Body Armor- Mtbr.com

Thread: Body Armor

mtbr member

Body Armor

What are you guys using for body armor? I don't want to weight myself down and look like 3-CPO on a bike, but I'm tired of getting hurt.

I don't really downhill or free ride, but I live where there are lots of rocks, drops... and very little dirt. 3 weeks ago I hit my back on a rock and got very lucky it was not serous, today it was my leg. If it was not for the rocks it would be no big deal, but those things hurt bad and I think I've actually just been lucky that these crashes have only kept me off the bike for a few days.

Looking for some basic gear, but not sure where to start. Right now I just wear Gloves and a Helmet.

Naturally Organic
    Dainese
    POC
    SixSixOne

Fox

mtbr member
    May 2010
    rockgarden flack jacket
    Here's to sweat in your eye.

Naturally Organic

Cool-blue Rhythm Must Have: Bicycle Airbag Helmet...

I'm not sure how I have ridden as long as I have and lived...without this!

There is actual video proof of this working...

Obviously, she is dressed in fully protective gear (possibly similar to what the OP might be looking for...not sure the brand, sorry, can't help you with that info)...

Imagine you are riding along and BLAM! Accident...ouch...not with this!

https://www.bikerumor.com/2010/10/21...met-seriously/

mtbr member
    Dainese 3X

Lightweight, very comfortable, and has held up to 2 years of constant use, and many washings. Finally had to redo some stitching, and should be good for many more years.

is buachail foighneach me
    Helmet. Sometimes shorts.

Naturally Organic

Cool-blue Rhythm T L D...? Chieftain...!

Quote Originally Posted by sean salach
    Helmet.
    Just FYI, I might be changing my helmet recommendations from this point forward...

Naturally Organic

Cool-blue Rhythm Protect Your Assets...

Sorry about the Airbag Helmet...I will focus...

Play around the websites...

You will find everything from simple to complex...

Dainese
    https://www.dainese.com/us_en/multis...104&subcat=105
    Simple (some may consider a CamelBack simpler):

Moderate:

Complex:

POC Sports
    https://www2.pocsports.com/products/...sp?season=Bike
    Simple:

Moderate:

SixSixOne
    https://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_66...f-04839b09964e
    Simple:

Moderate:

Complex:

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    At a very minimum I think it's neccesary to have elbow and knee pads when you go mountain biking.

I use protech pads when I go riding.

Protech Park Elbow Pad:

Protech Park Knee Pads:

Note that Protech makes a lighter "Street" knee and elbow pads.

I would also recommend wrist guards:

If you can down it's very easy to injure your wrist for a lengthy period of time.

Fox makes an makes an two a chest protector, that provides shoulder,chest as well as upper and mid back protection:

A Foxchest plate is also much cooler than a full suit the disadvantage to using a chest protector is that you need a separate lower back protector,such as Alpinestars' Bionic Street belt:

In terms of a fullsuit I think Fox's Titan Sport Jacket is the best:

The back protector extends down the full length of your back so you it would probably protect you from any impact on your back.

Personally when I ride I usually use wrist guards,elbow and knee pads as well as a fox raceframe chest protector and sometimes the alpinestars lower back protector,depending upon the heat and the craziness of the course. The biggest issue with armor is not weight it's heat , you're going run a little hotter than everyone else.

mtbr member
    This thread has some pics of Dainese 3X pads compared to some Rockgrdn pads.

The Dainese pads have a lot of coverage, but are quite compact to store on or in a pack, and much lighter than the others. Not cheap, but the materials and craftsmanship are excellent. Ours have taken plenty of crashes, and due to my girlfriends lack of tolerance to severe "STINK", they have been washed many, many times.

Also, my girlfriend is "PICKY" when it comes to gear comfort. The Dainese pass this test. If she will wear them on every ride, I can almost guarantee you will find them tolerable. Durtgurl also uses them. You might send her a PM and ask her about them.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...=knee+pad+pics

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info.

Looks like there are quite a few options. I need to see if any of the local shops carry this stuff ( have not noticed any of them having it).

The Dainese and SixSixOne gear look good. Heat and airflow do seem to be a problem area.

beater
    I haven't handled any Dainese, but they have a reputation for quality, and are priced accordingly. SixSixOne is cheaper, and for a reason. I have EVO knees and EVO elbows, and the seams and fabric are showing more stretch and wear than I'd expect for as little as I wear them. When they finally tear, I'll probably not bother with the d30 pads, and instead get traditional hard plastic. Dainese, Troy Lee and RaceFace will probably be at the top of my shopping list.

All the brands will fit a little differently, and it's definitely worth trying them on before you buy.

mtbr member
    My hydration back has spared me pain a number of times on cataclysmic dismounts. I'd wear elbow/knee/shin protection and possibly a full-face if shuttle monkeying but I get too hot otherwise. Injuries just come with the sport. YMMV.
    Professional Amateur

mtbr member
    May 2010

FlackJacket

I did a fair amount of research into this a while back. Never pulled the trigger but talked a friend into getting the RockGarden FlackJacket. This guy lives in a hot area and has been wearing it for several hours 3 to 4 days a week at the BMC track. He has told me that when I go to purchase one get the flackjacket.

that is my .02
    Here's to sweat in your eye.

is buachail foighneach me
    I highly recommend this to keep you safe while riding extreme cross country mountain bicycling.

Members who have read this thread: 0