Best Shoes?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Best Shoes?

~~~~~~~

Best Shoes?

i need to replace my shoes, but i've only ever ridden Sidi's (since 1998), so I have no idea what else might fit and wear well. I own Sidi Dominators (regular width) - does anyone know of a comparable, but less expensive shoe? I need narrow and fairly stiff with a decent arch. Thanks?

mtbr member
    I really like specialized shoes. Pro Carbons. Especially with the BG footbeds.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    spesh shoes fit me purty good.....and i REALLY appreciate the toe box (i hit things with my lil' piggies)....

i wear the carbon pro somethin' or 'nother....they've held up fairly well...lasting longer than my sidi doms did....but are kinda $$

my .02
    Click Here for Forum Rules

~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by kev1n
    I really like specialized shoes. Pro Carbons. Especially with the BG footbeds.
    you have fat frickin sasquatch feet.

aka dan51
    I like the fit of the Spesh shoes. My only gripe is they wear a hole where the pinky toe is. Mine are a few years old, so hopefully they have fixed that problem. Friggin comfortable though.

mtbr member
    I have the Specialized S-Works. Love them. After 6 to 8 hrs on the bike the feet are the happiest part on me.

~~~~~~~
    wow, lots of votes for specialized. where's the euro trash on this board- carnac, dmt, mavic? ok, don't answer that one. diadora, adidas...

mtbr member
    Yes, but they make a women's specific model that should accommodate your dainty little feet. They don't come in pink though, so they won't match your kneepads.

mtbr member
    Another vote for Specialized Carbon Pros. Very comfortable and mine are holding up great after about a year and a half.

mtbr member

22 years...three pair

Sidi Dominator. They're expensive, but they last, and fit like a glove. I just replace the "rachet" closure, and the spd cleats when needed.
    Every day above ground is a great day!

formerly Gobike69

Specialized

I love my S-Works
    Speed costs money, how fast can you afford to go?

mtbr member
    went from shimano to the sidi dom5's to.....like everyone else, the specialized pro carbons. Pretty comfy as I'm still breaking them in, and the carbon sole puts the power down.

And they don't suck to walk in like the dom5's from sidi

jrm
    mtbr member

Decent Arch

The only way im able to get good arch support with either the sidi or my spec's is using a green superfeet insole. They really make a difference.

Let's ride
    I just put Superfeet insoles in whatever I wear. Works great.
    I like the Shimano shoes, very stiff sole. The bottom sucks for walking, so you should put shoegoo on it, or glue a piece of a tire under the arch. The Sidis fit just a little more of a glove than my Shimano, and Shimano run 1/2 size bigger.

~~~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by bradmtb
    Sidi Dominator. They're expensive, but they last, and fit like a glove. I just replace the "rachet" closure, and the spd cleats when needed.
    yeah, this pair of Sidi's was a disappointment - the heels blew out on both pair within a year- same size and fit- but the inside padding and liner has just ripped right out. the rest of the shoe is in great shape though.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt_Diggler
    yeah, this pair of Sidi's was a disappointment - the heels blew out on both pair within a year- same size and fit- but the inside padding and liner has just ripped right out. the rest of the shoe is in great shape though.
    For all your new rock and cacti friends, you need thick shoes with a nice rubber sole. You can't be wearing lycraboy Sidi shoes out there.

My Sheeemano's are not glamorous but they work.

For tires, Conti is always king for quality. Kenda Nevegals and Kenda Excavators are the cat's meow.

And there's a new boss in the 29er all mountain category. It's the WTB Dissent
    http://reviews.mtbr.com/interbike/re...b-tire-lineup/. It's so big, Shiggy and I had to get a bigger room here in Vegas since his loot occupied too much space.

You should abandon the desert and get back here Dirk. We'll go to Switchbaxr's house and you guys can iron chef battle and feed me.

fc
    IPA will save America

~~~~~~~
    FC- i need your help!!! you know how I ride. Turner RFX (6.4 inch) with Float 36 or Five spot with TALAS 32 150? I can save about two pounds with the Spot, but will it be as fun descending? i know you're busy, but help.

fc
    head minion Administrator
    I think RFX with Float 36. Those big forks are bootiful. The 5-spot is really aged too and that forks sounds too long and skinny.

Your terrain is tech over there too I hear.

