Body Armor

Printable View

• 07-22-2008
    wnt2race1day
    Body Armor
    I have been riding a couple of months now getting conditioned for national and am starting to think about body armor. I need some recommendations on what is the lightest but the best protection and something tha can be stowed on the way up and isnt too hot on the way down. I have also been thinking about full face helmet vs. the open lid.

I went to a few stores and couldn't find a place that stocks any. I live in the gilbert area and want to know if there is somewhere i can go to get the sizes down so I can save some money by ordering online.

Thanks guys
  • 07-22-2008
    azdog
    661 Kyle Strait knee guards. Wore them for the first time in Globe and couldn't believe how comfy they were and how well they stayed in place while pedaling.
  • 07-22-2008
    chollaball
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wnt2race1day
    I have been riding a couple of months now getting conditioned for national and am starting to think about body armor. I need some recommendations on what is the lightest but the best protection and something tha can be stowed on the way up and isnt too hot on the way down. I have also been thinking about full face helmet vs. the open lid.

I went to a few stores and couldn't find a place that stocks any. I live in the gilbert area and want to know if there is somewhere i can go to get the sizes down so I can save some money by ordering online.

Thanks guys

Adventure in Mesa, Cactus on Elliot Road in Phoenix, Rage in Scottsdale. If you are going to the store and trying on their stuff, you should at least ask them to give you their best price before you go online. They are definitely providing you with a service, give em the chance for your business and consider a few dollars more as a service fee that you can't get at Jenson or PricePoint.

anything will strap to your pack with enough creativity, the pack not the gear is the more limiting factor there. Everything is hot in summer, but less neoprene and more open mesh is good, imo.
  • 07-22-2008
    sixsixtysix
    Quote:

Originally Posted by azdog
    661 Kyle Strait knee guards. Wore them for the first time in Globe and couldn't believe how comfy they were and how well they stayed in place while pedaling.

Did you just get these? They are the bomb, I will not wear shin pads ever again after wearing the Kyle Straits. Best knee guards out there.:thumbsup:
  • 07-22-2008
    Truckee Trash
    Ive got the 661 EVO Knee and Elbow and love em. . . I think the Straits cost slightly less than the EVO's . . . EVO's are light as sin and the D30 stuff works pretty darn well, they breathe great. I also have the big knee shin combo (cheapy 661 kind) and really not impressed. They do their job (save your legs) but they are uncomfortable and slide down, the strap system is not very conducive to being in the saddle or having really bent knees as they just slide on down.

I might also add that I think the sticthing in all of the 661 stuff Ive come across is just s h i t e. Single thread and weaksauce. Starting to go on my EVO's and Coresaver which is pratically brand new.

Anyone know of any small plastic shin guards that can be worn in addition to a knee pad? Sixty what was that thing on your bionic leg?
  • 07-22-2008
    azdog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sixsixtysix
    Did you just get these? They are the bomb, I will not wear shin pads ever again after wearing the Kyle Straits. Best knee guards out there.:thumbsup:

Yep, got tired of the Roach pads sliding and the straps becoming stretched out way to easily. The 661's still come low enough for me to protect against pedal hits on the front. I agree with Truckee about the single stitch though but the Roach pads also had this issue. I now feel like a little racer boy with them ha! For the original poster, I think you should try a few helmets out and see what is comfortable for you. I would recommend one with a washable liner though.
  • 07-22-2008
    KavuRider
    Quote:

I now feel like a little boy with them

:skep:
    :nono:
  • 07-22-2008
    Truckee Trash
    just what do little boys feel like? nah nevermind. . .ill stick to teenage girls
  • 07-22-2008
    azdog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KavuRider
    :skep:
    :nono:

LOL

I said racer boy! Mr. Pedo
  • 07-22-2008
    KavuRider
    Quote:

LOL

I said racer boy! Mr. Pedo

I know what you said.

Its still disturbing.

I wore my flak jacket for the first time in awhile this past weekend.
    It sucked.
  • 07-22-2008
    wnt2race1day
    Thanks for the suggestions, I will head over and check out the 661 gear tomorrow. Good point about buying at the store cholla, I would prefer walking out with the stuff anyways rather than waiting for the shipments.
  • 07-22-2008
    justjumped
    Protection
    I crashed hard in Jan on National, broke my hand and graded my face. Ever since then Iíve used a full face riding down National. Going up I wear an open face. Even so, by the time I get back to the parking lot my core tempís blistering. It's hot, no getting around that but you are protected.

As for the legs, I have been using the Fox Launch Knee/Shin for about 2-years and the X-strap system has been excellent for holding them in place; 0 slippage. However, they rub a little on the knee so I use the sleeves off of an old t-shirt on my knees and that works fine.

Arms, I wear the Roach Rally and they've also been excellent. I bought them both at Cactus.

Tiny
  • 07-22-2008
    Cato
    Another thumbs up for the Kyle Straight knee guards. They're comfortable and do what they're supposed to.
  • 07-23-2008
    kelstr
    Quote:

Originally Posted by justjumped
    I crashed hard in Jan on National, broke my hand and graded my face. Ever since then Iíve used a full face riding down National. Going up I wear an open face. Even so, by the time I get back to the parking lot my core tempís blistering. It's hot, no getting around that but you are protected.

As for the legs, I have been using the Fox Launch Knee/Shin for about 2-years and the X-strap system has been excellent for holding them in place; 0 slippage. However, they rub a little on the knee so I use the sleeves off of an old t-shirt on my knees and that works fine.

Arms, I wear the Roach Rally and they've also been excellent. I bought them both at Cactus.

Tiny

i also love the fox Launch Knee/Shin protectors.
    i have used many other styls and brands and none would stay in place like the fox Launch.
    ( and you can get short ones and long ones ------i have the long ones for my long leggs )
    and the best thing about the Launch is they do not move when you crash like all the other ones did on my leggs ( and you get gouged up anyway from the pads moving ---thats stupid )

:eek:
  • 07-23-2008
    BiGWaVeDave
    661 Rocks
    I just got the Kyle Straights and they are super comfy and seem to offer a pretty good amount of protection. I did stop by Adventure and checked out a pair of the '08 knee/shin combos and they looked really similar to the Kyle Straights as far as comfort of the neoprene. The straps cross over. If you want more shin coverage these look like they would be killer, only problem is you have to remove your shoes to pull them on.