Best non full face helmet?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Best non full face helmet?

Looking into a new XC style helmet. I thought I'd bite the bullit and try a Giro Xen. It is billed as a hybrid XC / skate lid. Nice helmet except I notice my head is hotter than my last Giro Gila. I looked in the reviews section and the Giro Pneumo an E2 have good reviews. Any recomendations or opinions on these helmets? Thanx

Apr 2004
    I have the E2, and it fits like a dream. I can't speak for ventilation, as it's still cold here, but there are a ton of vents. My co-worker has the Xen and it doesn't seem to have as many.

Jm.

Jan 2004
    I had the Semi-MX and it was way too hot. It also seemed to let the sweat go all at once, which was terrible. I use an E2 right now and it is great, no complaints, it's a great helmet.

For some people bells fit better, and for others the giros fit better, they both make some good helmets. I've always been a giro-guy.

Mar 2004
    Also a satisfied E2 user here. I've tried other Giro and Bell helmets but I like the E2 the best for fit and design. Very comfortable and has large vents for those hot days.

Trail rider and racer
    I don't know if these helmets are available in the US but MET helmets have been my choice ever since I got into cycling.

I ride the 5* Element which is a light weight XC race orientated helmet. I use it both on the MTB and on the roadie and find it perfect for really hot conditions because of all the vents.

Trev!

Jun 2003

The E2.

My new E2 is the stuff dreams are made of as far as helmets go. Super light, lots of vents, and fits great. If you are a hothead, (sweaty) this helmet is a must.

Bike Junkie

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by keen
    Looking into a new XC style helmet. I thought I'd bite the bullit and try a Giro Xen. It is billed as a hybrid XC / skate lid. Nice helmet except I notice my head is hotter than my last Giro Gila. I looked in the reviews section and the Giro Pneumo an E2 have good reviews. Any recomendations or opinions on these helmets? Thanx
    I'm using a 2003 Giro Zen (Titanium colour) I like it a lot. The vents are adequete, it has the same RocLoc 4 system that that the E2 has on it. The straps are integrated into the helmet so there isn't as much twisting as I've experienced with my much older Giro helmet.

I agree that other Giro helmets did not fit my head, Gila included so I was using Bell for a while.
    See You On The Trails!

Unshaven Yak

E-2

I've had an E-2 for a couple of seasons now. I've replaced the velcro where the elastic straps from the rocklock attach to the sides, but other than that, it's been the best helmet I've ever had. I had a top of the line Bell before this & I like the E2 much better as the bell stablizer unit completely fell apart & is currently held together with an elastic band of my own making.

I will be buying another E2 soon (just for that fresh smell). My current one has several dents where my bike has hit me in the head in crashes.