body armor- Mtbr.com

Thread: body armor

mtbr member

body armor

I need to buy a body armor to use for freeriding in the Alps this summer.
    I am looking for upper body protection but nicely ventilated as well. I am considering those for the time being because they are well-built and relatively reasonably priced.I think I will buy a pair of forearm guards when things get extra rocky but I don't feel like having the whole thing permanently attached to the suit.

I like the look of the second one but the lack of protection for the shoulders bugs me.
    Any other options?
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

mtbr member
    1) Try before you buy. Different makes have utterly different fit. It needs to be *right* otherwise it'll slip when you crash onto it and p!ss you off the rest of the time.

2) Dainese jackets are WAY cooler to wear than most of the 661 stuff.

3) Given elbows (along with knees) tend to be the first point of contact with the ground, I'd look at something with elbow pads built in (or at least get elbow pads from the word go)

4) Don't know how important this is to you, but the Dainese back protectors come a lot lower than the 661 ones, and are also articulated such that you can't hyper-extend your back (bend over backwards - the original cause of the injury that made me buy a suit in the first place)

It's a Turner!
    Take a look at Rockgardn. I just ordered the Flak Jacket. Not much more than the new 661 stuff and better quality. Cheap insurance, imo.
    I didn't just drink the koolaid, I stuck my head in the punchbowl.

Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
    i gotta go with jon here. if yer lookin for the best protection there is, look no further. all his points are dead on.
    No, I'm NOT back!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I guess he's the voice of reason.

The thing is that I fear I'm gonna boil in those.But protection is the goal, you're right.
    Former Homer...Ventana convert: extreme poseur!

lurker no more

Other places to check...aside from dainese, rockgardn and 661

http://macegear.com

http://hootsgear.com/armor_goods.html

http://azonicusa.com

Long vs. short sleeve body armor? For me, I'd go for the long sleeve armor with integrated elbow pads as it appears a lot of the short sleeve armor comes down to just above the elbow, which would interfere with the separate elbow pads that you would wear. Granted, I've never worn short sleeve body armor, but that's what it looks like to me. Dainese is a good choice for ventilation as Jon pointed out, but it is pretty pricey.

Members who have read this thread: 0