Body Armor- Mtbr.com

Thread: Body Armor

Sep 2004

Body Armor

Hey guys, for x-mas i'm lookin to get some body armor, but im not sure what to get. I have heard a bunch of ppl like the 661 pressure suit, but others say it is uncomftorable. I don't really care what companie it is, just tell me what you have and why you like it. I am 5 8" ish and i weigh about 135. Oh, and i don;t want it to cost too much either. thanks a lot.

mtbr member
    i would go with the fox launch suit over the 661. Its more comfortable and cooler. The launch suit isn't very expensive either (i think) and has great protection.
    Derek

Aug 2005
    i have 661 pressure suit (the blue one?) and its comfortable when ur not lazy and put it on correctly. Pressure suits are meant to be put on under like a shirt, and put on tight so it hugs you, and all adjusted right. then you put ur jersey on over it, i cant even tell its on. if parts are loose and not tright, it will move more than u want it to and rub parts of ur body u dont want it too.

May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinM[Freerider]
    i have 661 pressure suit (the blue one?) and its comfortable when ur not lazy and put it on correctly. Pressure suits are meant to be put on under like a shirt, and put on tight so it hugs you, and all adjusted right. then you put ur jersey on over it, i cant even tell its on. if parts are loose and not tright, it will move more than u want it to and rub parts of ur body u dont want it too.
    this one has everything on it and its at a pretty cheap price: pressure suit

Specialized Rida
    I was thinking about getting one myself.

but do these suits help in preventing things like separated shoulders?

It seems like they can do just about everything else, but it really doesn't say much about the collar bone or things like preventing shoulder breaks or separations.

Just curious.....

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004

Aug 2005
    if u have a full face, it can protect ur next from going so far over, and the pressure suit has shoulder pads and could very well protect ur should from getting bashed around as hard/as much, so yes.

Super Fly
    Heard some says the 661 dont fit too good, but maybe its just the way they wore it. Dianese have very good ratings, but it cost an arm and a leg.

Freeriding Feline

Rockgardn

Is that the '05 that's still on the site? Anyone have an '06 pic?
    "If you give up your dream, you die."
    Twitter - KIKat1029

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skate
    I was thinking about getting one myself.

but do these suits help in preventing things like separated shoulders?

It seems like they can do just about everything else, but it really doesn't say much about the collar bone or things like preventing shoulder breaks or separations.

Just curious.....
    Nothing, absolutely nothing, no armour, is going to help prevent separated shoulders or broken collarbones. Without making the armour rigid and immobile, which would raise a whole different set of issues, there is no way to stop the forces that cause such injuries from happening.

I have spoken with many action sports clothing designers and medical people with regards to this issue and none of them could offer a viable solution.

Believe me your not the first person to ask and it continues to be something that is given thought too every year the armour I use is revised.

mtbr member
    Dianese is pretty much the best but rockgrdn is affordable, it can get hot in a rockgrdn but the comfort is unprecedented. They should make them white though. cause they get hot. I only had one real complaint about mine and that was that the shirt was too short so the kidney belt would be uncomfortable without a shirt underneath, last I checked, they fixed that.

Specialized Rida
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    Nothing, absolutely nothing, no armour, is going to help prevent separated shoulders or broken collarbones. Without making the armour rigid and immobile, which would raise a whole different set of issues, there is no way to stop the forces that cause such injuries from happening.

I have spoken with many action sports clothing designers and medical people with regards to this issue and none of them could offer a viable solution.

Believe me your not the first person to ask and it continues to be something that is given thought too every year the armour I use is revised.

Hmmm.....

Yeah, thats kind of what I figured, but I thought I would ask anyways.

Maybe one of these days they will come with something that doesn't restrict movement, but untill then I guess I just have to riding knowing that I will always have a chance of messing up my shoulder again.

Oh well, I just keep riding untill that happens..........Sh!t I hope not

May 2004

I second that sheeot. I separated my shoulder wearing a 661ps. Nothing can stop the blunt impact of a shoulder to the ground. After that, I just told myself to "roll" instead of try to take the impact with my head and arms.

Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by likestocrash
    I second that sheeot. I separated my shoulder wearing a 661ps. Nothing can stop the blunt impact of a shoulder to the ground. After that, I just told myself to "roll" instead of try to take the impact with my head and arms.
    thats kinda a scary thought...but thats what we have to risk right??

