Best shoes you remember?- Mtbr.com

May 2004

Best shoes you remember?

My favorite shoes that I can recall are the Nike Poohbah's from about 10-11 years ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images

those are Rollercams...
    Puma Touring
    Rivat Cyclocross
    Sidi Cross
    Specialized 3800

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Busted 3 Pair of Those

...in 2 yrs. I liked them but the soles kept snapping, and Nike kept replacing them so....

My favourites are/were the Time Team shoes I have fron the same era (purchased in 1995) and some Sidi something or others also from the mid 90's.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    The grey and neon yellow diadora's from about seven or 8 years ago. Ratchet and velcro closures, toe spikes, not too stiff, but stiff enough for road riding.

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WTB-rider
    Puma Touring
    Rivat Cyclocross
    Sidi Cross
    Specialized 3800
    Ditto. Can't remember the 3800, though - were those the road-like mtn shoes? I also like the Specialized Dirt Dogs.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by steel is real
    My favorite shoes that I can recall are the Nike Poohbah's from about 10-11 years ago.

Haha, I have a pair of those that are almost brand new. $5 eBay specials.

They hurt my feet a bit though...perhaps they need to be broken in more.

I always like the first gen Shimano mtb shoes with the two velcro straps. Timeless!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

He be a moose too.
    The old blue & yellow Sidi Dominators, circa first generation. My shoes have 10's of K's miles on them just gave up the ghost yesterday. Gave in and bought a new pair of dominators and rode them for five minutes last night for the first time. Getting ready tonight for their first real ride. I really, really liked the old pair.

Nope, don't like, don't like 'em at all. I imagine they will break in and I'll get used to them because I'm so used to my older pair. The other thing is that it is odd that in my peripheral vision I see a black pair of shoes spinning around when I expect to see blue & yellow. Don't like, don't like 'em at all, at least yet.

'Guin

mtbr member

anyone remember

nike velos pre- spd. great with toe clips.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    I always like the first gen Shimano mtb shoes with the two velcro straps.

i have a pair i bought in 89 that i still use, though the straps are unraveling. interestingly they only got used for clipless about a 1.5 years ago.

bonked
    My absolute faves are road shoes AXO made about 20 years ago. I own two pair still. Kangaroo leather, laced up the side of the arch instead of over the top, had a velcro flap over the laces. Yeah, those shoes rock.

Favorite mtn bike shoes were my first pair that I bought in 88, Specialized Dirt Dogs. The were teh gray ones with the blue velcro strap at the ankle and the football cleat looking heals. I wore those things every day as walking around shoes even. They were outstanding all around.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by holden
    i have a pair i bought in 89 that i still use, though the straps are unraveling. interestingly they only got used for clipless about a 1.5 years ago.

If I find a pair in good shape in my size, I'd rock those again in a hearbeat.

Way to upgrade to clipless!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

Neo-Retro Forever
    Oct 2004
    By far, the Shimano m-200's...black with purple and orange...smalled like cat pee after a couple weeks, but fit awesome, and worked amazing...not to mention being covered by one of the best warrantees in the biz...

rb

VRC Hound
    I liked the first gen, Deore level Shimano shoes with the single velcro straps. I was a clips and straps guy till this year and those were the best shoes for it.

mtbr member
    I've got two pairs of Carnac Dunes which I've been using on and off for 12 years. Just keep going and going...

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I have a pair of red Answer Accelerator that I love... they are about 8-9 years old

mtbr member
    Man, you guys were high-tech. Until I finally gave in to clipless (and Diadora Chili's) it was always Vans canvas high-tops or Converse All-Stars. I still remember having the XT platform pedal grooves in the bottom of my shoes
    My Wanted List:

1. '87 Shogun Prairie Breaker Team Issue (small)

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by richieb
    By far, the Shimano m-200's...black with purple and orange...smalled like cat pee after a couple weeks, but fit awesome, and worked amazing...not to mention being covered by one of the best warrantees in the biz...

rb
    LOL - I thought that was just my pair of shoes! Yes, those shoes fit my feet the absolute best of any shoes I've had. And they did smell like cat pee too. I thought that was because of a river crossing and some funky water. I finally threw mine away last year becuase the heel cups were busted up.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I agree. Luckily, my blue/green Ds are still going strong, though I imagine its a matter of time before the plastic ratchet straps split.

What I dont like about the new ones is the plastic strap piece that goes over the instep. (The old ones had a nice, soft, conforming piece of lorica). After a few hours, discomfort usually sets in..

