biking shoes- Mtbr.com

Thread: biking shoes

mtbr member

biking shoes

What should I be looking for for XC riding? Also, please answer this real n00b question: foot unattached, or clipped in on the trails? I assume if its a clip you want to be able to release quickly?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    even though this topic has been discussed a thousand times already ill give my input. i prefer to be clipped in. if your a newb id suggest getting a pair of shimano 540 spd pedals and whatever clipless shoes that fit you comfortably...dont worry about getting anything high end, you probably wont appreciate it till you get comfortable being clipped in first.

most pedals will have a tension screw, so leave it pretty much as loose as possible...and believe it or not, it is very easy to release as quickly as you need to..ive never had a spill yet that i havent been unable to clip out of.

mtbr member
    I also vote for clipless but make sure you practice first if you go that route.

mtbr member
    Get comfortable on your bike before going clipless. I went straight into riding clipless, and now I ride flats. I personally feel much safer knowing that I dont have to release my feet to get off my bike. Eventually it becomes second nature to unclip, but I still felt uneasy doing difficult parts of the trail clipped in. Its a matter of opinion, and what you think if best for yourself.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I own a bike shop i sell sidi, diadora, have sold carnac, nike, shimano, if i were you id try specialized shoe i sell 10 to 1 because they fit most people best.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I crashed a couple times due to not clipping out in time. It was more embarrassing then anything. I came to a stop and then in slow motion tipped over. Now I feel weird pedaling without them. I've changed my pedaling style and pull up on the pedals now instead of just pushing down and without my clipless pedals, you really can't do that.

local trails rider
    I think...

Learn some bike handling on flat pedals first.
    Then get the clipless stuff. Make sure to get shoes that fit you.
    Practice clipping in and out in some place where falling does not hurt.

Ride clipless the rest of your life (or not, if you don't like it).

mtbr member
    Go clipless. Also, there are those pedals that are flat on one side and have a clip on the other, or some variation of that system.

When buying shoes, get something half ways decent to start out with. You won't be sorry.
    Feel free to check out my personal website, Greg Heil.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    I think...

Learn some bike handling on flat pedals first.
    Then get the clipless stuff. Make sure to get shoes that fit you.
    Practice clipping in and out in some place where falling does not hurt.

Ride clipless the rest of your life (or not, if you don't like it).
    This makes sense to me.

For flat pedals the consensus is getting skate shoes like Airwalks or Vans? Am I just looking for sticky flat shoes, like a court shoe?

(And sorry if this has been asked a hundred times. I have been doing back reading, but the question of shoes seems to be taken as a given)

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilirubin
    This makes sense to me.

For flat pedals the consensus is getting skate shoes like Airwalks or Vans? Am I just looking for sticky flat shoes, like a court shoe?

(And sorry if this has been asked a hundred times. I have been doing back reading, but the question of shoes seems to be taken as a given)

Skate shoes with a nice stiff sole work nicely .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilirubin
    This makes sense to me.

If you want to start on flats and then go clipless you can save yourself some money and buy a shoe that supports both. Shoes like the Shimano MT41 MTB Shoe, Shimano MT32L MTB Shoe, or Sette Enduro.

Reviews for 2 of them

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/mtb-apparel-...45_144crx.aspx

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/mtb-apparel-...59_144crx.aspx
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    I have a pair of Shimano MT 41's and find their performance on flat pedals to be lacking . IMHO you would be much better off with 5 10's or Vans , your shins will thank you .

local trails rider
    "Proper" flat pedals have some nasty pins for traction. Their traction on your shins can be spectacular too

For cycling, stiff soles are good. Some tacky rubber on the bottom helps you stay on flat pedals.

mtbr member
    The stiffer the sole the better. What you are doing by using a stiff soled shoe is basically turning your whole foot into a big platform pedal which allows you to transfer much more power to the crank.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have a pair of 5.10's and love them! they have a nice flat sticky sole

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    if you're going clipless expect to fall so I suggest get an elbow pads. i also recently switched to clipless and i don't think i'll ever go back to flats. it makes a huge difference on me climbing.
    2000 something DB Sorrento
    2010 Motobecane 29Pro SL

Members who have read this thread: 0