Best SPD compatible shoes for winter riding- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Best SPD compatible shoes for winter riding

Hi,
    Im trying to get back into winter riding after a long hiatus and have noticed that my feet often get cold/numb under even moderately cool temps in the low 50's wearing any of my normal shoes. Also, they all are fairly low. Any good SPD compatible boots that would be suitable for winters in NY? Riding is a combination of road and trail and i hope to get out in the snow a bit so water resistant is a plus

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    definitely the Northwave Fahrenheit GTX arctic boots !

I own them for one year now. They are really waterproof, warm and the only spd shoes that keep my feet warm during 3 hours of pedaling under zero celsius.

a friend of mine owns the Specialized Defroster and he has a very positive review about them
    Chistole Audax Club - "Unity, Pride and Charcuterie"

Happy Trails
    Specialized Defrosters changed my life back in Maryland. I've ridden happy when my water bottle froze solid. Now in Arizona.... Not so much of an issue anymore! .

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks, i will check out both!

RLK
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I've been using Sidi Diablos for a few seasons. They're not as insulated as some foul-weather cycling boots, but that allows me to wear them when temps are more moderate and it's rainy. Then again, our winters aren't quite as brutal as I imagine NY's can be. There's enough room in my boots for a second pair of socks (one size bigger than normal) if I need extra insulation. Also, EMS X-static sock liners have made the biggest difference in warmth for me, regardless of activity or footwear.

mtbr member
    I have been really happy with my Louis Garneau winter shoes the past few years. OF course, winter around here is usually pretty tame.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I use two pairs of winter spd shoes :
    - Northwave Arctic Fahrenheit GTX Boots which are warm, windproof and waterproof for cold and rainy days during the winter

- Tex Winter Luck which are only waterproof for rainy days in autumn and springs. The core is in gore-tex so they are very breathable

For my daily commute, when the weather can change during the day, I always have a pair ok kayak socks in my backpack
    Chistole Audax Club - "Unity, Pride and Charcuterie"

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Shimano SH-MW81
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0