Bike Shoes/Foot Placement- Mtbr.com

Jun 2009

New question here. Bike Shoes/Foot Placement

I do apologize if this has been covered, did a few searches and didn't come up with much.

I've been riding for a few months now, enjoying it quite a bit. The only things that I have that I solely use for biking are the bike itself, my helmet, and a Camelback I got a few years ago as a gift.

I'm pretty low-tech, I just figure throw some shorts and sneakers on and hit the trails.

Yesterday I was on my 11th mile, with 3 more to go when my right foot hit a ninja stump. Needless to say I've broken my big toe on my right foot and shattered/destroyed my toenails. It probably doesn't help that they were 6 year old Newbalances, but I can't imagine newer sneakers being THAT much better.

So, that brings me to two questions.

1. Am I riding with my feet too far forward? My toes smashed or "stubbed" against a stump I didn't see, meaning I was probably standing pretty far forward on the petals with my toes hanging over. What is the proper foot placement?

2. Are "biking" shoes worth it, and do they all pretty much come in with heavy toe protection? Even if I'm going to try to correct my technique to ride farther back on the petals (assuming this is the correct technique, you tell me), without some hardcore toe protection I'll be too scared to ride until this foot heals. But if I have some solid toe protection I would probably be able to get out as early as this weekend...

In any event, any guidence would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by laelaus
    1. Am I riding with my feet too far forward? My toes smashed or "stubbed" against a stump I didn't see, meaning I was probably standing pretty far forward on the petals with my toes hanging over. What is the proper foot placement?
    The ball of your foot should be over the pedal spindle. In all likelihood, this means that you won't be able to count on the pedal for protecting your toes.
    2. Are "biking" shoes worth it, and do they all pretty much come in with heavy toe protection? Even if I'm going to try to correct my technique to ride farther back on the petals (assuming this is the correct technique, you tell me), without some hardcore toe protection I'll be too scared to ride until this foot heals. But if I have some solid toe protection I would probably be able to get out as early as this weekend...
    In my opinion, it is worth it to have a pair of cycling shoes. But, no, not all cycling shoes have good toe protection. Given your history of foot problems, you should look for a cycling shoe that has a good amount of toe protection. You should also make sure that you can attach cleats in case you ever decide to use clipless pedals.

Another option, should you decide that cycling shoes aren't for you, is to wear a pair of stout hiking shoes or boots.

Jun 2009
    I hopped back on, I guess my foot placement is fine then. The majority of my falls seem to involve stumps and hitting my pedals on them.

I guess I just got unlucky and my toe tried to get in the way this time.

Thanks for the info.

Members who have read this thread: 0