Body armor- Mtbr.com

Thread: Body armor

Old No. 7

Body armor

How often do you use your upper body armor? Do you even own body armor?

For the past month or so I've been entertaining the idea of upper body armor as the drops get bigger and the jumps longer. So after some lite research I went in to try out some different suits. 661 pressure suits were on sale so I gave them a try, and they fit horribly. The arms were way too long on the large, but the waste fit, ect... just couldn't find a good feeling one of thoes. I've read not to bother with the Azonic suits, plus they had none in stock, so the only other option I can think of is the Dainese Gladiatior, or Safty Jacket. Is $225+ worth it?
    I really just want opinions; who owns what, bennifits, drawlbacks, and just in general, was it worth it ($$$), given the amount of time you actually wear it?
    06 888 RC2X FOR SALE! PM FOR DETAILS

...the mustache has spoken

ICORR - FORC
    I have the short sleeve version of the 661, then can add forearm guards separately if I want. Only use it rarely around here, but wore it at Whistler and Sun Peaks last summer. Good thing too, took a couple diggers that would have been much worse without it, put a pretty good dent/scar in one of the shoulder pads and escaped with a very minor shoulder separation. Too hot to wear in the summer around here for much other than DH, and I don't do a lot of that, more of a freerider. I like a zipper that is not centered on the chest to keep from getting whacked on the sternum. It's worth it for me to use on chair-lift type runs; nice to have that "full-armor" sense of security when going for something extra big the first time or two as well.

ride hard take risks
    It's all about the fit, you gots to try them on tim it feels warm & cozzy
    http://www.evs-sports.com/products/?prodCategory=3 awsome products

kona-tize me captain
    rockgarden.....all i have to say
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

pwn3rator
    i have the short sleeve 661. it fits way better then the long sleeve ones i've tried. the azonic and rockgardn aren't bad either...
    Last edited by scabrider; 02-04-2006 at 10:55 PM.
    SOCAL UNION REPREZENT
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

Sep 2005
    dude ROCK GARDN all the way. just got my 06 flak jackets kicks ass WAAAYYY breathable and awsome protection evrywhere, back, chest shoudlers all the arms and sides

Old No. 7
    To everyone who said Rockgarden. Have you worn the Dainese stuff? If so, big diff.? I just got the Dainese elbow pads, and man do they fit better than anything I've come in contact with. + they snap into Dainese shirts... wheather or not I ever get one is a different question. So between Dainese, Rockgarden, and 661, what would you ride?

Apr 2005
    I just picked up a Z-6 for 95 brand new. I havent had the chance to try anything else. But the Z-6 is really breathable, I mean it is all mesh! It fits good, the spine protections is a little long, but I think you can take some of the links out? besides that it fits great! I think Jenson has them on there for 120's. But look to eBay for a 95 dollar deal.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Not to sound like a broken record, but I'm gonna have to say ROCKGARDN.

To your question regarding ROCKGARDN wearers ever using Dainese, I have. IMO, both suits are very well made and work equally well, the two major differences are price & customer service. For the price, ROCKGARDN is hard to beat and as for customer service, no one beats RG. I won't even comment on 66* stuff, it'd be a waste of time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have tried 661, Mace, Azonic , Dainese & Rockgardn. Really boils down to fit. True comfort is not something that comes natural with armor. You want a snug fit ( not tight )so the armor doesn't move in a crash. I wore Dainese for a while for comfort but found it doesn't offer good protection & the cost is so high. 661 was just poor quality. Azonic is preety good especially in warmer areas , but the material strechs so much I don't know if it would stay put in a crash. I currently have a 05' RG jacket - good protection, descent fit, only con is it gets warm, but maybe the 06' ???

aka Jesse Palmer
    Has anyone tried the new 661 PRO PRESSURE SUIT http://www.sixsixone.com/catalog.asp...c22560&pl=BIKE

We are actaully getting sponsored by sixsixone, so is any of there stuff any good?

another bozo on the bus
    i used to ride with a daineise upper but then started to wear less and less pads. im kind of a kook about it, but why focus on crashing by wearing a bunch of pads. commit. less pads you tell yourself "i have to make or i get seriously wrecked." thats my feeling about pads now. no pulling the chute. i used to argue the other way, "more pads is better." but i was always preparing to crash.

horn doggie
    RockGardn is the way to go. I wear all of their gear. These guys are constantly evolving the product, always improving the details. I have a 2004 Flak Jacket I've used one season, and it still kicks @ss. Price is right, fits my old body well, and, as I'v learned the hard way, will protect you!

BTW - I'm selling my '04 Flak Jacket for a song, size M (up to 41" chest). I just got an '06 model on principle. Look for my ad in the Classifieds.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by scooderdude; 02-05-2006 at 05:24 PM.

Sep 2004
    I have a rockgardn flack jacket and it fits like a shirt. Is comfy, cool, and it doesnt restric my movement.

Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    great price...I wear my Z-6 by Azonic all the time....it has saved me from breaking my elbow and numerous Superman slides (no rub off the nipple)...very comfortable, well ventilated

I would recommend the Z-6................
    Did you take any links out of the spine protection? It sits low and ends up pushing my shorts/ boxers down. I'm thinking about wearing it all the time after my weekend spill on some DJ which left me with a nice forearm trophy!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by cake96861
    I just picked up a Z-6 for 95 brand new. I havent had the chance to try anything else. But the Z-6 is really breathable, I mean it is all mesh! It fits good, the spine protections is a little long, but I think you can take some of the links out? besides that it fits great! I think Jenson has them on there for 120's. But look to eBay for a 95 dollar deal.
    great price...I wear my Z-6 by Azonic all the time....it has saved me from breaking my elbow and numerous Superman slides (no rub off the nipple)...very comfortable, well ventilated

the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

T.Dot Represent
    ive got a pressure suit and its realy sweet. the thing doesnt make u hot and it was worth every penny
    fiiiiiiiiiiiinchizzzzzzzzzzle

notabouttoseeyourlight

I did a nice superman slide through a rock garden this weekend, my forearms are really wishing I was wearing some kind of armor... oh well, I don't use that skin for anything anyway.
    cycle tracks will abound in utopia.

Nov 2004
    For inexpensive upper body(no elbow/forearm) Mace Swat Jacket over 661 for me. NO comparison. Just hold the two in your hand and you can feel the quality difference. The Mace is super comfy, fits just right, good adjustments, I love it and wear it a lot. $125 at my LBS

Feb 2004
    I run the 661 pressure suit. I'm tall and lanky, so virtually nothing fits me spot on. That being said, even with the "not so perfect fit" of the pressure suit, it has saved my a$$ quite a few times. I only use it when racing DH, doing drops that sketch me out a bit, and riding Santa Barbara; pretty much whenever I think that if I go down, I will have to take a trip to the ER if I'm not wearing it.

The RockGardn and Azonic are pretty good ones two. Just remember, some have just thick, spongy padding, while others have hard plastic between the thick spongy padding, and you will pay for that extra plastic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Dainese is better than anything else made. The others are getting better every year, but they still cannot touch Dainese for fit, breathability, comfort, and protection (who else has a vented aluminum honeycomb back protector that you can comfortably wear against bare skin?). The question is, are you willing to pay 2-3x as much for the Dainese jackets?

I've been in and seen a number of crashes that were minor because of the jacket, but would have been serious without the jacket.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by watermoccasin
    Dainese is better than anything else made. The others are getting better every year, but they still cannot touch Dainese for fit, breathability, comfort, and protection (who else has a vented aluminum honeycomb back protector that you can comfortably wear against bare skin?). The question is, are you willing to pay 2-3x as much for the Dainese jackets?

I've been in and seen a number of crashes that were minor because of the jacket, but would have been serious without the jacket.
    IMO the daineese and the Azonic Z-6 are the same.....the material is a different color...it is amazing holding them up together how the plates and everything are in the same place....save cash and get the Z-6
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by fred.r
    I've read the mesh on the Z-5 suits tear super easy, was this BS or was the prob. corrected for the Z-6 line, which are on sale at beyond for quite cheap, and what I was concidering untill I read that. Maybe time to re-concider?

Z-5's ripped easy...I had one and it still lasted 2 years....the Z-6 was totally revamped and is basically the Dianese...same material and everything

the material is real stretchy and soft against your skin...have not ripped mine yet and it seems like it would be hard to rip....I recommend buying one size smaller than you normally wear....all my pictures are with the Z-6...great suit.

The Z-6 is way cooler tempature wise compared to the 661 and rockgarden...I always wear mine even on the easy trails...you saw me wearing mine at TW
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 02-06-2006 at 11:18 PM.

Old No. 7

I've read the mesh on the Z-5 suits tear super easy, was this BS or was the prob. corrected for the Z-6 line, which are on sale at beyond for quite cheap, and what I was concidering untill I read that. Maybe time to re-concider?

Glad to Be Alive

Mar 2004
    I have a 661pressure suit(yellow one). It protected me well in a couple of hard falls I'v had while wearing it---deflected a branch from stabbing me in my chest when i ran into tree doing 30mph down a fireroad---most likey prevented back injury when I went OTB and landed on my back while out of control through a rock garden, prevented lots of road rash and cuts but i noticed that during some falls to my elbow, the pad would shift on impact and i would still get cut/ scraped up. I generalyl feel uncomfortable wearing any full body armor so I dont ussualy wear it all. I'v resorted to just dianese elbow pads and leg armor. I also keep my pipe and condoms in the chest pocket. i guess thats all the pressure suit is good for.
    Last edited by Master_Jako; 02-06-2006 at 11:43 PM.