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004

Rockgardn 06

Quote Originally Posted by SuperKat7
    Is that the '05 that's still on the site? Anyone have an '06 pic?

Sep 2004

thats sick, im def considering that. any poinions on the Azonic Z-5?

SNOWRIDER

Rockgardn

another vote for the flak jacket I have the 05 and the 06 looks bichen
    "If you don't go [skibiking] this year, you'll be at least one year older when you do." ~ Warren Miller
    (Check out the 'IMPACT' video for some skibike footage)

May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinM[Freerider]
    thats kinda a scary thought...but thats what we have to risk right??
    damn it!!! next time i ride dh im going to be thinking about breaking my collar bone or separateing my shoulder, thanks for getting rid of my false hope of being safe

TNC
    noMAD man

But Red...

I think there is a definite "margin" of improvement that helps diminish the chance of shoulder separation and broken clavicals with well designed shoulder protection. I say "margin" because in principle you're right...those shoulder injuries are a "pushing" type force that causes the injury. However, I'm sure you, and I know I have come close to that magic moment when the impact force and your shoulder protection make that little bit of difference in a potential injury. Our clavicals and separation potential are so easy because of our spindly physiology in that part of our bodies, but I think there's a small benefit to prevent injury with good shoulder protection. I have another thought on this issue that's hardly qualifiable, but I think has some merit. Some of our shoulder/clavical injuries occur when our shoulders hit the ground or an object and our unpadded and unarmored shoulder "digs in" to the ground or object, causing a pull or twist. The plastic cups and padding of good armor tend to slide a bit or at least move thereby diminishing the initial impact somewhat, and hopefully disipating the energy. I've felt this in many mountainbike and dirt motorcycle get-offs, and even cutting too close to a tree. Just a thought.

Chillin the Most
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TNC
    I think there is a definite "margin" of improvement that helps diminish the chance of shoulder separation and broken clavicals with well designed shoulder protection. I say "margin" because in principle you're right...those shoulder injuries are a "pushing" type force that causes the injury. However, I'm sure you, and I know I have come close to that magic moment when the impact force and your shoulder protection make that little bit of difference in a potential injury. Our clavicals and separation potential are so easy because of our spindly physiology in that part of our bodies, but I think there's a small benefit to prevent injury with good shoulder protection. I have another thought on this issue that's hardly qualifiable, but I think has some merit. Some of our shoulder/clavical injuries occur when our shoulders hit the ground or an object and our unpadded and unarmored shoulder "digs in" to the ground or object, causing a pull or twist. The plastic cups and padding of good armor tend to slide a bit or at least move thereby diminishing the initial impact somewhat, and hopefully disipating the energy. I've felt this in many mountainbike and dirt motorcycle get-offs, and even cutting too close to a tree. Just a thought.
    By all means you are correct and that's why I stated that currently their is nothing that can be done to eliminate the injury. The cups as you pointed out do help, but only slightly. However, we're keeping this issue in the back of our minds and hopefully we will be able to come up with a solution, but for now...???

Another suggestion to help with the prevention of injuries is to keep up with strength training and stretching. Muscles help to strenghten joints and surrounding tissues.

Sep 2005
    Another suggestion to help with the prevention of injuries is to keep up with strength training and stretching. Muscles help to strenghten joints and surrounding tissues.
    a mojor job of muscles is to actually cushion and suport bones on harsh impacts. so the more the better. and believe me i have alot and need it often

Apr 2005
    So with any pressure suit, mainly the 06 rockgardn flak jacket is there any rib protection, padding? I ate it after this jump and the a rock with my ribs. And Ive been think about it for two reasons, more protection is nice, plus my elbow guards have a bad habit of sliding down. Thanks.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by RobsterCraw
    Dianese is pretty much the best but rockgrdn is affordable, it can get hot in a rockgrdn but the comfort is unprecedented. They should make them white though. cause they get hot. I only had one real complaint about mine and that was that the shirt was too short so the kidney belt would be uncomfortable without a shirt underneath, last I checked, they fixed that.
    Dianese copy...Azonic Z-6....very good stuff
    http://www.azonicusa.com/catalog/pop...ID=162&image=0
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Members who have read this thread: 0