Bike or moto helmet?- Mtbr.com
    Glad to Be Alive
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

N* Bomber Crew
    This discussion has gone on for a long time, and this is how I break it down:

CPSC Certified (The Regular Bicycle Certified Helmets): I feel that these are sufficient enough for what I do. I love to Downhill, ranging from high speed open bombing on hills to short, steep and windy technical downhills also. I also like to DJ somewhat, hit stunts, and just flat out ride! I took a pretty decent digger with my old SixSixOne Full Comp and it worked its magic in protecting my head. I personally feel that at the amateur level, or just "recreational level" any CPSC full face will suit an aggresive rider sufficiently. What I mean by recreational is that you do it for fun, ride with friends and challenge yourself. Not flat out hauling every weekend at a DH race.

Dot and Snell: If I DH raced all the time, I would get one of these quickly. It becomes less recreational and more of a high speed saftey issue. At high speeds on a rocky, technical trail, having extra protection on your dome would be a good idea. The Dot and Snell helmets will I believe weigh more and have less venting, but are designed for gravity oriented mountain biking. If you downhill race a LOT, and feel at risk at higher speeds...you may feel safer with a Dot/Snell helmet on your head. Another application would be the absolute mega hucker (Take for example: ZachDank or WestCoastHucker) as these guys go huge and are at a higher risk than I'll proabobly ever see.

Once again, its going to be a judgement of your own riding style. Personall, I feel that CPSC is all I'll ever need (The standard bike helmet).
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

mtbr member

Bike or moto helmet?

What do you guys think? A friend if mine told me my D2 is not sufficient for long term use. He said I should get a moto helmet instead? He told me the D2's could be dangerous much faster than the moto helmet.

mtbr member
    I just read the thread below about helmets, debate away, i think it could help me make a better decision.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by doug987
    I just read the thread below about helmets, debate away, i think it could help me make a better decision.
    it just all depends on what you really want....

max protection get a Dot Moto helmet
    more ventilation....661 full bravo
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

BJ-

Jan 2004
    it isnt complicated in the slightest.

if you go huge on a regular basis and i mean that literally, 20-30' ft drops on a regular basis or race in the elite class and absoloutly pin it, then yes you have reason to get a Motie helmet. otherwise plain and simply you dont. i smashed the shiat out of a D2 at the beginning of last year and went straight back to my shop and got another one. pushy helmets are more than enough protection for 90% of riders out there, if not more. i like the light weight and fit of pushy helmets, so for the moment a pushy helmet is good enough for me.

mind you, when i fcuked mine up. i hit a tree at 40km/ph, with only my head taking the impact (never been stopped quicker in my life, haha). i walked away from it with my hemlet in 3 pieces (visor included), a nose fracture and a minor concussion. i finished my run with my helmet in my spare hand and then got driven to the local medical clinic.

sunday
    i don't see why you shouldn't run a moto helmet. bike full faces are only rated to about 20mph. moto helmets are rated around 40mph. the difference in strength between the two is unreal. my thor svr weigh in around three pounds for those of that think moto helmets are too heavy. why not spend a little extra cash and get something that is better? i crashed up at diablo over the summer, with a moto helmet, and i still suffered a pretty bad concussion. without the moto helmet, i really don't want to think about what would've happened. to me, it just isn't worth it to wear a helmet rated up to 20 mph when i'm hitting speeds 15 or 20 mph above that.

mtbr member
    After years with bike full face helmets I chose a MX helmet for this season for safety concerns and the ventialtion is nearly equal (compared between an Azonic AZX and a Fox Tracer). The weight is not an issue !
    Attached Images Attached Images

N* Bomber Crew
    Something that bugs me is that people think they're CPSC helmet "sucks" when it breaks if they have a huge crash....thats exactly what its supposed to do...

If you want to sacrifice less ventilation, extra weight, and certainly extra price, then get a moto helmet. But if you're a recreational rider with an occasional race, then CPSC will do all its magic for you.
    Northstar 2008 Riding Crew

ride hard take risks
    BJ has good basic words, ride hard & agressive MOTO, daily use MTB full or XC. Also should go try on helmets to find the one that fits best. I found alot of MTB full face fit tight & the motos feel more comfortable. As for the breaking of a helmet, if you check moto helmets they are generally soft across the chin bar, this area is designed to break if needed on a severe impact rather than send the load to your neck. A good thing to help prevent neck injury would be to wear a neck roll with the helmet.
    http://www.evs-sports.com/products/?prodCategory=4

Pro Crastinator
    i currently use an Azonic T-55 (and will be switching back to a moto soon). but for many years i wore an O'Neil moto helmet and after a few of the really gnarly crashes and headplants i've had, i am convinced that i would not still be riding bikes if it weren't for my moto helmet. it is far superior to any bike helmet for protection.......

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Read this all the way through if you care about your head.
    It applies to MX helmets as well. It explains the standards, and
    why an ultra stiff helmet is not the best idea.

http://motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/hatz/

I am just getting into freeride/stunts/downhill and I wanted a moto helmet.
    I looked at probably all the avaliable bike and moto helmets, and price is
    not a consideration - I looked at ultra-expensive, and ultra cheap. I bought
    one of these:

http://www.g-max.com/gmax/mch_01_01.html

It is very cool - polycarb shell(rember that stiffness issue)
    DOT and Snell rating
    Some venting
    Padded chin-bar
    Only about 3 pounds.

And if you are concerned about price, I got mine from MotoFrugals
    for $49.99 plus $8.00 shipping.

http://www.motofrugals.com/product.jsp?id=8046

At that price, if you need to, get a bike, AND a moto helmet.

Members who have read this thread: 0