Biking Shoe Recommendation Needed Please- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Biking Shoe Recommendation Needed Please

Hi I normally wear a 13 Wide, and all the reviews I am finding on Amazon are saying they are narrow.

Any recommendations on a shoe with a somewhat wide toebox?

I don't know if I want clip ons or just a regular Off-Road style shoe.

Thanks in advance

Scott

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    In case anybody searches the same question.. it looks like Shimano XC50N are the best for wide feet. A lot of people are complaining that they are too narrow. One thing is that these are listed as all weather shoes, so some are complaining of the lack of ventilation.

I think I'm going to give these a shot. I'll post here if I do.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I like a wide toe box as well and I have a pair of specialized Tahoe that fit me comfortably.

5.10's look to me like they'd have a wide toe box; however, I have never tried them on.

mtbr member

Biking Shoe Recommendation Needed Please

I have wide feet too and i wear 510 freeriders. It has plenty of room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I have very wide feet...I fit into the 5.10 Impacts with no issues whatsoever. Sweet shoe. Definitely worth the price.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Thanks guys. If these shimanos don't fit right I will look into the Tahoe and it looks like an overwhelming vote for 510's!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I was disconcerted recently by a New Balance salesman who told me that every model of shoe in their store was built on a different last - so the correct size in one model would not necessarily be the correct size in another model - all from the same manufacturer!

That is crazy - the point being that my recent experience with bike shoes has shown me that ordering online is a shot in the dark (since you mention Amazon). Best to try on in person - I found that Giro, Scott, Shimano, Specialized, Keen and Izumi all fit different and my normal US 10.5 was actually anything from a 43 to a 46, depending on the brand.

Mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I've bought my running shoes, hiking boots, work shoes, and virtually everything (packs, knives, guns, flashlights etc) on the internet. Thankfully if something doesn't fit you can usually send it back for free .

I've found that the time I save driving around town, and money not buying local retail has been well worth it. And amazon two day shipping can't be beaten. Half the time it would take me two days just to organize a trip across town!

I definitely agree that all shoe sizes are different for each brand... luckily the ups store is right on the way home from work lol.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I agree, I am on Amazon Prime too - I even get food from them. I just hate returns.
    I split coffee on the last pair of shoes I ordered - had them sitting next to the coffee table - so, I had to keep them - GRRRRRR!
    Mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    If these Shimano's fit.. am I going to need to buy new pedals? Bike has "Alloy 1pc. body and cage, w/ reflectors, 9/16"

Also, if I went with the freeriders or Teva Links would I need new pedals?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    YOu don't have to - many SPD shoes come with a rubber insert where the cleat goes - so you don't have to use the cleat if you dont what to.

Teva type shoes - no change for pedal - HOWEVER, note that Tevas run very small. I gave those away to a friend for her grandchildren.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I just ordered some Tevas just in case... thank you amazon lol

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    And thanks for the quick answer man. Had to google to see what spd was... but it makes much more sense now!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Hell I just went ahead and ordered some original free riders too. Thank you Zappos! I'll post results here with my standard pedals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Got the five ten free riders and the Shimano XC540 N's today. I gotta say both of them fit perfect. 13 wide feet and a 13 in Free Riders and a 48 in the Shimanos. Will get the Teva's tomorrow so I'm holding off judgement.

I will be picking my bike up tomorrow and going to ride this weekend, so I will get a chance to test all out. Keep in mind that I did not order the spd pedals though so I might have to test some out at the shop to get a feel for these shimanos... first impression is that they will rock though.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Went ahead and ordered the Shimano PD M540 pedals because of the rave reviews! I think it's safe to say I've caught the bug lol

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Nice - I have found that Shimano's fit closest to what I expect when I look for a shoe in my normal size. Teva's were the worst - made worse by the fact that I have unusually high insteps. Izumi's fit weird too - in terms of width - the sizes between 10 and 11 (for the model I tried) all seem to be the same length but different widths.

Look for my posts on the Shimano Click'r pedal system. I think they are great - do everything I want a clipless to do while being almost transparent in terms of dismount in emergency situations. Even some racers use them for commuting.

Mike