Old No. 7
    Z-5's ripped easy...I had one and it still lasted 2 years....the Z-6 was totally revamped and is basically the Dianese...same material and everything

the material is real stretchy and soft against your skin...have not ripped mine yet and it seems like it would be hard to rip....I recommend buying one size smaller than you normally wear....all my pictures are with the Z-6...great suit.

The Z-6 is way cooler tempature wise compared to the 661 and rockgarden...I always wear mine even on the easy trails...you saw me wearing mine at TW
    Weird, I didn't knwo that was you. I got in your way when you hit that little over the trail dub. Then we talked about something, cool man. Good to put a face on one of these avatars. For some reason I feel the need to say "cool beans." Don't ask.

Feb 2004
    I rode with somebody who had it on, so although I didn't get to try it, I got to check it out. It seems to permit easier movement than their other pressure suits, but offers slightly less protection. The "pressure suit" has a bit more hard plastic on it versus the one you're looking at. However, the guy who owned it said that he really liked it.

I run the '04 Pressure Suit, and I like it. Our team is sponsored by 661, but honestly, I have never been let down by anything they make.
    Last edited by hbfrdh1; 02-06-2006 at 11:53 PM.

Glad to Be Alive
    Weird, I didn't knwo that was you. I got in your way when you hit that little over the trail dub. Then we talked about something, cool man. Good to put a face on one of these avatars. For some reason I feel the need to say "cool beans." Don't ask.
    I looked like this
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 12-27-2006 at 10:25 AM.

Old No. 7
    I looked like this
    Now I'm confused, were you the dude walking his bike UP TW that my roommates and I ended up talking to a bit, then on your way out I offered you a shuttle trip to the top? You had a older looking pick-up? Man I'm lost.

Glad to Be Alive
    Now I'm confused, were you the dude walking his bike UP TW that my roommates and I ended up talking to a bit, then on your way out I offered you a shuttle trip to the top? You had a older looking pick-up? Man I'm lost.
    I had the silver 4Runner it was at the bottom and I had to take off.......you do those package vacation trips???...

Now with flavor!!
    The new azonic (z6 I guess) and the new rockgardn are the same jacket. I've seen both right next to each other and they're identical except that the rockgardn has removable elbow pads. They must be getting them from the same place.

I've got last year's rockgardn jacket and it's comfy and very well padded. I'll be getting the newer one or the azonic version this year just because of the ventillation.

As far a dianese goes, it's certainly the most comfortable. That's because it has less padding though. I'd be down with paying for it if I thought it offered better protection but I've seen some friends get pretty ripped up with that stuff.

I seem to hit my shoulders a lot and the dome shaped cups of the bombshell jacket I had and the azonic/rockgardn diffuse impacts better than the dianese design from what I can tell. The dianese cups are contoured to fit your joints while what i've got is actually raised off the padding to allow it to expand on impact.

All that said, ANY jacket is better than nothing. I've got some scraped up backplate areas that I'm pretty relieved to have had something on when they happened.

Old No. 7
    I had the silver 4Runner it was at the bottom and I had to take off.......you do those package vacation trips???...
    Yep, but I'm not cheap.

Glad to Be Alive
    Yep, but I'm not cheap.

we rode up together in your car on the 2nd run............

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The new azonic (z6 I guess) and the new rockgardn are the same jacket. I've seen both right next to each other and they're identical except that the rockgardn has removable elbow pads. They must be getting them from the same place.

I've got last year's rockgardn jacket and it's comfy and very well padded. I'll be getting the newer one or the azonic version this year just because of the ventillation.

As far a dianese goes, it's certainly the most comfortable. That's because it has less padding though. I'd be down with paying for it if I thought it offered better protection but I've seen some friends get pretty ripped up with that stuff.

I seem to hit my shoulders a lot and the dome shaped cups of the bombshell jacket I had and the azonic/rockgardn diffuse impacts better than the dianese design from what I can tell. The dianese cups are contoured to fit your joints while what i've got is actually raised off the padding to allow it to expand on impact.

All that said, ANY jacket is better than nothing. I've got some scraped up backplate areas that I'm pretty relieved to have had something on when they happened.
    great write up

mtbr member
    what about the fox launchsuit?

suspension whore

props to 661

I'm a skinny 5'9 ridder in socal so the pressure suit is too hot to wear if there is much climbing but I used it all summer at mammoth or on any shuttle run that i used the full face on.
    I picked up the steve peat- blue upper body pressure suit for about 80$ and it fits well . at least compared to the red upper body suit that was way too big and loose even in the small size.
    for the price, I'm stoked on the SP model, it held up well in some ass over head tumbles last summer and stayed in place well.
    i wouldnt by any suit with out trying on but I also wouldnt be to concerned about cost, pay what you need too to get one that fits snug and dosnt move- it will be a hell of a lot cheaper than the cost of the broken bones and trip to the hospital, plus, you ride better when you feel confident and safe
    Intense 6.6..... Demo 9.

Mammoth MTN downhilling - check it out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb_m_pb0Ns0

Members who have read this thread: 0