Best Lightweight Knee Pads? Leatt, G Form, Dainese, Slytech, Ixs- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 28 of 28
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AaronJobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    870

    Best Lightweight Knee Pads? Leatt, G Form, Dainese, Slytech, Ixs

    Please chime in if you own any! I had a pretty bad knee injury due to my poc vpd 2.0 sliding down my knee in a high speed crash last summer while I was on a bike trip and Im looking to replace them with something different. I really like the looks of the g form and the leatt because of how high the material goes up the thigh however I have heard good things about the Dainese Trail Skins. Any input is appreciated. Cheers!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: IPunchCholla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    699
    I have the G-form pads. I wear them every ride and have put them to use in a few crashes. They work as advertised and have never skipped down in a crash. Fastest I think I have crashed with then is 15 mph or so. They also have good customer service.

    But if ie was going to get odd today,I would give a serious look to the leatt version. It's certified and getting good reviews.
    It's just a flesh wound!

  3. #3
    Always in the wrong gear
    Reputation: Impetus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,458
    Alpinestars Paragon knee pads.
    Durable, work well and are inexpensive.

    I ride in mine literally every ride, and have crash-tested them on several occasions.
    I have zero complaints with them. They are 'slip-on' and not 'strap-on' which means you put em on at the car, and they stay on the whole ride, but they're so comfy it's not a problem. I've forgotten I had them on and driven home wearing them at least twice.
    The full mesh back means they're cooler than a neoprene/webbing strap.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronJobe View Post
    Please chime in if you own any! I had a pretty bad knee injury due to my poc vpd 2.0 sliding down my knee in a high speed crash last summer while I was on a bike trip and Im looking to replace them with something different. I really like the looks of the g form and the leatt because of how high the material goes up the thigh however I have heard good things about the Dainese Trail Skins. Any input is appreciated. Cheers!
    What do you think made the POC'S slide down. I've read a lot of good feedback on them?

  5. #5
    DOOM
    Reputation: silentG's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    505
    I have used the Leatt 3DF knee for about 8 months. They are light, breathe well, and I don't really notice that they are present.

    I have had a spill or two with them and they have done the job.

    The only knock on them compared to the Fox Launch and 661 Kyle Straits I have had prioris that the mesh on the back of the pads gets snagged by my pedal pins if I am standing up, come off the pedals, etc.

    The net result has been less durability on that part of the pad compared to these other pads.

    I'm thinking about trying the TLD KD5400 but that would be more of a try something new than a judgement on the Leatt which I would be just fine using once my pair give out.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AaronJobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    870
    Quote Originally Posted by TomW in KC View Post
    What do you think made the POC'S slide down. I've read a lot of good feedback on them?
    Well I have always felt that when you get sweaty they start sliding and I had the correct size, also sliding on rocky ground at 25mph probably didn't help. I will say this I emailed poc with my situation and they mailed me a pair of the dh version at no charge! Great customer service.!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AaronJobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    870
    And I think it was also because the vpd 2.0 top strap sits relatively low, I noticed the dh version upper strap is much higher.

  8. #8
    I quit e-MTBR
    Reputation: OldManBike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,175
    Lots of feedback on the Daineses here:

    http://forums.mtbr.com/apparel-prote...ns-919913.html

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    968

    7iDP Control Knee Pad

    I just came across these.....Control Knee ....Covert Knee Really interesting concept, and based on the profile of the 7 people who started up the company, might be something to consider. I know I am.

    I currently have the iXS Flow's and the Dainese Trail Skins. I REALLY like the Flow's. I haven't had enough time with the Trail Skins yet to give a fair comparison between the Flow's.
    2019 Rocky Mountain Altitude C70 Custom
    2018 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom
    2018 Orange Alpine 6 Custom
    2017 Knolly Warden Custom

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: AaronJobe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    870
    Thanks for the feedback! Vital and pinkbike gave the trail skins great reviews.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    168

    +1 for 7iDP...

    Quote Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    I just came across these.....Control Knee ....Covert Knee Really interesting concept, and based on the profile of the 7 people who started up the company, might be something to consider. I know I am.
    I've been pretty happy with my 7iDP Control Knee pads. The front plate seems to be pretty durable. I fell into some rocks and didn't feel any rocks against my knee. But I did notice a few indentations on the front plate.

    Found this review:
    http://http://www.vitalmtb.com/produ...rol-Knee,13155

    The Covert Knee looks like a good option too. It has removable pads so that you can customize the amount of protection based on where you are riding. I may get a pair of these for the wife:
    7iDP Covert Knee Pad - Reviews, Comparisons, Specs - Mountain Bike Knee/Shin Pads - Vital MTB

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    968
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatoichi View Post
    I've been pretty happy with my 7iDP Control Knee pads. The front plate seems to be pretty durable. I fell into some rocks and didn't feel any rocks against my knee. But I did notice a few indentations on the front plate.

