Best sub-$50 SPD shoes??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Best sub-$50 SPD shoes??

Hey guys,

I ride an Ibex Alpine, but just recently got the itch to go clipless.

I already have the pedals at home, Shimano 520's but need some good advice on the shoes.

I think I really want to buy the Specialized sports for the BG body geometry.
    Does this really make a difference? They are about $90 so out of my budget right now.

I was looking for something sub-$50 like the Sette Element.

Hope to hear some good advice on what to go with! Oh and it would be a plus if they vent well for the Florida summer!

TIA

mtbr member
    bump, anyone?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...rett-Shoes.htm

I just picked up a pair of those and they work just fine for me. A hair on the big side though.

Edit: They work great with my 520s too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    SixSixOne has a couple that may work for you. Some local shops carry them plus many of your favorite online shops have them in stock as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'll echo the Adidas Minretts. I have no complaints with mine. I bought them when I wasn't sure whether I'd stick with clipless pedals. I may upgrade to something lighter when these wear out, but they have served me well so far.

I will say that they seem to run very small. I usually wear a size 11, but needed an 11.5 (a 12 would have probably been even better) in the Minretts.
    "There's right and there's right and never the twain shall meet" H.I. McDonnough

Jul 2007
    You get what you pay for in shoes...whether you go clipless or not, a good set of cycling-specific shoes will help you in yoru riding, whether you keep the clipless or not. The sole will be stiffer, which will help power transmission and make for better riding, clipped in or not. So if you see a pair of shoes that you like that might be stretching the budget a little bit, I say splurge on them. Your comfort is of prime importance, so don't scrimp on it.

To lower/eliminate the cost to you, try looking for a clearance or cloueout deal online for shoes. You can sometimes find some really high end shoes for a steal. Trying them on can be difficult, but you can always buy a couple different sizes and return what doesn't fit.

Good luck mate,

Tim

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by elsito99
    Hey guys,

I ride an Ibex Alpine, but just recently got the itch to go clipless.

I already have the pedals at home, Shimano 520's but need some good advice on the shoes.

I think I really want to buy the Specialized sports for the BG body geometry.
    Does this really make a difference? They are about $90 so out of my budget right now.

I was looking for something sub-$50 like the Sette Element.

Hope to hear some good advice on what to go with! Oh and it would be a plus if they vent well for the Florida summer!

TIA
    Good luck!! If you find a sub $50 pair of bike shoes let the rest f us know! The least expansive pair of SPD mountain bike shoes I have ever see (not on sale ) were Lake MX 201s that I bought for $85 I've yet to see a main stream pair of shoes for less than that

Apr 2007
    I got some Pearl Izumie, Vaggabonds for $65 The fit awsome! Much better than my $49 shimanos

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I know they are beyond your 50$ range but the Keen Commuter sandles are awesome.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the response guys.

Actually there seem to be sub $50 shoes that fit and work well according to people on this site.

The adidas look interesting and are on sale right now. The odd thing is they look like normal shoes so they give the impression they flex a lot. Looks like it is just an illusion.

The Sette Element have good reviews here and come around $52 with shipping.

I think I am between those Adidas and the Sette's.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Get the sette shoes you won't be disappointed.
    If you're not falling, then you're not riding fast enough!
    Specialized Epic Expert Evo
    Ibex Asta Pro SE & Giant XTC-2

mtbr member
    I think I am going with the Sette.

The adidas look very nice but they seem too recreational, ie. going to the store, mall, etc.

I need shoes for the trail only so the Sette fit the bill.

I may purchase the adidas in the future to go to the store.

thanks for the input.

PMBA Beer Guy
    I got a set of Shimano MT-31's for $45. Great shoe.
    Board Member Philadelphia Mountain Biking Association (http://www.phillymtb.com)

Members who have read this thread: 0