I am glad you're trying to boost the economy btw. You get a high paying job or sumptin?
    IPA will save America

~~~~~~~
    yep- its technical.

check out my ride report from yesterday- cross post from the Turner forum.

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=557866

mtbr member
    Sounds like you have a Turner hook-up, but this is a pretty intriguing bike as well...

http://reviews.mtbr.com/interbike/pi...e-impressions/

mtbr member
    +1 for Sidi Dominators. Mine have about 15k miles on them and no sign of wearing out yet. I see that some of you like the Superfeet.
    Anyone tried e-soles? Worth the $$?

mtbr member
    Rockin' the Shimano's here. And I'm putting my brand new Kenda Nevegal tires on.

jms
    mtbr member

Italian shoes for me

Quote Originally Posted by CHUM
    spesh shoes fit me purty good.....and i REALLY appreciate the toe box (i hit things with my lil' piggies)....

i wear the carbon pro somethin' or 'nother....they've held up fairly well...lasting longer than my sidi doms did....but are kinda $$

my .02
    Yeah, I'm sure those stiff carbon soles are awesome when you're pushing the baby jogger down to Starbucks on Saturday morning. I can almost here the clippity-clop now.

Sidis are still my choice - and they're [almost] reasonable too through Chain Reaction Cycles. Y'all can keep those Chinese Death Camp specials from Shimano and Specialized, nobody makes shoes like the Italians!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddio
    I love my S-Works
    +1 on the Spech S-works.. I use them for both road and mtb.. so comfortable.

mtbr member
    I have the lower-end Specialized shoes (no carbon), and they fit just as well as the expensive ones, but weight a bit more and cost a lot less. I love 'em.
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

Fireball in the Night
    Pierre Silber makes the best effing shoes I've ever seen on a woman.
    everyone drives a Used Car

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by jms
    Yeah, I'm sure those stiff carbon soles are awesome when you're pushing the baby jogger down to Starbucks on Saturday morning. I can almost here the clippity-clop now....
    the clippity-clop puts mini-CHUM to sleep.....thankyouverymuch....

hrmph......

Click Here for Forum Rules

Older than I feel
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Skidmore
    Pierre Silber makes the best effing shoes I've ever seen on a woman.
    Are you sure it was a woman??
    Work is the curse of the biking classes.

Fireball in the Night
    Quote Originally Posted by chucko58
    Are you sure it was a woman??
    Ask any pro dancer... she will know Pierre's shoes.
    everyone drives a Used Car

pvd
    mtbr member
    Specialized BG Sport MTB Shoe. It's cheap. It's stiff. It has no stupid buckles to jam or break.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc...=9309&eid=4927

Sidi makes some of the worst MTB shoes. They usually last about a year before the footbed caves in, and that's if the outside hasn't fallen completely apart. Don't waste your money on that junk.

J
    ROOOOOOOO
    Quote Originally Posted by jms
    Nobody makes shoes like the Italians!
    Correct. Furthermore, Sidi makes 2 things, therefore all of their energy goes into:

Cycling Shoes
    Motorcycle Boots

I've struggled with the high price myself, but it comes down to fit. Nothing fits my foot like a Sidi. I've tried a bunch of other shoes. Also, my last pair lasted for about 6-8 years.

mtbr member
    I have Sidi Doms with SuperFeet inserts and love them. The oem inserts are crap and should be replaced before the first ride.

I also have Spesh BG Comps, which I got on the tip that the non-carbon ones are a bit less stiff, which I wanted for endurance races. This is true, but I get hot spots with these about 4 hours into a race. I get them with the Sidis too, but not as bad. Still searching for 'that' right one.

Both of these are excellent for 2 hour rides, or even 5 hour rides with standard amounts of stops, just not 8 hours of continuous pedalling.

Weird huh?
    I've ridden Sidi my whole life (save for a couple year stint in Detto Pietros). I've got Sidi Dragons now, they'll be 2 years old in December. The ratchet mech has been replaced once, the replaceable sole lugs are on the 3rd set, and the velcro front straps don't hookup any more.
    I've prolly averaged 3-4 rides a week since I've had em, the last 6 months almost exclusively on a cross bike with lots of road time.

I'm switching to Mavic.

Cheers

El Cid is Spanish for The Cid..
    cmdrpiffle 7 points 1 day ago
    Cinco de Mayo is Spanish for Cinco de Mayo

Members who have read this thread: 0