no hard cover protection, but seem like they wouldn't be any more restrictive (or hotter) than a typical neoprene knee support brace. 661 also makes Shin Wraps and Elbow Pads with the same material. This post is what prompted me to consider them (in addition to constantly walking around with scabbed over knees and shins ). El C is a pretty big guy (sometimes doing some big moves) so I take his opinion to heart when it comes to gear.

I have not found any LBS that stock these to try them on, so my dilemma is similar to yours. I've considered mail order, but they're still hard to find and I still have to deal with shipping them back if they don't fit or work right. It does appear that they can be purchased directly off the 661 website. Let us know what you decide to do.

Patrick

Hoopy Frood

Bike shop

Clyde, you might want to check with the Abington Wheelwright Bike Shop. I stopped by there almost a year ago and I believe they had some armor in stock. Not sure if they still do but it's worth a shot.

http://www.awwbs.com/

Lousy website but a decent shop and knowledgable folks (at least that was my impression from a brief "just browsing" visit).

HTH
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson

Freshly Fujified

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by khill
    Clyde, you might want to check with the Abington Wheelwright Bike Shop. I stopped by there almost a year ago and I believe they had some armor in stock. Not sure if they still do but it's worth a shot.

http://www.awwbs.com/

Lousy website but a decent shop and knowledgable folks (at least that was my impression from a brief "just browsing" visit).

HTH
    It definitely helps. I'll call to see what they might have in stock before drivinmg out, but they're close enough to consider.

Bob

Edit: I just called, they carry 661 and Race Face, so I'll go look this weekend.
    Last edited by Call_me_Clyde; 05-24-2006 at 10:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm a big fan of some leg/knee protection. I own 661 4x4 leg/knee pads & their 2x4 elbow/forearm protection. I just emailed 661 directly to get some insight on what size I should order....they were very helpful & steered me in the right direction. I ordered mine from BlueSky who always seemed to have a combo deal on the 4x4 & 2x4 set.

On the subject of armor itself....

Being a fairly young guy (26), unfortunately my knee's are pretty messed up already. I can't afford another injury to them. Even on mild trails I will usually have my legs covered. The worst falls seem to happen on the easiest stuff. They sure aren't gonna protect against everything, but the few times I 'tested' them, they were worth every penny. The forearm stuff I don't wear so much. They're comfortable, I just haven't felt the need for them just yet.

Members who have read this thread: 0