Best shoes for endurance racing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Best shoes for endurance racing

I know all feet are different, but what is the collective wisdom on the best type/brand of shoe for multiple hours in the saddle (8-15hours)??

Thanks much!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't think there is a big difference in the shoes you wear for a endurance race vs a regular 2-3 hour race. Some people might say you want a shoe that has a bit of flex in the sole in case you have to walk up some hills in the latter part of a race. I personally use Specialized BG Pro shoes with a carbon sole. Really comfy and no problems hiking which I do a lot in a 24 hour race.

Just get a pair of shoes that you feel really comfortable in. If needed, get some custom inserts for the shoes....that would make a big difference in comfort.

I'd second the OP's request. I've been riding mid-level Shimano's this year; great for hiking, not for 12+ hours on the pedals (toe numbness from the cleats).

Thoughts to help me shop for a better balance would be helpful.

Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LyncStar
    I know all feet are different, but what is the collective wisdom on the best type/brand of shoe for multiple hours in the saddle (8-15hours)??

Thanks much!
    Another vote for the Specialized shoes.

I used to have a fair bit of hot foot, but no more. The major changes were getting a larger size and moving the cleats as far back as they will go in the Specialized shoes. Those two changes made all the difference in the world, especially if you are having any issues right above the cleat. Warmer feet in the cold, too.

I've also used Sole inserts with good results, but the stock Specialized insoles work well too - but this is where everyone really is different. They also make some different insoles that come with shims, but I had nothing but trouble with those. The standard ones are fine...
    Dave

Anything is possible. The impossible just takes longer.

2 Epic

mtbr member
    May 2005

Lake Shoes

Quote Originally Posted by LyncStar

Thanks much!

their vibram soled models have long been held as some of the best for hiking and biking. very comfortable, inexpensive to high-end range. to wear them is to love them.

of particular comfort, durability is the mx305 which still uses laces under its outer tongue.

visit their mtb line here: http://www.lakecycling.com/Category.aspx?CategoryID=32

mtbr member
    Can't go wrong with SIDI...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I would have to say that fit out wieghts the brand.

For me Lake vibram, Shimano Winter Goretex and the Shimano M121 fit great, narrow, heel high instep.

Both the Shimano shoes have a softer rubber sole, that has grip muxh like Vibram.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    I have had the opportunity to race on the following...
    Shimano
    Lake
    Diadora

All 3 brands have worked really well. If I had to pick just one, I would go with the Lake. My feet seem to be happier after long efforts in these shoes. The Lake shoes I am currently using are the MX400 and the MX230.

I have also added Specialized branded insoles to all of my shoes.

Feb 2004

shoes

I've used DMT, Sidi, Lake, and now Carnac in teh last few years. Carnac's are my fave so far.

Lakes - very well built, but the models with Vibram soles are boat anchors. The newer ones with the thinner soles are lighter.

Sidi - least secure heel cup for me, but they conform nicely to many feet. See my detailed review here for disucssion:

http://www.ride424.com/articles/ultimax.php

Whatever you get I recommend an aftermarket a footbed. Currenlty using Sole, been happy with Superfeet in past as well. Have had them in all my shoes of all brands for last 5 years, stock footbeds just don't do it for me anymore.

Dave's cmt on cleat position is key - wrong cleat position will make any shoe, even the right one, painful.

Cheers

mtbr member
    I like the sidi's (a very well worn pair). I used a pair of Nike carbon soles in a 24 hour race last season and immediately went back to my old sidi's. I had used the Nikes and was running them for a long time, but the balls of my feet went numb and were numb for weeks!!

The next one I was sure to wear the sidis and no problems.

mtbr member
    i have the sidi genius 5's and they make my big toes go numb after awhile... ive only been wearing these for like 2 weeks maybe... i guess they just arent broken in yet

Feb 2005
    I've found that shoes with bit more flex to the soles help to lessen foot problems for me, versus a super-stiff sole that causes hot spot and numbness. I'll also recommend sliding your cleats back and tossing the cheap insole that comes stock.

I've been running a lower priced pair of Lakes for 2 seasons, no complaints, this included 400 miles in under 48 hours a week ago, no foot pain.

mtbr member
    May 2005

something to try no matter the shoe

Quote Originally Posted by jonassterling
    ...I'll also recommend sliding your cleats back and tossing the cheap insole that comes stock.

I've been running a lower priced pair of Lakes for 2 seasons, no complaints, this included 400 miles in under 48 hours a week ago, no foot pain.
    Quote Originally Posted by hairball_dh
    Another vote for the Specialized shoes.

I used to have a fair bit of hot foot, but no more. The major changes were getting a larger size and moving the cleats as far back as they will go in the Specialized shoes. Those two changes made all the difference in the world, especially if you are having any issues right above the cleat. Warmer feet in the cold, too.
    among MTB enduros the arch cleat recommendation is an accepted means to eliminate lower leg fatigue (especially achilles tendon problems) when riding very, very long. it definitely makes a diff...w/ hot spots too.

recently this technique has been adapted in some form or another to road riding. its good to see the idea/discussions carry over too cuz sometimes they (roadies) can be more scientific about ideas than we are with our mostly anecdotal experience...not that we're wrong by any means.

see below ongoing cycling news thread on "arch cleats" for more info about it. you may have to sift thru q&a letters-style discussion but there are some gems in there. the fitness q&a letters from the following weeks of 5/8 and 5/15 continue the discussions.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?...7/letters05-01

Really I am that slow

flat pedals and flipflops

I've been using the Syncros Mantal flat petal and simple skate shoes for most of my miles this year. Very nice to hike a bike in. chance for my foot to move about on the pedal for the long rides.

Just my .02
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowerThenSnot
    I've been using the Syncros Mantal flat petal and simple skate shoes for most of my miles this year. Very nice to hike a bike in. chance for my foot to move about on the pedal for the long rides.

Just my .02
    a worthwhile 2c at that, dave nice. you might actually be a good test of arch cleat theory since you platform it. where would you say your position migrates towards when you ride long. my humble guess is your pedal axle ends up further back towards your arch than ball-of-foot, no?

i know when i'm barhopping on the townie that's where mine end up.

Really I am that slow

Yup

Quote Originally Posted by mathewsen
    a worthwhile 2c at that, dave nice. you might actually be a good test of arch cleat theory since you platform it. where would you say your position migrates towards when you ride long. my humble guess is your pedal axle ends up further back towards your arch than ball-of-foot, no?

i know when i'm barhopping on the townie that's where mine end up.
    Prob more at the ball of my foot druing the start of a ride then moves back as the day wears on.... For the life of me could not get my left knee to stop hurting after 6-7 hours in the saddle... Flat pedals it went away! + flats I'm more likely to try the crazy stuff
    Read my BLOG!

just a guy who loves bikes and exploring

Exactly 1/2 of 2-Epic
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jonassterling
    That's some ride - let's hear the story!
    Dave

Anything is possible. The impossible just takes longer.

2 Epic

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

sounds fun

I agree , 400 in 48 on any surface sounds mentionable to me. Lets here those details and lessons learned.

Dallas " I like hearing others tales of adventure." Sigurdur

Oh and as for shoes I've had shimano, specialized (predate BG), Nike ,sidi and northwave but the sidi have been the best hands down. Having said that the pair I have are the ghost and they don't even make them anymore. Good luck finding your dream shoe and don't be scared to try as many pairs as possible on.

Members who have read this thread: 0