Best open faced helmet for xc (looks count !)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2015

Best open faced helmet for xc (looks count !)

Been looking for a nice helmet that doesn't make me look like a mushroom. Most mtb helmets look like they sit up too high.. I hate this look. Currently have a Bell super 2r, and like it pretty well, as it sits down better than most, but been wanting something different. Looking at poc tectal, and tld A1 / A2, but open to suggestions

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Specialized ambush is the lightest enduro style helmet on the market and has the best ventilation. It also fits my head perfectly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I hear the mushroom look is coming back for next year, hang on to your old helmet!

mtbr member
    All helmets make you look stupid, or pro depending on ones point of view. Get the color you like and avoid mirrors when trying them on.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Lol...honest responses
    Ok... but what is the least stupid looking / best looking helmet.. opinions?

mtbr member
    I own both mentioned, Bell Sup 2 and TLD A1 reflex and they both fit my head well. More importantly both front pads can easily be cut out to fit a Sweat Buster pad which is highly recommended if you don't ever want a single drop of sweat dripping down your face. TLD seems to fit a bit lower on my head.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Lots of factors to consider. Your headshape plays a role too as it can cause some helmets to sit higher. You really just have to try a bunch on and see which fits the best.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

mtbr member
    I have the TLD, but I got it because it had the best coverage for the sides and lower back part of my noggin, and being bright yellow, even the Strava guys see me. People compliment me constantly on my helmet, just never on my face or riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I have the TLD, but I got it because it had the best coverage for the sides and lower back part of my noggin, and being bright yellow, even the Strava guys see me. People compliment me constantly on my helmet, just never on my face or riding.
    Thinkin pretty hard about the TLD. Really like the looks/ colors of those. Is yours the blue & yellow? Wondering if the TLD 2 is worth the $ over the TLD 1 ?

mtbr member
    Another vote for specialized helmets. They look the best when wearing imo. Their apparel & seats are tops.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Best open faced helmet for xc (looks count !)-img_3264.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by splitendz View Post
    Thinkin pretty hard about the TLD. Really like the looks/ colors of those. Is yours the blue & yellow? Wondering if the TLD 2 is worth the $ over the TLD 1 ?
    This in Vertigo yellow:
    Troy Lee Designs A1 MIPS Bicycle Helmet VERTIGO A-1/Bike/BMX/MTB/Downhill | eBay

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Wow...that's super bright ! I like it !

mtbr member
    I hear you about the mushroom look. Trying to avoid it while needing L/XL helmets too. I and my teammates race XC in standard road helmets (common thing). When I train/ride XC wearing my race kit I use road helmet too (Kask is my ticket here). When I train on trails in baggy clothes I use Alpina helmets (look great and are small volume; I have Valporala XC and Seheos); on more challenging terrain I use super light and low volume Alpina King Carapax full face. While possibility of serious issues is present I use bulkier but super light MET Parachute full face. Not sure if Alpine is sold here in US but I get it from my distributor in Euro (Alpine web site - www.alpina-sports.com)