body armor- Mtbr.com

Thread: body armor

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

body armor

I've been thinking about getting body armor (knee/shin pads, elbow pads, body suit) to give me more confidence when I'm riding the technical stuff. I live in Arizona and I'm looking for something that won't get to hot and stays put for long rides...any suggestions?
    "Ride it Like You Stole it"!

May The Force Be With You
    sixsixone has some good stuff. but that's just my preference
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '01 Straight 8
    '16 Balance
    '11 Jedi (for sale, small)

mtbr member
    Most of the kids here are sporting raceface or 661. Something that won't get hot...that's going to be a bit of a problem. None of it is so comfy that you won't be thrilled to get it off at the end of a warm day.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

mtbr member
    if you go for a full pressure suit try to aviod the 661 comp, the spine protector will ride up and jam the back of your neck, just my 2 sense
    live life like a bullet
    FAST HARD AND GO OUT WITH A BANG

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Have been mountain biking for over 10 years, and last year I took two bad diggers. One in Arizona, if that helps. I don't normally ride AZ. Here is what I went with, Sixsixone evo elbow pads and troy lee T-bones for the shine. Both work well for staying in place, being lighter and offering adequate amounts of protection. I did some real basic testing, standing and falling on my elbows on the carpet, for the elbow pads. Troy lee hard elbow pads did not fare too well, the evos where much more comfy. I don't usually ride with the leg pads, however, when I do I wish I would have gone with the evos on the legs too. The t-bones are good, just a little restrictive compared to the evos. Disclaimer, they are both hot, no way around it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for all the input. 661 will probably be my choice, but I've seen lots of good reviews from rockgarden in the mtb reviews page. Has anyone tried their armor?
    "Ride it Like You Stole it"!

Surly OG
    Rockgardn Flak Jacket rocks....It has saved me from multiple possible dislocated shoulders, and some burly scrapes for sure. As an Old OG I gotta show up for the job on Mondays, and I don't heal up fast like I did when I was 22. Plus I already got scars on top of scars.

Fox 911 Knee shin

661 elbow / forearms

this kit has spared me many minor / major lacs racing / winnng CHDH and CCCX DH, and tons of get offs in the Sierra and other rocky, gnarly regions.
    Earn your turns. )'(

Members who have read this thread: 0