Best Pedal to use with Trail Running Shoes- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Best Pedal to use with Trail Running Shoes

OK, I asked this question in the downhill section but I am getting more of an answer related to people using like fiveten shoes and not Trail Running shoes with spikes on them and not flat shoes... I have a 2008 Stumpy and Safire and both my wife and myself do Xterra Triathlons so we need shoes that have grip in trails and also that can push a bike up a hill if we cant get up it with the bike. So the question is what pedals would you get that will work great with trail running shoes like the Saloman XA 3D Ultra.... http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7376358/c/130112.html

Thanks for replies...

Do you think the Wellgo MG-1 will work with these shes or only with flats?

Oct 2005
    Yes with flat pedals most are using skate shoes to give the best grip.
    But as you are running as well, you have to compromise.
    The best approach might be to get longer pedal inserts.

Good luck

Oct 2007
    i have mg1's, they dont have a lot of spikes on them, and the ones they do have are small.

the knobs on your shoes very may well raise the shoe off the spikes and give you less traction. your best bet would be like a beartrap type pedal.

mtbr member
    Easton Flatboys!

I AM I AM

Those shoes don't look too bad. Tread is probably as deep as my Yosemite Loafers, and they seem to grip better than any other shoes I've tired.

Even my steel capped work boots seem to give good enough grip - they're Oliver AT's, and as you can see they have a pretty hard sole and deep tread, so not what you would call ideal by most standards.

The Pedals I'm running are DMR V12 Mags - cheaper versions being the V12's & V8's depending on your budget.

Just look for pedals with decent pins that are distributed at least around the outer of the pedal. Weather you go for light weight pedal (magnesium) and sealed bearings depends on your budget. Like others have said there will be a compromise, but I reckon you'll be fine with something like the MG-1's and ohters you're considering.
    Last edited by ducktape; 07-17-2008 at 01:33 AM.

nnn
    mtbr member
    I've used V8s and V12s with my Merrells for years and always felt I had more than enough grip for anything from climbing to alpine decents.
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com

Is that Bill rated?

Change your shoes.

I am going to assume that as you are competing in races speed is a primary concern. In that case the small amount of time that you lose changing shoes will be more than made up by the increased speed you will realize by running clipless pedals on your mountain bike with the appropriate shoes. You will not see any elite XC racers on flats! There are many quality cycling shoes, such as the Lake MX101 or the Specialized Taho, that also allow for good performance while walking so you would have no problem walking up the sections that you find too difficult to pedal.
    If you are adamant about riding on flats most pedals will give you adequate grip front to back with your trail runners, but given the spacing between the lugs on the sole you will encounter difficulty with side to side slip. I would imagine that a pedal like the Syncros Mental would be your best bet because of it's very deep traction pins. On the flipside, most people running pedals with that kind of meat tenderizer profile wear armour on their shins because you are only one slipped pedal away from stitches. Other things to consider: flats tend to pedal better from the middle of the foot so you may need to adjust your riding position to compensate. Flats are wider from side to side and may give you more grief when walking beside your bike. Flats can weigh close to twice as much as clipless pedals.
    Well, it was a good try.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I feel your pain, but I'd stick with clipless. I occasionally enter adventure races which have the same type of on the bike off the bike courses, though the adventure races often have some 'hike a bike' sections.
    I recently got some clipless shoes with a little more traction that are be easier to walk in (love my Sidis, but hiking on rocks, especially traversing a slope hurts like hell).
    If you end up ditching the clipless I'd suggest going old school ghetto and using plastic toe clips without the straps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I bought the mg-1's

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gigabyte772
    I bought the mg-1's
    give em a try. I don't understand all the negative comments people made. If it's not an easy option to change shoes, I would use trail shoes and flats.
    You may not get as much grip as with skate shoes or 5-10s, but they should not slip off too easily. I have used hiking boots on MG1s (winter option) and they are ok. If your trail shoes have very hard soles, then you could have problems with grip for sure.

You will lose pedaling efficiency in comparison to using SPDs though.

TLL

Apr 2008
    yes, they will work . .

I AM I AM
    Let us know how you go!

Brackish
    OK, I asked this question in the downhill section but I am getting more of an answer related to people using like fiveten shoes and not Trail Running shoes with spikes on them and not flat shoes... I have a 2008 Stumpy and Safire and both my wife and myself do Xterra Triathlons so we need shoes that have grip in trails and also that can push a bike up a hill if we cant get up it with the bike. So the question is what pedals would you get that will work great with trail running shoes like the Saloman XA 3D Ultra.... http://www.zappos.com/n/p/p/7376358/c/130112.html

Thanks for replies...

Yes, those things bite! My wife has them on her Bottle Rocket and loves them. I use cheapo Wellgos on my commuting bike with running shoes and they work fine, and I use the Wellgo B-67 on my Coiler for trail rides (when not using Mallets) and they've worked great for years. The B-67s have a nice, wide foot bed for larger feet.

Members who have read this thread: 0