Best Product for Waterproofing Apparel- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Best Product for Waterproofing Apparel

With winter just around the corner, I am starting to think about my cold weather riding gear. The other threads on this topic are pretty old. I have an awesome Patagonia shell that is my favorite riding jacket, but it could use some help regaining it's waterproofing ability.

In the past I have used: https://www.rei.com/product/783563/n...ofing-duo-pack

... I still have half a dose of this left, so I will most likely use it again. That being said... I'm really not sure how well it performs. Last time I used it I never really ended up in rain for quite a long time.

The other product I have used that definitely works (for a short period of time, but it works) is the scotch guard spray.

Anyone have any input on a proven solution?

mtbr member
    I prefer the nikwax spray over the wash in stuff . With that I'm intetested to here of any better products. I live in the PNW so rain for sure.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    With winter just around the corner, I am starting to think about my cold weather riding gear. The other threads on this topic are pretty old. I have an awesome Patagonia shell that is my favorite riding jacket, but it could use some help regaining it's waterproofing ability.

In the past I have used: https://www.rei.com/product/783563/n...ofing-duo-pack

... I still have half a dose of this left, so I will most likely use it again. That being said... I'm really not sure how well it performs. Last time I used it I never really ended up in rain for quite a long time.

The other product I have used that definitely works (for a short period of time, but it works) is the scotch guard spray.

Anyone have any input on a proven solution?
    If you're talking about a hardshell, chances are it's already got a DWR (durable water repellent) finish on it.

Couple things with maintaining DWR finishes - wash them when they get dirty. Should be fairly obvious, but the dirt particles damage the finish and wear the fabric. Second, you may not have to go all the way to using another DWR product, depending on how long it's been since the garment has been treated, and how hard you've used it. You MIGHT be able to get away with simply tossing it in a warm dryer, which warms the old treatment, and gets it to adhere better.

If you've used the gear hard since the last application, then by all means reapply a DWR product.

I've had good results with nikwax products. I like the wash-in stuff better than spray-on, because you get better coverage.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Interesting, so tossing it in the dryer might help it out? I've been avoiding putting it in the dryer forever.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    Interesting, so tossing it in the dryer might help it out? I've been avoiding putting it in the dryer forever.
    absolutely. heat is part of the process of setting any DWR treatment, anyway.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...nwear-dwr.html

How to Restore the Durable Water Repellency of Your Raingear | GORE-TEX Blog

mtbr member
    I had been told that wash-in treatments work better as a waterproofing and will last longer, but that spray-on treatments might preserve the breathability of the fabric better. I've always used Woolite for washing with pretty good success.
    MERCY! MERCY! MERCY!

Bikes in jeans
    Has anyone ever tried this stuff? I've been wanting to get some for a while for a number of non-bike related projects but just haven't yet. Looks totally crazy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7is6r6zXFDc
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MOJO K View Post
    I had been told that wash-in treatments work better as a waterproofing and will last longer, but that spray-on treatments might preserve the breathability of the fabric better. I've always used Woolite for washing with pretty good success.
    I think that depends to a degree on the fabric in question. Not all waterproof/breathable fabrics are the same, but generally speaking they're all laminates with different numbers of layers.

This is a fairly informative page about the tech, I think.

https://www.showerspass.com/pages/wa...ble-technology

If you've got something that's not terribly breathable to begin with, I do imagine that a wash-in DWR would make a notable decrease in breathability. But if won't have that much of an effect for fabrics that are quite breathable already. Good thing about DWR is that it does wear out over time. So you can certainly switch between wash-in and spray-on treatments.

I'm the sort to minimize re-treatments of DWR, and I'll use the dryer to refresh the factory DWR finish until it doesn't work anymore. Minimizes any losses in breathability, which you'll still get from a spray-on DWR treatment, btw, because it'll still soak through the outer layer of the fabric and get to the membrane underneath..

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jestep View Post
    Has anyone ever tried this stuff? I've been wanting to get some for a while for a number of non-bike related projects but just haven't yet. Looks totally crazy.

Never tried it, but I think if I did, I'd put it on something that's not remotely waterproof at all, and leave the hardshell at home.

●●●●●●●●◌◌

I'll go out on a limb, and use the "no free lunch" principle. In other words, I'd expect this to make the materials decidedly non-breathable if a solid, even coat is applied.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

I tried some of their early two part stuff on non-porous things. It initial worked but wears off extremely quickly. Two part application was kinda a pain too. DOn't know about this newer stuff.

For tech clothing I like McNett Revive-X spray on. Spray on so can put it where I want and not anywhere else.