Better understnding of pedals & shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Better understnding of pedals & shoes

Well I've been riding for a couple of weeks and I'm have constant foot slippage during trail riding. I look at some shoes and pedals and want to know what's a decent brand. I understand that clip shoes attach to the pedal. Is this safe? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    yep they are as safe as you make them... much safer then the old style toe clip pedals. As for shoes look for something with a stiff rigid sole, try on lots of shoes and lots of different styles to see which fit you better. As for pedals i have used shimano and Crank Bro's and currently using Crank Bro's and i like them a lot, a little better then the shimano although i will probably be in the minority on that.

Bottom line try out as much as you can and give yourself lots of practice time in a safe area when you do get them
    Current Rides:
    Trek Stache

mtbr member
    I ride Wellgo Wam-B25 Pedal, combined with the Sette Enduro Shoe. Works out pretty well. Grippy pedal, grippy shoe, no slipping.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned
    Clipless is great and entirely safe once you get used to it . Shimano or Crank Bros. are probably the most popular choises . Shimano's have adjustable release tension if that makes any difference . I wouldnt skimp on shoes , some low end shoes are not that well made or can have uncomfortable seams that can rub you the wrong way . Shop around and try a bunch of them on for size and comfort . The stiff soles of a good mtb shoe really help put the power down and clipless allows you to pull the pedals as well as push , really can change the way you ride . Good luck .

My other ride is your mom
    +1 on the above....never skimp on shoes, period. I'll put the obligatory plug in for those of us with glass knees.....Time makes a great pedal as well with plenty of float to help the knees out(as does Crank Bros). The difference being Time seems to be more sturdy if you're dealing with a rocky environment....

mtbr member
    I was killing some time at Performance Bike and found a pair of Shimano MT21's for $50.00. I didn't think I would like them but they were so comfortable I had to get them. I found them in smaller sizes at Nashbar for $29. It might be worth a look. I pair them with Crank Bros and they work well.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    i guess ill give my 2 cents on the clipless topic.

In my opinion, the only way to ride. Since your new to clipless id suggest trying the shimano spd pedals. They are very easy to get into, and easy to get out of. Once you get more comfortable you can adjust the tension to help keep your feet attached. The m540's are great pedals at a good price point. In fact, id recommend these over the xt or xtr pedals simply because the only thing you really gain in the higher models is a unnoticeable weight saving. Nothing that can justify the hike in price.

As far as shoes go, you dont need to spend a whole lot to get a quality pair. Ive been using the shimano mt41's with zero issues for about 2 years now. They are about 40 bucks or less if ordered online. If you are gonna order online make sure you are absolutely positive on your sizing and what make/model shoe fits you best. All the different companies will fit differently and dealing with returns and exchanges will take away from your saddle time.

My next pedal/shoe combination is gonna be the crank brothers eggbeater ti pedals and specialized bg pro shoes. I am only going this route because i have turned into a weight weenie and my skill level is now to a point where i will appreciate the difference in performance. For beginners i feel SPD is the way to go, hands down.

Riding or Drumming
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm
    If you are gonna order online make sure you are absolutely positive on your sizing and what make/model shoe fits you best. All the different companies will fit differently and dealing with returns and exchanges will take away from your saddle time
    ALL shoes fit differently. Find a LBS with a few brands and try them all on. I never buy shoes online UNLESS I'm replacing an exact model with the same. Most all shoes use the SPD cleat mounting standard so you can choose just about any pedal brand.

FWIW, I like Time pedals with fewer moving parts to get fouled from dirt/mud.
    Tallboy
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Salsa Mukluk
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Clipless is safe for trail riding. Great advice above on shoes and pedals.

A few comment on getting started.

Clipless pedals provide awesome grip for the shoe as long as you are clicked in. Trying to ride while not clicked in isn't so great. There is about zero grip when you put the shoe on the pedal without clicking in. Some riders try to ride technical sections just standing on the pedal. That is a bad idea as they gave up the grip and hence a main connection to the bike. As a result they wobble through the section without confidence. From day one you should use a 'click-in and ride' or 'click-out and walk' rule.

To apply the rule above you have to be able to get in and out of the pedal fast. Two ways to do that and both complement each other. First, use adjustable pedals (such as SPD) and begin with a very low tension. That way you can even rip the shoe off the pedal without the proper disengagement move. Second, practice. Spend some time doing click-in, click-out maneuvers.

In my experience most spills riding clipless happen coming to a stop to take a break. Sounds funny. But the issue usually is that the disengagement move isn't second nature, yet and getting too slow the rider panics... (plus pedal tension too high). I've never seen a rider crash in a technical descend due to being clicked-in. Crashes happen, regardless of pedals used. I've seen (and experienced) crashes on technical climbs. But I'd also say I can climb sections clippless where I stand no chance on a platform pedal.

Which is my last point. Plattform pedals have their place. High risk maneuvers as performed by Free Riders and in Trials require plattform pedals. And if you find a descend way to intimmidating using BMX style (wide and pointy pins) can help to find the line. Once you have the line and shed the fear - clippless will work fine, too.

For the above reasons I actually ride both plattform and clippless. Plattform for playing on highly technical descends and stunts, clippless for trail riding. And as the boundaries are floating (hey many trails have 'features') I do change pedals depending on the plans of the day or weekend.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

Members who have read this thread: 0