Big Helmet Problem- Mtbr.com

Jul 2004

Big Helmet Problem

Hi, I scanned the other threads and don't think that I saw this addressed anywhere, but it's causing me immense grief, so maybe there's someone out there who can help me.

Whenever I try to put a helmet on so that it fits properly (i.e. doesn't wobble around on my head, appropriately placed, as per the instruction manual, etc.), the chin strap digs into my throat slightly. Occasionally I'll gag and puke a little because of this. It makes riding less pleasurable.

The obvious solution would be to loosen the chin strap. However, when I do that, the helmet is no longer tightly affixed to my head and therefore not worth wearing.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. Is there anyone else out there who has experienced something similar?

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

If the chin stap has to be that tight....

Quote Originally Posted by supaslush
    Hi, I scanned the other threads and don't think that I saw this addressed anywhere, but it's causing me immense grief, so maybe there's someone out there who can help me.

Whenever I try to put a helmet on so that it fits properly (i.e. doesn't wobble around on my head, appropriately placed, as per the instruction manual, etc.), the chin strap digs into my throat slightly. Occasionally I'll gag and puke a little because of this. It makes riding less pleasurable.

The obvious solution would be to loosen the chin strap. However, when I do that, the helmet is no longer tightly affixed to my head and therefore not worth wearing.

I'm at a loss as to what to do. Is there anyone else out there who has experienced something similar?
    Then the helmet doesn't fit properly! You either need to fiddle with it or you need to get a smaller helmet. Most modern helmet have a retention system of some sort in the back that is adjustable for fit. This keeps the helmet snug on your head. The chin strap is there to simply keep the helmet on your head during a crash or during rough riding. There is no reason that a chin strap should need to be that tight if the helmet fits you properly. You don't give the make and model of the helmet that you are currently using so it is tough to give a more specific recomendation. But from what you describe I would say that the helmet that you are currently using is likely too big. Or at the very least inproperly fit.

Good Dirt

Reformed car junkie
    Sep 2004

i agree

i agree it sounds like your helmet dosnt fit right. I have a lower end bell(would have got a nicer one but it was an unxpected purchase as a tree bit my other heltmet and took a big old chuck out of it). Anyway, i think pretty much all helmets have a retention device, my chin strap donst really do jack when i ride. I realize this is a bad habit but my helmet donst move AT ALL, even during my stupid no speed cant get my foot uncliped falls. I actually road like 15 mins last week without it buckeled, only reason i realzed it cause I turned my head the the strap hit me in the face.
    Deffentally sounds like you need a new helmet.

Jul 2004
    Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it.

mtbr member
    The other posters may be right that it is too big, but one other thing to check...make sure you have it situated right on your head--not too far back or too far forward. I find sometimes I let mine sit a little wrong (maybe only a 1/4 inch off) and the chin strap ends up feeling like it is choking me...this usually means I have it pulled down too far in the front, so the strap is too far back on my chin. Other times, I will have it too far back and the chin strap is barely on my chin. My helmet has a great ratchet system to hold it on, so if the chin strap feels wrong, I just loosen the ratchet, readjust and tighten, then the chin strap is hardly noticable. I have a Giro Animas (I think--I know it is Giro, anyway).

Glad to Be Alive
    need a better fitting helmet
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days