    Found this review:
    http://http://www.vitalmtb.com/produ...rol-Knee,13155

    The Covert Knee looks like a good option too. It has removable pads so that you can customize the amount of protection based on where you are riding. I may get a pair of these for the wife:
    7iDP Covert Knee Pad - Reviews, Comparisons, Specs - Mountain Bike Knee/Shin Pads - Vital MTB
    Yeah I read both of those reviews. Looks like I'll be going with the Covert. I definitely like the option of changing the configuration of the padding.
    2019 Rocky Mountain Altitude C70 Custom
    2018 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom
    2018 Orange Alpine 6 Custom
    2017 Knolly Warden Custom

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatoichi View Post
    I've been pretty happy with my 7iDP Control Knee pads. The front plate seems to be pretty durable. I fell into some rocks and didn't feel any rocks against my knee. But I did notice a few indentations on the front plate.

    Found this review:
    http://http://www.vitalmtb.com/produ...rol-Knee,13155

    The Covert Knee looks like a good option too. It has removable pads so that you can customize the amount of protection based on where you are riding. I may get a pair of these for the wife:
    7iDP Covert Knee Pad - Reviews, Comparisons, Specs - Mountain Bike Knee/Shin Pads - Vital MTB
    I'm really curious how well the Controls are for pedaling on longer rides. Can you elaborate? How much milage/climbing before you'd be begging for something lighter? They seem to be marketed as pedal friendly but i'm weary. I have the G-Forms now but they do seem a little lighter than my riding/trails warrant.

    Anything you could add would be much appreciated.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by fracaxis View Post
    I'm really curious how well the Controls are for pedaling on longer rides. Can you elaborate? How much milage/climbing before you'd be begging for something lighter? They seem to be marketed as pedal friendly but i'm weary. I have the G-Forms now but they do seem a little lighter than my riding/trails warrant.

    Anything you could add would be much appreciated.
    What would you define as a longer ride?

    I've been on several rides that cover over 10 miles and have not felt that the Control knee pads were heavy. There have been a few times that I stopped long enough that I could feel that there was some moisture from sweating being held in the pads.

    The only nit-pick that I have about the pads are that the label tags are located along the top edge of the material that holds the pads against the back of the thigh. The tags can become uncomfortable if they a bunched up under the material. I always pull the tags out from between my leg and the material. I guess that some point I should just cut the tags off.

    That said, I've always been happy to have them on.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    160
    15-20 miles or so is a longer ride for me. I'm really liking the hardshell front on the Controls. More than a few times I have been victim to sliding out with softshell pads and finding they get caught on something and pull out of position leaving me exposed. I'm hoping the hardshell will slide better and 7iDP looks to have put together the most "pedal friendly" hard-shells.

    In addition to the gforms I have some POC's that I like but the bunching behind the knee kills it for me for anything longer than 10miles. The Control's look like they may be better in that regard.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by fracaxis View Post
    I'm hoping the hardshell will slide better and 7iDP looks to have put together the most "pedal friendly" hard-shells.
    The hard shells are one of the main reason I bought these knee pads. They have proven their worth several times. On a recent ride, my back tire slid-out from under me after a peddle-strike in some pea gravel on a tight high speed turn. I banged-up my shoulder but the Control knee pads saved my knee from any damage. I've also gone down in a rock garden and again the knee pads prevented any injuries.

    Here's a photo of the knee pad that has taken the most abuse. The buckling towards the top of the knee pad was caused by a rock of some size. The scratches and scrapes were due to the peddle strike.

    Best Lightweight Knee Pads? Leatt, G Form, Dainese, Slytech, Ixs-img_0052.jpg

    Best Lightweight Knee Pads? Leatt, G Form, Dainese, Slytech, Ixs-img_0053.jpg

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    160
    I think I'm going to stop wondering and just order a set of these. With the amount and size of socks in my area its a wonder I haven't done what it looks like you have and split my knee cap in half. The protection the hardshell provides is what I'm after. The Dainese Trailskins are tempting but I really want to step away from the soft covers this go round.

    Thanks for the real world testing and feedback.

