Bike Chaimos "shorts" help 1st good pair which to go with- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Bike Chaimos "shorts" help 1st good pair which to go with

So I am buy my first really good pair of bike shorts and I have researched but am still stuck on what makes the shoes cost more then others. I am trying to decide if it is a name brand thing of the way they are designed and so forth. So with that side I do both mountain and road bike. I do longer distances on both. 30 to 50 miles daily. What makes Chamois better then others. As well do I get baggy or form fit. I would assume form fit and just ware a pair of shorts over the top if I am mt. biking but looking for some thoughts on what to go with. I am willing to spend the money but that last few rides with the shorts I have now my butt bones have been killing me! I dont want something too think and I do no want something too thin so I am stuck. I have been at stores but many do not carry much.

So here is what I am looking at buying.

*** Pearl Izumi not sure which model to go with

*** Specialized not sure which model to go with

*** Castelli not sure which model to go with

*** Gore Ware

***Louis Garneau

mtbr member
    for longer rides just wearing lycra shorts that have a good chamois is gonna make your ride a lot more tolerable. for offroad rides i still like to wear baggies paired with a good chamois liner short.

all the brands you listed make good shorts. i would just buy something thats 8 panels or more (usually the more panels the better the fit).

if you're interested i have a brand new pair of bellwether switchback baggies for sale, they are size mediums.

r29
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I picked up the Fox sergeant recently
    light comfy.

Sugoi gustov is nice too

mtbr member
    I have learned that the higher priced shorts are worth it. After years of riding cheaper shorts that fit weird and chamois that are nothing more than a thin cloth sewn in, I've finally seen the light. On the road bike it is even more important to have a nice plush chamois when home is another 25 miles away.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

I would agree this is why I am asking what to go with? I have the cheap cheap shorts and I think I would rather have form fitted then baggie! With that said what do you look for when buying a pair.

I have heard you can go too much padding so then it feels like your sitting on pancakes and then you can also go too thin. Also different companies sew their padding in differently so this is why I am stuck on which to go with. I do not want to spend 160 and then be upset about it.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I don't think you have to worry about the padding in shorts being too thick. The ones I have used are all about 1/2" thick. "Tri" shorts do have a thin pad though.

The pads come in different shapes and densities. It's one of those "which saddle is best" questions...answer...the one that works for you.

That being said, mid to upper end Pearl Izumi bibs are my go to "shorts", and since no one wants to see me in lycra, I normally wear baggies over them. Volar is decent. I have had cheap chamois liners that quickly become a wedgie.

mtbr member
    Try Performance Elite shorts...I picked up for $40 each..Like better than Izumi.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The best deal IMO is the Pearl Izumi liners, which you wear under shorts as underwear. The 3D chamois is multi level/density (all the NEW good chamois pads are this way) and way more comfortable than the stuff just 5 years ago. Colorado Cyclist has them for $19.95. My 33" waist fits a medium perfectly.
    Wear a short without ridges (most jeans) on the seams or you'll feel them.
    AeroTech shorts, advertised here, are also a pretty good deal but specials on Chainlove.com are too.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Anything with a PI pro pad is going to be comfortable.

I wear these under some cut off bdu's.

Pearl Izumi Pro

They are also my road cycling shorts. Worth every penny because I use the hell out of them and the pad is still firm.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I wear the PI In-R-Cool shorts, and really like them.

Tá mé ar meisce.
    Boure is always a good choice. Pretty sure it is owned by Ned Overend so they have the pedigree. I like mine. If you look in the Wade's world section you usually can find some really good deals. Oh, and made in USA if that matters to you.

Home Page - Bouré Bicycle Clothing
    To see what is right, and not to do it, is want of courage or of principle. -- Confucius
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come join me at the Swamp

mtbr member
    Picked up a pair of Zoic Ethers and I'm happy with them.Just enough padding to keep me comfortable.
    2011 Rockhopper Comp 29er
    2011 Myka HT Disc (wife)

mtbr member
    I own numerous name brand shorts and I would say the Endura are the best by far, they are expensive but are the well made, strong and have have a great 8 panel (clickfast)removable liner.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I have tried both Pearl Izumi and Specialized shorts in the past. Recently I was having some issues with butt numbness after about an hour of riding. I guess I should have known better and realized that shorts have a limited lifespan.

The solution: First I decided to give bib style shorts a try this go round. Let me tell you it is a night and day difference in overall comfort. No more stupid waistband digging into my gut, no more pulling them up or down to get the perfect fit of chamois to ass. I will never go back to regular shorts again. I wear them by themselves for XC and throw on a pair of board shorts if I'm going shuttling or doing some downhill.

Secondly, the newest pair of shorts I had were two years old. Getting a new pair with a new chamois made a huge improvement or actually a complete lack of ass numbness. I can easily ride 6 hours or more with no problems at all.