I've attached a thin layer of foam underneath the plastic, which helps, but for longer rides, I always reach for the Old Faithfuls first.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

purple yellow and grey vittorias

these lasted as long as my dominators have (i.e., 5 years). i was really bummed when the whole clipless revolution started because i had to stop wearing them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinguwin
    The old blue & yellow Sidi Dominators, circa first generation. My shoes have 10's of K's miles on them just gave up the ghost yesterday. Gave in and bought a new pair of dominators and rode them for five minutes last night for the first time. Getting ready tonight for their first real ride. I really, really liked the old pair.

Nope, don't like, don't like 'em at all. I imagine they will break in and I'll get used to them because I'm so used to my older pair. The other thing is that it is odd that in my peripheral vision I see a black pair of shoes spinning around when I expect to see blue & yellow. Don't like, don't like 'em at all, at least yet.

'Guin
    Mine made it from '93 to last summer. I loved my Dom 2s. I went straight for a new set of Sidis. I didn't have the break in problem though. My old ones were really stretched out so the new ones fit nicely right off the bat which is how I remembered my first pair when they were new. I did go for the dragons so they have the different latching mechanism than the Doms.

My least favorite shoes were the brown and green Specialized Ground Controls. I ended up having the plate that the cleats bolted to rip out on a bunnyhop and put me into a curb at speed. Bent rim and lots of missing skin. I thought they sucked before that happened due to discomfort.

those are Rollercams...
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    Ditto. Can't remember the 3800, though - were those the road-like mtn shoes? I also like the Specialized Dirt Dogs.
    The 3800's were the predecessor to the Dirt Dogs, gray with blue velcro strap and heel cleats like a turf shoe. The road-like black and pink jobs were the 3850's, they came with a 2 piece cleat so you could run a full cleat or half cleat as well as heel spikes. They were also LOOK compatable(pre SPD days), a very important feature if you ran Grafton pedals.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    SH-M100. got around to taking a pic of mine. pretty good shape considering their 17+ years old. i purchased them in 89 (?) at R+E Cycles in Seattle. funny. nfs

bonked
    Quote Originally Posted by WTB-rider
    The 3800's were the predecessor to the Dirt Dogs, gray with blue velcro strap and heel cleats like a turf shoe. The road-like black and pink jobs were the 3850's, they came with a 2 piece cleat so you could run a full cleat or half cleat as well as heel spikes. They were also LOOK compatable(pre SPD days), a very important feature if you ran Grafton pedals.
    I thought the ones you call the 3800s were called Dirt Dogs. I loved those things. What are the shows you call Dirt Dogs?

I also still have a pair of the black and pink things, but don't love them as much.
    Yes I am!

Aug 2003

High Top Sidis

I have a pair of Sidis for originally made for downhilling,not the knee high motorcycle type boots,but the silver and blue ones. I think theyre called Aggressors.I bought them in '92.I have a reaaly good cobbler who changes the soles for me.I'm on the 4th set of soles.I cut up Vibram soles on a band saw to fit.He recently put an old pink! buckle mount from a really old pair of the Sidis that were yellow,green purple and pink(ugly unless really dirty).I can't get parts for these shoes any more,so I bought a newer similiar pair that are black on closeout!! I still keep using my old ones now and then.

Shamisen Appreciator
    Jan 2004
    I still have some Carnac Dunes that I bought in '94. I call them my frankenshoe since I've stitchec them up so many times and they have copious amounts of Shoe Goo keeping them together.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    the grey and black asics from the late 80s/early90s were the shizzle. The blue sidi cross shoes were nice as well.

bike weenie
    Vittoria magic circa 1991

slow
    NIKE NGUBA.

I got these at the same time I got my ONZA HO clipless pedals, because my Specialized Dirt Dogs weren't clipless compatible. I have upgraded three times and kept these as my spare shoes. Three times now, I have broken the upgrade shoes and gone back to these.

those are Rollercams...
    Quote Originally Posted by IF52
    I thought the ones you call the 3800s were called Dirt Dogs. I loved those things. What are the shows you call Dirt Dogs?

I also still have a pair of the black and pink things, but don't love them as much.
    The Dirt Dogs were essentially the same shoe with a few cosmetic changes. The gray was a lighter shade, trim was maroon and there was more nylon and less suede.

bonked
    What year are we talking about? The ones I am thinking about were from 87 to 88.
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by richieb

rb
    Those were my faves too. Although I think mine were black orange and blue for some reason. Glad to hear that mine werent the only ones that stunk like crazy. I finally let them go when the smell got too bad but I havent had a better fitting shoe since.

Members who have read this thread: 0