Best shoes for flat pedals?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Best shoes for flat pedals?

Are there better shoes for flat pedals than others? I've just been using some nike running shoes, thanks.

Apr 2008
    I know my Indoor soccer shoes suck.I had to use them once. I prefer my New Balance.

Oct 2007
    Try skate or hiking shoes, since the soles are stiffer.

Bicyclist
    Mar 2008
    Many skateboard shoes work great for MTN bicycling with platform or flat style bicycle pedals.
    I usually wear basketball shoes: Converse Chuck Taylor All Stars when using platform pedals.

I think shoe choice probably also has much to do with platform pedal features. traction pins, etc...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    use skateboarding shoes. they are stiffer and have a grippier sole. they are fairly inexpensive if you dont care about how they look either. they are flat footed inside and on the bottom of the sole as well. running shoes tend to have tread and arc your foot too much. it gets awkward when riding.

vans, DC, etnies, DVS to name a few.

mtbr member
    Check out the 5.10 impacts. They have pretty much the stickiest soles available. Turn any flat pedal into "almost" clipless

mtbr member
    Good hints here... Grippy, flat soles rule. If the sole is stiff, that helps pedalling. What shoe really works depends also on the pedal.

I personally run BMX style flat pedals and buy my FR/DH biking shoes at Wallmart. Inexpensive hikers do the trick for me. I go through one pair per summer. But at $30 or less that is Ok.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

Baton Rouge, LA
    Hikers or skateboard shoes work great. I rode trail running shoes last year, and my arches killed me. Ultimately though you should try to work up to SPD. That's where it's at!

Mar 2008
    The 5.10 Impacts are hands down the best shoes for a flat platform. The only complaint I've ever heard is that they grip the pedal too well. I bought them and love them, great grip, but not too much; they hold even when they get wet. If you don't want to drop the extra money, any skater shoe, like Vans, works well as well, but they won't last as long.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by StompinStu
    Hikers or skateboard shoes work great. I rode trail running shoes last year, and my arches killed me. Ultimately though you should try to work up to SPD. That's where it's at!
    Yeah I have some spd's but I wanna get better at biking and then start using clipless.

Dirt Deviant
    I wore some hiking shoes with my platforms one day and thought I lost some pins or something.......turned out that the aggressive treads of the hiking shoes SUCK for flats. I usually wear skate shoes and now will only wear skate or flat shoes....If I could get 5-10's or 661's in size 15 I would be wearing those.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by aLLboutLx
    Yeah I have some spd's but I wanna get better at biking and then start using clipless.
    Sounds like you may be implying that SPD and clipless are two different things, so just to be clear: SPD = Clipless

"SPD" is one of many clipless designs available. Sounds counterintuitive, but that's the way it is.

Clipless meaning they do not use the old school 'toe clips' and instead use a cleat on the bottom of the shoe as the attachment point.

These are "toe clips"
    Attached Images Attached Images

Apr 2008
    I have an old pair of Vans that work perfect with my Welgos

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffj
    Sounds like you may be implying that SPD and clipless are two different things, so just to be clear: SPD = Clipless

"SPD" is one of many clipless designs available. Sounds counterintuitive, but that's the way it is.

Clipless meaning they do not use the old school 'toe clips' and instead use a cleat on the bottom of the shoe as the attachment point.

These are "toe clips"

Oh, sorry about that, yeah I do know that they are both the same thing. I actually have clipless pedals that are spd but still nervous with them on, so I am going to wait until I get better at riding before I try them on the trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    I wore some hiking shoes with my platforms one day and thought I lost some pins or something.......turned out that the aggressive treads of the hiking shoes SUCK for flats. I usually wear skate shoes and now will only wear skate or flat shoes....If I could get 5-10's or 661's in size 15 I would be wearing those.
    Correct. Aggressive hikers won't work well. If you go for hikers you need to look at the soles. You want more the Sunday walkers. Low profile, soft sole. I guess we are all saying the same here anyway.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    i just rode with my wellgos and a a pair of etnies and they stuck better than im used to so i have to acctually pick up the foot to move around rater than sliding it around. So, sticks really good but i gotta get used to it.

kid on a bike
    Apr 2008
    take a pedal off your bike and take it to the shoe store with you. see what shoe tread patterns match up properly with the pegs on the pedals.

i ride with $20 mossimo skate shoes from target.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What about platforms on a 150 miler over 3 days? I have the 5.10's but wonder if Kokopelli Trail will kill me on platforms with all the epic climbs?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    No thoughts on an epic ride with platforms? Am I a dead man?

Rb
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Swass
    No thoughts on an epic ride with platforms? Am I a dead man?
    I used to do it all the time. You'll be fine. It's all mental. Just ride and have fun = "epic".

Do look into the 5.10's. Very durable and stick like glue to most good pinned platforms. If you're concerned about weight, you might wanna reconsider. But then again, a true weight weenie would be riding clipped in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Swass
    What about platforms on a 150 miler over 3 days? I have the 5.10's but wonder if Kokopelli Trail will kill me on platforms with all the epic climbs?
    More likely clipless pedals would kill you on the downhills, if you aren't accustomed to them.

If you've been riding platforms, stick with the platforms. I don't think clipless would give you enough of an edge on the climbs to be worth thinking about.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Looks like Rb and I were posting at the same time...

mtbr member
    I don't see why you would want a stiff shoe if its not a cleat shoe. I would prefer a less stiff shoe so I can maintain more of my foot in contact with the pedal. Also I would prefer a flatter tread pattern on the shoe. The Converse look like a perfect shoe in that regard. Except I would also want velcro instead of laces. Sketchers has lots of velcro shoes but the tread pattern is not as flat as I like.

mtbr member
    Vans with waffle tread teamed with Tioga Surefoot MXPRO. Great combo. Tried the Five Ten's, they weren't for me.

Jan 2008
    world industries skate shoe $29.00 at shoe carnival the soles work great with platforms with pins

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Polar Bear
    Vans with waffle tread teamed with Tioga Surefoot MXPRO. Great combo. Tried the Five Ten's, they weren't for me.
    I might stop by the Vans Outlet and get a pair.

Members who have read this thread: 1