The bibs I bought were the Specialized Body Geometry Pro RBX. A little pricey but definitely worth it. Specialized's Body Geometry stuff is definitely the bomb, it just works.

As a side note when I ride clipless I have been wearing a four year old pair of Specialized Body Geometry S-Works mountain shoes with carbon soles. The rubber tread on the bottom finally became so destroyed it was time to replace them. I had surgery several months ago to repair a torn medial meniscus in my left knee. They also ground off a bone spur on the medial condoyle of the distal femur. After six weeks off the bike I started riding again and have had problems with continous pain from the distal femur. I was just about ready to go back to the orthopod for a follow-up but after purchasing the latest version of the S-Works mountain shoe it was immediately apparent during the first ride with them that it was my old shoes causing my problems. Several rides into my new shoes and absolutely no knee pain. The shoes are lighter, have a double boa lace system and carbon sole. They also have the nifty feature of totally replaceable tread blocks after they get mangled by hike-a-bike rocky sections. The downer, after taxes shoes are almost 400.00. But I figure if I can get a few seasons out of them it all evens out. Not to mention that having carbon soles makes you feel like all the power your making is going right into the transmission. My conclusion: Specialized gear is the ****.

So I suggest you consider some Specialized shorts, I think you would be extremely happy with them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Ditto. I recently got back into mtb riding and thought "wow, I have some clothes and gear in the closet." Little did I know everything was used and abused 5 days a week for years. In addition to new-bike/new-riding butt pain the chamois (or pad) in my old Nemas were nothing more than 1-ply TP. Thankfully there was a brand new pair of Nemas in the closet.

One week in, butt feelin' fine, and now I'm remember how baggy shorts dig into the body. No, I'm not a fatty. Being a former roadie I remember the newfound 'aaaaaah' of good bibs, and how comfy they are. I, too, will be shopping for some but will not pay for Assos or the ilk. I used to be a PI fan but agree with you on the Speci Body Fit stuff. Have lightweight over-bib board shorts ready, just need the bibs. Thanks for the tip, will check out the Speci bibs soon.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemoe View Post
    I have tried both Pearl Izumi and Specialized shorts in the past. Recently I was having some issues with butt numbness after about an hour of riding. I guess I should have known better and realized that shorts have a limited lifespan.

The solution: First I decided to give bib style shorts a try this go round. Let me tell you it is a night and day difference in overall comfort. No more stupid waistband digging into my gut, no more pulling them up or down to get the perfect fit of chamois to ass. I will never go back to regular shorts again. I wear them by themselves for XC and throw on a pair of board shorts if I'm going shuttling or doing some downhill.

Secondly, the newest pair of shorts I had were two years old. Getting a new pair with a new chamois made a huge improvement or actually a complete lack of ass numbness. I can easily ride 6 hours or more with no problems at all.

The bibs I bought were the Specialized Body Geometry Pro RBX. A little pricey but definitely worth it. Specialized's Body Geometry stuff is definitely the bomb, it just works.

As a side note when I ride clipless I have been wearing a four year old pair of Specialized Body Geometry S-Works mountain shoes with carbon soles. The rubber tread on the bottom finally became so destroyed it was time to replace them. I had surgery several months ago to repair a torn medial meniscus in my left knee. They also ground off a bone spur on the medial condoyle of the distal femur. After six weeks off the bike I started riding again and have had problems with continous pain from the distal femur. I was just about ready to go back to the orthopod for a follow-up but after purchasing the latest version of the S-Works mountain shoe it was immediately apparent during the first ride with them that it was my old shoes causing my problems. Several rides into my new shoes and absolutely no knee pain. The shoes are lighter, have a double boa lace system and carbon sole. They also have the nifty feature of totally replaceable tread blocks after they get mangled by hike-a-bike rocky sections. The downer, after taxes shoes are almost 400.00. But I figure if I can get a few seasons out of them it all evens out. Not to mention that having carbon soles makes you feel like all the power your making is going right into the transmission. My conclusion: Specialized gear is the ****.

So I suggest you consider some Specialized shorts, I think you would be extremely happy with them.

Single Track Mind
    Quote Originally Posted by r29 View Post
    I picked up the Fox sergeant recently
    light comfy.
    +1 on the Sergeant. Really happy with them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I picked up a pair of baggies + liner with chamois smartwool shorts and they are fantastic (as everything smartwool is in my opinion). The benefits to wool over synthetic is massive as well. Antimicrobial, moisture wicking... etc.

mtbr member
    I went on the recomendation on a lot of buddies who ride both road and mountain and got the Pearl Izumi Quest short. Even got free shipping on amazon to make them in my price range

AMAZON Pearl Izumi Shorts

I really like them so far. I even wear them under other shorts with pockets.