Best Year-round SPD shoe for the $?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: progfan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    249

    Best Year-round SPD shoe for the $?

    Hello,

    I have a pair of entry level mesh shoes that get the job done, for the most part, but would like something that would work for cooler temperatures. I don't ride in snow, so I don't need a boot, but just a better all-purpose shoe that won't totally break the bank. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    David

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    179
    Mavic Alpine XL

    Very good all rounder, good wide outsole(compared to a XC shoe) also quite stiff, neoprene "neck" keeps most of the loam out from the shoes, nice quick tightening system + strap.

    Might not work so good if you have wide foot, the insole seems to be quite narrow...

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    18
    +1 for Mavic Alpine XL

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    37
    For my area I'm loving the five ten hellcats.

  5. #5
    Dab-O-Matic
    Reputation: Simplemind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Verttii View Post
    Mavic Alpine XL

    Very good all rounder, good wide outsole(compared to a XC shoe) also quite stiff, neoprene "neck" keeps most of the loam out from the shoes, nice quick tightening system + strap.

    Might not work so good if you have wide foot, the insole seems to be quite narrow...
    How is the sizing compared to other MTB shoes?

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    179
    for what I can directly compare, Specialized BG comp of size 39 is a perfect fit for my foot, both size(length), shape and width of insole. The Alpine XL size 40 is about 0.5cm longer but insole is narrower, where Specializeds "toe box" shape is more "blunt" or square, the Mavic is more pointy, "italian style". So if your foot has the "toe area" wide, you are going to have problems...

    My terminology might not be quite so correct, but I hope that my poin is undestood...

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    680

  8. #8
    Dab-O-Matic
    Reputation: Simplemind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Verttii View Post

    My terminology might not be quite so correct, but I hope that my poin is undestood...
    Yes it is, thanks!

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: in the trees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    2,036
    Mavic Alpine XL - and they look to be even better for 2013!

  10. #10
    Dab-O-Matic
    Reputation: Simplemind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    1,008
    Quote Originally Posted by in the trees View Post
    Mavic Alpine XL - and they look to be even better for 2013!
    Just can't find 'em the US of A....yet!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    75
    Quote Originally Posted by progfan1 View Post
    Hello,

    I have a pair of entry level mesh shoes that get the job done, for the most part, but would like something that would work for cooler temperatures. I don't ride in snow, so I don't need a boot, but just a better all-purpose shoe that won't totally break the bank. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    David
    Unless you live where it's same temperature year-round, you probably won't find year-round shoes. I wear adidas trail shoes, which are great for 3 seasons (spring, summer, and fall). As it gets colder I just wear warmer socks.

    But when it gets really cold, I wear boots. Lots of advantages - windproof, waterproof, and warm.

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.