Body Armor- Mtbr.com

Thread: Body Armor

Chris Bling

New question here. Body Armor

Hey everyone, i have never worn any kind of body armor other than knee/shin guards while riding my trials bike. I am at a point in my life where i am thinking it is probably smart to start wearing some more protection

I do mostly all mountain riding and light to moderate freeride. Most of the trails are very rocky and unforgiving to crash on. I am looking for a good chest protector that will also give me good shoulder protection as well. I will be wearing it both up the hills as well as the downhill, so it needs to be not too hot or heavy.

i am not interested in a full bodyish compression suit, just some good upper body protection.

So my question for everyone is what kind of body armor do you wear? And what would you recommend?

thanks a bunch
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Handbuilt Custom Wheels

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Purveyor of Trail Tales!
    Aug 2005

Good job! RockGardn TrailStar Chest Protector

Quote Originally Posted by dustyduke22
    Hey everyone, i have never worn any kind of body armor other than knee/shin guards while riding my trials bike. I am at a point in my life where i am thinking it is probably smart to start wearing some more protection

I do mostly all mountain riding and light to moderate freeride. Most of the trails are very rocky and unforgiving to crash on. I am looking for a good chest protector that will also give me good shoulder protection as well. I will be wearing it both up the hills as well as the downhill, so it needs to be not too hot or heavy.

i am not interested in a full bodyish compression suit, just some good upper body protection.

So my question for everyone is what kind of body armor do you wear? And what would you recommend?

thanks a bunch
    Hi dustyduke22,

There are MX rock roost chest protectors that are pretty light. However, other than full pressure suits the RockGardn TrailStar Chest Protector is the only mountain bike oriented chest/back/shoulder protection that I've seen.

http://www.rockgardn.com/items/body-...htm?1=1&menu=1

It's well made, less restrictive and lighter than a full pressure suit. I used it for at least 15 days at Northstar in the heat of last summer and loved it. I also have their full on pressure suit and, except for overheating in it, I love it as well. RockGardn makes great products!

Good luck,

Michael
    If you can't keep the rubber side down......at least smile for the camera!

mtbr member
    Look no further - http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.co.u..._fliteplus.asp
    Light, breathable, flexible and supposedly has a higher impact rating than the Dainese stuff.

Chris Bling
    thanks for the suggestions! Does anyone have some used stuff that they are wanting to get rid of? I would b interested in that too
    The obsession of wheels fused with the passion of cycling
    Handbuilt Custom Wheels

percocet pioneer.
    Quote Originally Posted by juanbeegas
    Look no further - http://www.forcefieldbodyarmour.co.u..._fliteplus.asp
    Light, breathable, flexible and supposedly has a higher impact rating than the Dainese stuff.
    that looks pretty damn weak, I'd have to read some good reviews before I wore that..

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Check out this site, real good prices on protective gear, mostly mx stuff but they have some light weight versions of body armor as well, may be what you are looking for.
    Looks like everything ships free with no minimum, I just got a new mx helmet and some elbow guards at a great price:

http://www.ridersdiscount.com/offroa...on-adult/2.php

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by $ally Hu$tle
    that looks pretty damn weak, I'd have to read some good reviews before I wore that..
    Look around the site. They have reviews from moto magazines up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I bought the Race Face DH armor and wear it riding up and down. It is really light weight and not a compression suit. Jenson usa has it on discount right now for $122.00, down from $200.00. I already took one light crash and didn't even feel a thing. The only thing is the chest protection seems really light and needs more padding, so I added it myself. It sounds like exactly what you looking for. Check it out.

Citizen Of Earth
    May 2008
    Depends on what your gonna be doing, but the Fox Launch Suit fits my need perfectly when Im going DH, wearing it under a jersey is comfortable, dry, and leaves plenty of room for motion. SixSixOne also has some sweet stuff.

For light and mild FR I stick to the same Fox Launch knee/shin and elbow/forearms, where hard FR I wear the same setup as I do DHing.
    "If your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space." ~ J. Whittaker

Glad to Be Alive
    i have tried many but the coolest temp for me is the Azonic Underdog

http://www.azonicusa.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=216
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Slap happy crappiness
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    i have tried many but the coolest temp for me is the Azonic Underdog

http://www.azonicusa.com/catalog/pro...roducts_id=216
    Azonic is junk for armor... this looks like a re-hashed Z-6 suit which sucked in the first place. If you're gonna buy armor I'd suggest getting a 661 Core Saver and Dianese elbow pads. Cool, stays in place, decently affordable, and gives you the option to rock either or both depending on conditions.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    661 pro suit, light airy not cumbersome and good protection, pretty under rated.

mtbr member
    i ju st bought thor 09 impact rig, http://www.thormx.com/product.jsp?pa...1542,1570,6716
    havent used it yet, but its pretty light and confortable, and looks awesome.
    there are a couple of words that will open you many many doors in life....... push and pull.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    That "force field" suit costs 190! And it's sold out. I'm guessing that's gonna be out of the price range of the OP. It should be out of just about anyone's price range.

I use the rockgardn trailstar as well. I've tried the 661 chest/back guards and the trailstar was WAY more comfortable and provides better coverage at the shoulders. I think I paid $104 for mine, they can be found cheaper. The shoulder protection is important for me since I have a habit of inadvertently shoulder tackling trees while riding.

Along with the trailstar I run the fox launch elbow/forearm guards which have been great. I like the combination of elbow guards and chestpiece since it gives me a lot more freedom of movement and ventilation.

mtbr member
    i've never tried dainese, but i hear great things about their armor and stuff in general. unfortunately, all their gear is expensive. (body armor about $300-$400)

i own the rockgardn flak jacket, and it offers a lot of protection. plus, it's light, breathable, adjustable, and priced reasonably ($170 at pricepoint).

i know you mentioned you are not interested in a "full bodyish compression suit" but the rockgardn is surprisingly light and comfy relative to the amount of protection it offers.

THELAND photographer

+1 for FlakJacket

im another happy Flak Jacket owner and i wll def. agree that its not too heavy and pretty breathable...also you can remove the elbow/forearm guards so its just shoulders and upper body, its gota kidney belt, as well as rib guards The trailstar is nice too but the flak jacket does so much more for not that much more in price. I wouldnt go any other way, ATGATT is the way to go and spleens and kidneys arent cheap

SamIAm
    flack jacket is what i wear. its all mesh with removable arms so u can ride up without if you want. other than that the trailstar is your best bet for "light" protection. slips over anything or goes under whatever u want.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    +1 on the Trailstar. I hated my old Flakjacket that was overdone, hot and built for Bender-style hucks. I ended up cutting the kidney belt and sleeves off but it was still too much and uncomfortable. The Trailstar I can wear all day.

Members who have read this thread: 0