• 01-24-2005
    moose8500
    best helmet w/ visor at reasonable price
    hey people, what's the best helmet that most of you use at a reasonable price, preferably with a visor...
  • 01-24-2005
    Asahi
    Quote:

Originally Posted by moose8500
    hey people, what's the best helmet that most of you use at a reasonable price, preferably with a visor...

Bell Influx.
  • 01-24-2005
    Stan LeCupp
    Trek Vapour is a great bargin helmet at around $35 to $40.its by no means the best , although exellent value for money.
  • 01-25-2005
    Cyco-Dude
    depends on how much you're willing to spend. you can find last years (or earlier) bell influx and x-ray helmets for around $35-50. another good one is the giro animas; the '04 goes for about $50-60. you can find them at performance bike and bike nashbar. measure your head so you get the right size and get em on closeout befor they're gone!
  • 01-25-2005
    Call_me_Clyde
    Giro Encinal
    Quote:

Originally Posted by moose8500

I got mine on sale at Performance for $30.00
  • 01-25-2005
    CalEpic
    Don't cheap out on your helmet
    I know everyone has their own budget, but going cheap on your helmet makes no sense. Try them all. Everyones head is different so what may work for me could be crap to you. I would look for lots of vents, and a comfortable fit. A poor fitting, hot as hell helmet on a 90 degree day isn't worth any amount of savings. Whether or not a $100 helmet can protect your melon any better than a $30 helmet I don't know. Find one that fits well, if it matches your bike - double bonus. If the price is good - triple bonus.
  • 01-25-2005
    roadiegonebad
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CalEpic
    I know everyone has their own budget, but going cheap on your helmet makes no sense. Try them all. Everyones head is different so what may work for me could be crap to you. I would look for lots of vents, and a comfortable fit. A poor fitting, hot as hell helmet on a 90 degree day isn't worth any amount of savings. Whether or not a $100 helmet can protect your melon any better than a $30 helmet I don't know. Find one that fits well, if it matches your bike - double bonus. If the price is good - triple bonus.

Fit is the point you're trying to make. All helmets sold in the USA meet safety standards (ANSI/SNELL/whatever) so the more expensive ones are not nec safer than cheaper ones. What the more expensive ones do have are better fit options, better ventilation, lighter weight, snazzy storage/carry pods, special commemorative stickers, etc.
  • 01-25-2005
    TrailNut
    my Bell
    my Bell was $35. white helmet, visor, good retention. comfort is so so
  • 01-25-2005
    moose8500
    nice, I'll look into some of the options and try to try them on as much as possible....
    Thnx
  • 01-28-2005
    OldTeen
    Bell Ukon II is a decent inexpensive helmet. Mold-in shell with nicely adjustable straps. Like others have said, try before you buy. Good comfortable fit is more important than the brand (as long as it meets basic CPSC standards).
  • 01-28-2005
    tl1
    Performance has the Bell influx for $35 dollars right now. I've been thinking about getting a new helmet to replace my 4 year old ones because my health insurance company now reimburses me $35 per year for bike helmets.

https://www.performancebike.com/shop...cfm?SKU=17655#
  • 01-28-2005
    WTB-rider
    Giro Semi MX
    $49.95 w/ free shipping at jensonusa.com

Quasi-skate style,rear coverage and great fit.Around 12 oz., not much heavier than most.