    I'll try to pop back in here with a comparison when I get mine.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    160
    So, I ordered both the 7iDP Coverts and the Conrtols. I figured I'd keep the winner after trying both on. The Coverts showed up today and It took me about two minutes to decide to put them back in the box. I really wanted to like these for the sleeve fit and customization of the pads. I just couldn't get over the bulkiness of the pad in front of my knee. They really stick out. That and having no side protection makes me think that it will roll off the knee in a crash event, leaving the knee exposed. The fit was decent and the tailoring on the stretchy material around the upper calf gave a somewhat secure fit. However with only a stretch/sleeve fit and no side padding i'm not too confident. I'm holding out hope for the Controls. Backordered on those until the middle of March.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by fracaxis View Post
    I'm holding out hope for the Controls. Backordered on those until the middle of March.
    JensonUSA has all sizes in stock. They will price match and offer free shipping on orders over $50.:
    7Idp Control Knee Guard > Apparel > Protective Gear > Leg Armor | Jenson USA

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    160

    Best Lightweight Knee Pads? Leatt, G Form, Dainese, Slytech, Ixs

    Thanks for the heads up.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    160
    I got my first ride in today with with the 7iDP Controls. These are just what i was looking for. Surprisingly lightweight for a hardshell, articulate and move very well, decent side protection, and excellent fit and finish. The ride didn't last too long today due to pretty crappy conditions but I could tell they would pedal well for moderate distances. Very happy so far.

  22. #22
    beater
    Reputation: evasive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    5,474
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatoichi View Post
    The only nit-pick that I have about the pads are that the label tags are located along the top edge of the material that holds the pads against the back of the thigh. The tags can become uncomfortable if they a bunched up under the material. I always pull the tags out from between my leg and the material. I guess that some point I should just cut the tags off.
    I agree with this.

    I haven't crash-tested my Controls yet, but hopefully I can keep putting that off for a while. I've worn them on climbs and even 6+ mile road approaches, and they didn't bother me at all. So far I'm really pleased with them.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    9
    In June I got a pair of the Control knees for our rougher local trails and for two bike parks I visited while traveling this summer. On the trails, I stuff them in my pack on the way up and just wear them on the way down. At first, the lower front edge tended to annoy my shins, but after several rides the material softened and now I scarcely notice them. At the park, I did not notice them at all, wearing them up to 6 hours at a stretch. While wearing them, I crashed hard twice on miscalculated doubles and once washing out on a turn at the bottom of a rock garden. In all three crashes, one of my knees took a big hit, being driven into rocks on two of those occasions. The Controls have saved my knees for a fact. They have already paid for themselves several times over.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by fracaxis View Post
    I got my first ride in today with with the 7iDP Controls. These are just what i was looking for. Surprisingly lightweight for a hardshell, articulate and move very well, decent side protection, and excellent fit and finish. The ride didn't last too long today due to pretty crappy conditions but I could tell they would pedal well for moderate distances. Very happy so far.
    How have the controls held up for you during the longer rides?

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by softbatch View Post
    How have the controls held up for you during the longer rides?
    I still really like the controls despite a couple issues. They have a seam on the inside of the knee cup area that he developed some fairly annoying rub. It's only one of them. Doesn't matter which leg I put it on. I think I might be able to get in there and trim back the offending edge. Need to do that. Other than that they're very comfortable for a hard shell.

    I really don't use them for anything longer than 15 miles. For longer rides I've been using gforms with good results. The gforms have now stretched enough with washings/wearing that I'm worried they'd slip and leave me exposed in a rough dismount.

    I just ordered some Leatt airflex pros to replace the gforms. I hope they're just as comfortable.

    The 7idp controls are a good fairly pedal-able hard shell type but for 15-40 mile spins I grab something else.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation: KRob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,056
    Just read a review of these Dakine Slayer pads on Bike mag. Sound like a good option. Can't find them for sale anywhere yet.

    Tested: Dakine Slayer Knee Pads | BIKE Magazine

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1
    If you are looking for lightweight pads from 7iDP take a look at the Transition knee pads. They got great reviews from the media globally such as this review: 7iDP Transition knee pads review - BikeRadar USA

    The Covert pads are more bulky but some people prefer those because of the ability to modify the padding. Most of our EWS racers prefer those with the middle layer of foam removed to get a good balance of pedaling and protection in a slimmer package.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    968
    I have the Covert, and can tell you, out of the 3 pairs of knee pads that I have ( iXS Flow, & Dainese Trail Skins, ) these are my favorites. The different options that the knee pad gives you lets you tailor fit the pad. Outstanding product.
    2019 Rocky Mountain Altitude C70 Custom
    2018 Pivot Mach 5.5 Custom
    2018 Orange Alpine 6 Custom
    2017 Knolly Warden Custom

Similar Threads

  1. Leatt 3df knee pads wash?
    By mapex101 in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-22-2014, 04:45 PM
  2. Leatt 3DF Knee pads?
    By Ozzy43 in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-29-2013, 06:41 AM
  3. All moutain knee pads - Raceface charge or g-form?
    By cbgoring in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-17-2013, 08:47 PM
  4. G-Form Knee Pads
    By lanceuppercut in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-21-2012, 04:32 PM
  5. Love My G-Form Knee Pads!
    By stumpbumper in forum Apparel and Protection
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-05-2012, 11:51 AM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.