Body armor for big boys- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Body armor for big boys

I hit a tree while skiing. I'll admit I was going damn fast in the woods so it's all my fault.

5 Broken Rids
    5 Transverse Process Fractures (The bit of you vertebrea that stick straight out, the part you touch when you run your hand down your back. These were due to the forces applied to the front of my chest when I hit hit the tree. I didn't really hit my back)
    Mild concussion, you should see the dent in my helmet. I was out for at least 10 minutes.
    1 seperated shoulder
    1 collapsed lung

I ended up in the ICU for 3 days and then the regular surgical care section of the hospital for another 3 days with a chest tube to drain the blood and shtuff coming out of my lung.

ANyway, The wife wants me to wear upper body armor if I'm going to tree ski anymore and it won't hurt for DH either.

I'm looking for chest/shoulder mostly. Perhaps one of the jackets?

Any ideas for a big guy 6'1" 250pounds but on the way down?
    Disclaimer: I fix bikes for a living.

Dec 2005
    im big, and i use the 661 full jacket. its sooo nice, breatheable, and protects you. the f-zipper fell off it and they wont warranty it. for 160$ i think they could have at least sent me a new zipper. other than that, i have deep ass gouges in the armour that could have been body gouges. so its still worth a bunch.

long standing member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwnhlldav
    Any ideas for a big guy 6'1" 250pounds but on the way down?
    I don't have one, but I've been eyeing the Rockgardn Flak Jacket. The XXL is sized 48-52in chest. It's got pretty good reviews on mtbr.

When you do pick something up let us know what you get and how it works out.

Feb 2004

Don't forget to look for used...

I'm 220 lbs and XL shirt

I found some used Dansi armor full legs and jacket. Got a great deal. Right here in classifieds. Armor fits and moves great.

~GOD BLESS~

john

I railed it like Kong
    I own the Flak Jacket pictured above and it is a great system. You can take off the elbow sections if you just want to run the body and shoulders. Breathes well for wearing a bunch of plastic.
    I'm UNIQUE... just like everybody else.

mtbr member
    Rock Gardn flak jacket rocks, love mine.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by PCinSC
    I don't have one, but I've been eyeing the Rockgardn Flak Jacket. The XXL is sized 48-52in chest. It's got pretty good reviews on mtbr.

When you do pick something up let us know what you get and how it works out.

Great choice. I've been using RG gear for years and it keeps getting better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I run the TLD pro descender, it's pretty much the same as the rock garden, but not hard in the chest.

Members who have read this thread: 0