Best Shoes

Printable View

• 06-30-2008
    paintballpunk687
    Best Shoes
    Hey guys i'm just starting to get into dh/freeride and have some experience so far but what would everyone suggest for shoes to use while doing dh/freeride?
  • 06-30-2008
    kenbentit
    For platforms, 5.10's are pretty much the gold standard.
  • 06-30-2008
    Jettj45
    5.10's hands down.
  • 06-30-2008
    Uncle Cliffy
    Red leather knee high stiletto boots... If those don't work, then you should get 510 Impacts...
  • 06-30-2008
    ledzepp4life
    search function. aka 5.10's
  • 06-30-2008
    congarong
    5.10 so sticky so grippy so rigid !!!! get them
  • 07-01-2008
    paintballpunk687
    so im thinking of maybe getting 5.10s?
  • 07-01-2008
    congarong
    amen !!!!
  • 07-01-2008
    bad andy
    I was at Diablo this weekend... I couldn't count all the 5.10s

You can't go wrong with 'em
  • 07-01-2008
    MTB_prodigy
    there is no other like it
  • 07-01-2008
    MBFISH
    High top 510s
  • 07-01-2008
    SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Cliffy
    Red leather knee high stiletto boots... If those don't work, then you should get 510 Impacts...

I thought they were suede knee high stilettos...boy am I going to look like a dork now on the trails

plus having a problem of breaking off stiletto
  • 07-01-2008
    MTB_prodigy
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MBFISH
    High top 510s

:thumbsup: +2
  • 07-01-2008
    paintballpunk687
    so the high tops work better than the low?
  • 07-01-2008
    MTBAlex
    I got the Marzoochi Bomber shoes which is the 5.10 but with some upgrades. I love those shoes and would not hestitate to buying another.
  • 07-01-2008
    kenbentit
    High vs Low is more a matter of personal preference. Some guys like the extra ankle support while others like the mobility of the low top.
  • 07-01-2008
    Freerydejunky
    Im gonna say 661.

but then again im retarded
  • 07-01-2008
    bigmike00
    Get these handicapped retarded looking things from shimano.
  • 07-02-2008
    Hiramson
    As newbie in DH (just 3 days practicing), all monitors & experienced peopel I talked recommend me 5-10 boots just for 3 reasons:

1.- Ankle protection internal injuries: sprain anke, etc.
    2.- Anke protection external injuiries: impacts, crashes, etc.
    3.- Excepcional grip.

Just this was my choice:

• 07-02-2008
    pinknugget
    Anyone have time on those handicapped, retarded shoes from Shimano? For some reason I kind of like the way they look. I guess we have choices to make in life....when riding, do we want to look like we are handicapped or a member of the Imperial forces.
  • 07-02-2008
    bad andy
    Vans with the gum sole are tried and true as well.
  • 07-02-2008
    2ndgen
    When riding my GF Opie on pavement for jumping and aggressive street riding,
    I've preferred my Timberland Hiking Boots to my Nike Running Shoes.

But, I know that a lighter more flexible boot would be the order of the day.

The 5.10's look like boots, are more substantial than regular sneakers,
    and seem to have great benefits over sneakers.

I'm looking for something between those 5.10's and a hiking boot,
    kind of like what a cross training sneaker does for runners/weighlifters, etc...

Any suggestions for a boot/shoe I can use for general use that'll be good
    for the kind of biking do? (Street/Some trail)
  • 07-02-2008
    2ndgen
    After a little research I've found these Timberland Trailscapes for biking/hiking...Anybody use them?

I love the ruggedness of boots, but feel like I need more flexibility in a the ankle area and because I use my feet a lot when I do some minor tricks (which are mostly jumping, footing walls, etc...), I'd like to keep that area pretty clear.

In my trade (Roofing), I wouldn't work with anything less than ankle high boots and know the benefits to having that support. But on my bike, I want flexibility.

(To be completely honest, I'm a Timberland Man so I go to them first, so brand means a lot to me.)

"The Trailscape series are endurance hikers that perform on all kinds of terrain and in any conditions. Special features include premium full-grain leather combined with breathable, lightweight open-air mesh and a Timberland® Agile IQ stability plate, which allows for flex while running and remains stiff while pedaling for more power. These shoes are just as comfortable on a trail and a bicycle, as they are on a city street.

Timberland® Agile IQ system with a three-quarter length stability plate for forefoot flexibility while running yet remains stiff while pedaling for more power and a starburst in the heel keeps the heel in place for superior control and responsiveness which allows for flex

Weight: 1 pound, 15 ounces per pair "

https://www.timberland.com/product/i...entPage=family

• 07-02-2008
    Windowlicker
    those are ugly.
    uglier then the 5.10s
    lol
  • 07-02-2008
    2ndgen
    See?

That's what I don't like about the 5.10's.

They look too much like late 80's Homeboy Breakdancing Sneakers.

The Timbs look like their ready to scurry up a mountain with no problem.

This...

VS this...
  • 07-02-2008
    elbry
    5-10's, one ride and you will not want to run skate shoes again
  • 07-02-2008
    GetDirty
    5.10's don't look like homeboy shoes to me. More like the slippers the hospital issues. Or something from a nursing home. Any pair of vans with the waffle bottom and a thick toungue work nicely. I use Nike 6.0's currently.
  • 07-02-2008
    liqwid
    I like flipflops
  • 07-17-2008
    paintballpunk687
    your right i didnt have them in time for when i went dhing at killington, came the day i was there... of course but i just tried them at the local trails which is mostly all mountain and i used them with my platform pedals.... no words can explain how amazing they are compared to skate shoes/hiking boots thanks for the suggestions!
  • 07-17-2008
    paintballpunk687
    i got the five tens, your right i didnt have them in time for when i went dhing at killington, came the day i was there... of course but i just tried them at the local trails which is mostly all mountain and i used them with my platform pedals.... no words can explain how amazing they are compared to skate shoes/hiking boots thanks for the suggestions!
  • 07-17-2008
    TLL
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 2ndgen
    After a little research I've found these Timberland Trailscapes for biking/hiking...Anybody use them?

Those shoes would pretty much suxxors, as the surface is not designed to grip a pedal or skateboard: but if they work for you, well fine.

Here is my shoe calculus:

510s/Marz>Nike Skate or Vans gum rubber> 661s>anything else
  • 07-17-2008
    whitey89
    You can never go past the 5.10s for flats. They are amazing!
  • 07-17-2008
    juanbeegas
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmike00
    Get these handicapped retarded looking things from shimano.

Seriously? The Shimanos look retarded, but the 510s don't?