Big feet, need shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Big feet, need shoes

Work and family obligations have kept me off the bike for the most of the last year, but now I'm trying to get back into the swing of things, and I'm in desperate need of some good shoes. My old Lake's are worn out, and apparently my feet have gotten wider since I last rode, because my small toes are now painfully cramped.

I normally wear a size US15 (EU50), standard width. I measured my foot per the instructions on Lake's website (trace outline, measure, etc.) the only exception being that it's them morning, and they say to measure at the end of the day because feet swell. So, keeping that in mind- my foot is 310mm long, 120mm wide. I'll re-trace and measure again tonight and see if there is any difference, and if so, how much.

My frustration lies in there being very few cycling shoe manufacturers that make shoes in my size. So far, I've found Lake, some Shimano shoes, and Sidi. I'd love a pair of Sidi Dominators, but the come in narrow, regular, and wide- and I'd love to try them all on to see what's the best fit, but I have no idea where I could go that would even have those in stock. If I spend that much money on shoes, I really would like them to be the best fit possible. If I get some lower end shoes, then I'd be more willing to tolerate a less than optimal fit.

So, if anyone has any idea of other brands that make shoes in big sizes, or ideas on how I could find some big shoes to try on, that would be great. I feel awkward to buy a bunch of shoes with the intent to just try them for size and return them. My boss knows a guy who knows a guy at Sidi that might be able to get me a deal on a pair of shoes, but it's one of those, be happy with you got, no returns kind of deal.

Thanks,
    BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

mtbr member
    I also have size 15 wide feet. I've always gone with Sidi, although they tend to be on the narrow side. My most recent shoe replacement was a pair of Sidi Giau mega width, which are very comfortable with my wide feet. I believe the Dominator also comes in mega width too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I have big wide feet. I bought some Keen Springwater shoes from REI. They are awesomely comfortable and work really well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonshine Willie View Post
    I have big wide feet. I bought some Keen Springwater shoes from REI. They are awesomely comfortable and work really well.
    Oh, and yea, they are kinda ugly....

Comfortable as hell though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I wear a 14 and recently bought some Specialized shoes in a 48, don't know the model but retail was about $130. They fit me well but aren't very wide. They fit and appear to be built better than my Shimanos that fell apart. Worth checking out if you have a Specialized dealer nearby.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So...

Why not just find a good regular shoe, and get some sort of a pedal like an MKS, and ride 'free'? You could use something like a power grip if you feel you need it...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LNBright View Post
    So...

Why not just find a good regular shoe, and get some sort of a pedal like an MKS, and ride 'free'? You could use something like a power grip if you feel you need it...
    I shudder at the thought! How would I look riding a performance XC bike (albeit at a pretty slow pace) decked out w/ carbon bits, x.o and xtr parts, etc., with flat pedals! The bike club guys would laugh at me all the way home!!!

Sarcasm aside, I really do like riding clipped in, with, er, uh, clipless pedals (oxymoron anyone?)...I'm tempted by "trekking" cycling shoes, but really do like lighter weight performance oriented shoes,.

I wasn't aware of the Sidi Giau's. I didn't see them on their website (still don't). I'll have to look into those.

Thanks,
    BM
    "I've come to believe that common sense is not that common" - Matt Timmerman

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I too wear a 15 and have a pair of the SIDI shoes, expensive, but I've had them since 2002. I'm about do for a new pair.